How is Argentina coping?

antipodean, what a very complete post, I can't think of anything to add and there is nothing I would remove.

This is a very big mess. I don't want to be perceived as a broken record because I have already said it a few times, but I really think this goes hand in hand with what you stated: Once borders open, the people who can will be exiting Argentina en masse. There is going to be a lost generation in this country. Even if all the right things were to be done starting today (And I have no idea what the right things are or would be becasue the mess is so huge with so many moving parts???) it would still take 5 to 10 years to right the ship. But given Argentina's past record, this mess will linger for a generation. And I am very sad for that, because a lot of wonderful people do not deserve to pay the penalty for a few.
I agree that an individual per se “doesnt deserve“ that. On the other it is the many that put the few in power (again and again). It is the many, that dont care about corrupt leaders. It is the many who prefer to have an anti-capitalist, protectionist economy.
Often it is described as an external disaster befell Argentina. Apart from the Covid situation (which just is such an external event), Argentina has no one to blame for but themselves. Having a democracy, also implies a responsibility for the voters.

I agree that an individual per se “doesnt deserve“ that. On the other it is the many that put the few in power (again and again). It is the many, that dont care about corrupt leaders. It is the many who prefer to have an anti-capitalist, protectionist economy.
Often it is described as an external disaster befell Argentina. Apart from the Covid situation (which just is such an external event), Argentina has no one to blame for but themselves. Having a democracy, also implies a responsibility for the voters.
Oh, That's a great point too.

I have never met an Argentine who "doesnt care" about corrupt leaders. In fact, I would say about 35% of all conversations are on that subject, nationwide. Doesnt matter the political viewpoint, the age, the amount of money they have- the only subject that will get more Argentines more agitated is which pizza is best.

I have never met an Argentine who "doesnt care" about corrupt leaders. In fact, I would say about 35% of all conversations are on that subject, nationwide. Doesnt matter the political viewpoint, the age, the amount of money they have- the only subject that will get more Argentines more agitated is which pizza is best.
Lets just say that the corruption record of a politician is not really a factor of importance when it comes to elections ...

Very true..! However the Pizza issue is passe out !. Enter Pizzanessa namely Milanesa a la Pizza..! Wow looks great no more tough or starchy dough. Italians must be feeling envious ..?

1595017942388.png

Reminds me of Milanesa a la Napolitana - a dish favored by sumo wrestlers set on gaining a few kilos. :) Per meal....

Lets just say that the corruption record of a politician is not really a factor of importance when it comes to elections ...
But this is hardly unique to Argentina. In every country, voters are willing to pretend "their guy" is not corrupt- look at Trump, or Bob Menedez, in the USA, or Jeremy Hunt or Liam Fox recently in the UK- in fact, in pretty much every country, you can find recent examples of corruption, payoffs, and contracts awarded that shouldnt have been. And that would include all of the democratic western ones, as well as the Phillipines or South Africa or Turkey.

But this is hardly unique to Argentina. In every country, voters are willing to pretend "their guy" is not corrupt- look at Trump, or Bob Menedez, in the USA, or Jeremy Hunt or Liam Fox recently in the UK- in fact, in pretty much every country, you can find recent examples of corruption, payoffs, and contracts awarded that shouldnt have been. And that would include all of the democratic western ones, as well as the Phillipines or South Africa or Turkey.

A cliche..!" Power corrupts, Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely "

Great hopes for the future of Argentina..wow...Former President Menem to remarry his former wife Sulemita after 30 years of separation .

As the Former Pôpe JP 2 said " El Amor es mas fuerte" A Love Story..!.

A Will issue ..? pre mortem..!! Bolocco losing $$

So Argentinians like to talk and complain about corruption but what actions do they actually take? They don't try to change the game, they try to play the same one and just complain about the rules.

Back