how people live?

Generally they are not as needy of material things as North Americans or Europeans, simply because it has never been a way of life.

Upper middle class and affluent Argentines are probably the exception. They love to tell you about their new Iphone 4s or their holidays in Miami.

BROOKLYN said:
how much do u think an asado would cost for 10 people in bsas provincia? with beer and wine,picada, helado included? I may have to pitch in for the cost. its my aunts bday

Becasue the last asado was to celebrate the purchase of my home and was at the daughter's house of the seller (the daughter inherited the house form the seller's mother and they were living there together), I paid $100 USD toward the cost of the carne ($540 pesos). There was more than enough meat and I was given a generous doggie bag (for my pups).

There were about 12 - 15 people there. I really don't know what they spent for the salads, beer, soft drinks, and other food. The biggest cost is always the meat.

and like to show off the new kevingston rugby shirt and wear lacoste sweater wrapped around the neck

steveinbsas said:
Becasue the last asado was to celebrate the purchase of my home and was at the daughter's house of the seller (the daughter inherited the house form the seller's mother and they were living there together), I paid $100 USD toward the cost of the carne ($540 pesos). There was more than enough meat and I was given a generous doggie bag (for my pups).

There were about 12 - 15 people there. I really don't know what they spent for the salads, beer, soft drinks, and other food. The biggest cost is always the meat.
oh ok! thanks... I figured it would be around 100usd. I would buy the meat at a local carniceria by my aunts house. then try to get a keg of beer and a case of 12 bottles of wine.

BROOKLYN said:
oh ok! thanks... I figured it would be around 100usd. I would buy the meat at a local carniceria by my aunts house. then try to get a keg of beer and a case of 12 bottles of wine.

Good plan. Just remember, wine comes in boxes of four and six bottles here and you can't go wrong with Malbec.

Twelve bottles of wine is way too much for ten people. Four 1,125ml bottles (one box) of Viejo Soler Malbec will probably be enough and cost about 60-70 pesos for the box. It's really good for the price.

BROOKLYN said:
how much do u think an asado would cost for 10 people in bsas provincia? with beer and wine,picada, helado included? I may have to pitch in for the cost. its my aunts bday

10 people, 300 grams of meat per person, 3 kilos at an average cost of 35 pesos (chicken/morcilla is cheap, tira de asado/bondiola is expensive) = 105 pesos

Beer & wine = Argentineans are not big drinkers so include sodas and make it 20 pesos per person (a whole asado lasts 4/5 hours right) = 200 pesos

Picada = less than 100 pesos

Helado (I saw Helado at 243 pesos the kilo in Calafate lately... WTF!?) = 150 pesos

--> Drinks are the most expensive imho

Generally, people just don't buy as much stuff... whether they would if they could is another matter, but it doesn't seem to be so ingrained into the culture as it does elsewhere. Obviously, there are people who can afford the latest thing and love to show it off (and I am sure there are some circles where that behaviour is more rife) but I don't see such widespread constant buying and wanting to buy from the people I know here as I see in the UK/US.
As far as large purchases such as houses/cars are concerned, young people (middle class) do get a lot more help with things like that than anywhere else I've seen. Most people I know lived at home until their mid to late 20s and then moved into an apartment that their parents or partner's parents paid for/helped to pay for.
Having said that, over the past couple of years, I have noticed a lot more nice cars on the street and people purchasing a lot in the shopping malls. It makes me think that there is a sector of society doing MUCH better than in previous years...Christ knows how!

Ashley said:
Having said that, over the past couple of years, I have noticed a lot more nice cars on the street and people purchasing a lot in the shopping malls. It makes me think that there is a sector of society doing MUCH better than in previous years...Christ knows how!

Interest free quotas for 24 months!

steveinbsas said:
Interest free quotas for 24 months!

And most of my Arg friends say that you have to spend now , cos if you have surplus cash in the bank , you will lose 25% a year as inflation takes bite...

So it makes sense to spend.

genialf said:
Forgot to add... whenever I DO buy something (clothing especially) it doesn't last long. So it's pricey and shitty.

totally agree! it`s a complete rip-off and quality sucks...most of the stuff is just more expensive than anywhere else. why? they say it`s imported and comes from Europe or the U.S. (or China...).
Stella Artois beer is another example...here it`s "premium beer", the chic clubs and restos are selling it for so much more while in Europe (or in that case Belgium) nobody really cares about Stella Artois - it`s a very normal beer and has the same price as others. high prices can`t be excused by saying it`s coming from "far away" - which i heared several times here. the world became a small place when it comes to trading. the longer i live here the more i think this is what former the GDR must have been like.
or a simple USB-Stick selling for triple the price than in Europe??!! WTF! there`s no reason for that, importing that piece of plastic can`t be that expensive..it`s rip off, nada mas.

Back