How is Argentina coping?

So Argentinians like to talk and complain about corruption but what actions do they actually take? They don't try to change the game, they try to play the same one and just complain about the rules.

Well they do take action ..! They argue about who is MORE corrupt....Just saying..! And releasing from jail, the formerly accused of Corruption during the Previous Government

So Argentinians like to talk and complain about corruption but what actions do they actually take? They don't try to change the game, they try to play the same one and just complain about the rules.

just write in the libro de quejas, that will get your problems solved!

A few years ago I was having lunch at a small restaurant in the Greater Buenos Aires area, and the owner came over and we chatted. He was so passionate about the corruption, that no one's pays taxes. When it was time to pay my bill, i gave him cash, he gave me no receipt, thus the sale was never recorded, thus he would never pay the tax on his sale or income. Yet, he had the time and energy to complain about how the country is full of corrupt politicians and people avoiding taxes. That's Argentina!

A few years ago I was having lunch at a small restaurant in the Greater Buenos Aires area, and the owner came over and we chatted. He was so passionate about the corruption, that no one's pays taxes. When it was time to pay my bill, i gave him cash, he gave me no receipt, thus the sale was never recorded, thus he would never pay the tax on his sale or income. Yet, he had the time and energy to complain about how the country is full of corrupt politicians and people avoiding taxes. That's Argentina!

But this is hardly unique to Argentina. In every country, voters are willing to pretend "their guy" is not corrupt- look at Trump, or Bob Menedez, in the USA, or Jeremy Hunt or Liam Fox recently in the UK- in fact, in pretty much every country, you can find recent examples of corruption, payoffs, and contracts awarded that shouldnt have been. And that would include all of the democratic western ones, as well as the Phillipines or South Africa or Turkey.
You are right about Trump. But he is - I dare to say - a relatively new phenomenon and hopefully an exception (that confirms the rule) in the US. Because he is corrupt, because he does not respect the institutions and separations of power, he is IMO so dangerous for the country (why would you as a citizen obey the laws if the leader of a country is basically lawless?)

I believe that the mentality of historically protestant countries have a far lower tolerance of corruption. Normally you dont get reelected (most of the times if you are involved in a corruption scandal, you dont even make it to the ballot because of the media pressure and also your political party will drop you like a hot potatoe).

5453DF6A-1172-4F0C-9562-2FF56075A232.jpeg
But also Japan seems to be very rigorous about corruption. The justice minister was forced to step down because “re-gifted potatoes to some constituents that he had received from a fellow politician

I believe that the mentality of historically protestant countries have a far lower tolerance of corruption. Normally you dont get reelected (most of the times if you are involved in a corruption scandal, you dont even make it to the ballot because of the media pressure and also your political party will drop you like a hot potatoe).

Yes! I have often wondered about this. Here it seems there is a never-ending expectation and tolerance for "forgiveness" and not just in politics.

My observation and (big, broad and hopefully not offensive) generalization is that many individuals from Latin cultures don't expect to be obliged to clean up their own mess. They just expect to be able to "talk their way out" and pretend it never happened to be able to go back to hugs, kisses and feeling good. It often then results in "unresolved" feuds and grudges simmering away, since "justice" often is considered something for the afterlife, especially for "small" transgressions. For malicious people, it creates the perfect environment for malicious acts since those first "small" transgressions go unpunished, they feel they can keep pushing the limits of social tolerance = impunity.

Whereas in many Asian, protestant, and indigenous cultures, the idea of personal responsibility is much stronger and concepts like "forgiveness" don't involve forgetting or "getting off the hook" without actions or serious consequences in this life, no matter how small the transgression.

Back