How Safe Really Is Ba?

Michaelcorleone

Registered
I have never been to South America but would really like the truth on the safety and economic situation there. I am looking at a 2 month vacation and was going to live in BA for a month. I have been told no Rolexes, nice stuff, etc, intermediate Spanish skills.

Thanks for input.

The places that are dangerous 24/7, you won't go through them.
All areas that the middle class lives, works, and party everyday, are as safe as it can get. During the day, just have to be alert to pickpocketing in crowded places. At night, and by night I mean midnight to 5 am, just be cautious as you'd be in most US cities after 9PM.
And yes, no Rolexes, and don't take out that shiny Galaxy Note or Apple product with the logo reflecting the moon to take pics of that lovely church in San Telmo at 2 AM.

Well let's see, here's a tale from this week (yesterday to be exact). Monday was a holiday and I had to work since I work for an EU company. My manager came in really distraught looking and when we got talking it turned out that he was robbed at gunpoint by two guys that were driving in front of the car he was in, here in Buenos Aires. They slammed on the brakes, blocked the narrow street/road and ran out yelling. He wasn't harmed, they were pissed he didn't speak Spanish and they stole his phone and the $300 ARS in his wallet.

There were two young guys hanging out in the pedmall near my work shaking people down and they tried robbing people at my work.

All this was between 7 AM and 3 PM.

In my opinion the crime is bad. You're not going to get killed, just everything that isn't physically a part of your body can/will be stolen
if you are here long enough...

Happens everywhere. Not all the time, but it happens to a lot of people.

BA is reasonably safe if you don't do anything stupid. Stupid means walking through a slum at any time, walking through certain places after dark, etc, mostly common sense.

If you're like me when you first get here, you'll be suspicious of a lot of places at first because some places are just fine, they seem a little run-down and ominous at night but when you get to know the place you know it's ok. The point is, be cautious as will probably come naturally at first and you should be ok. Definitely try not to dress like a tourist, which in some cases means not necessarily casual (they like to dress well here, even to go to the kiosko, but younger folk it's perfectly acceptable to wear near-rags and have long hair all over - unfortunately I like to dress young), no expensive jewelry unless you know what you're doing and when and where to do it, etc.

Problem is, there are random acts of robbery. Sometimes you won't see it coming, like when the guy with a suit stops to ask you for the time and two other guys come up from behind and one sticks a knife in your ribs.

Wear a watch, even a fake, and you might get hit by a motochorro - I saw an elderly lady attacked by motochorro once in broad daylight near the corner of Paraguay and Uruguay (decent part of town, lots of businesses, never think of it as unsafe, spend a lot of time around there). Two guys on a motorcycle were moving slowly along the left side of Uruguay. Up ahead was the señora, eighty-ish, walking slowly, purse over her right shoulder (never have valuables on the street side). As the motorcycle neared the woman, the driver gunned the bike and the guy on back reached out and grabbed the bag by its strap. The torque caused the señora to spin around once and fall heavily on her back and hit her head. Lots of blood. Shouting and anger and the sound of a motorcycle pealing away at high speed, weaving in and out of the traffic.

Happened to a buddy of mine as well, on Callao near Vicente Lopez, another normally very safe place. He was walking on the right side of the road, a watch on his left hand, snatched off in mid-stride by a motochorro.

I have an extended family - 3 that live with me and a number who live in the city. They've all been victims of pickpockets, some robbed at knife point, two at gunpoint. We've lived here between 9 and 7 years.

I've never been robbed. Never been threatened. Never felt threatened. About half of my expat friends have never been robbed or assaulted.

It all depends on what you do, how you act, where you go, etc. I dress down (not like a bum), I never wear jewelry, I don't take my phone out very often, I certainly don't walk along with ear plugs in listening to music. I've probably been a bit lucky, but one makes one's own luck.

As far as the economy goes, there are enough threads here about that as well. No one really knows when, but we're expecting some sort of downward adjustment, but as to when and how big, it's all up in the air. At least I've not seen any prognostications that I'd want to hang my hat on as well.

you should be absolutely fine for a month-long stay here. You'll enjoy it and you'll have a good adventure under your belt.

Make sure you bring lots of dollars and don't exchange them at the official rate, don't plan on using ATMs or credit cards except for emergencies. Change at the blue rate.

Take the usual precautions as any tourist would. If it looks too good to be true it probably is. Watch out for people getting too close to you.on the metro . Honest people will understand. Whenevr you go anywhere inform yourself before you go. Do not take out a giant map or an expensive GPS to find your way around . Basically look confident. Iff you need to go anywhere off the beaten track ask here about how the area is seen.

Having said all that I don't view BA as any different than any other large city,in some ways it is safer in others more dangerous .There are more I phones stolen in London in front of schools from kids than are here. I read that somewhere. My record until now is flawless,not a victim of crime and I have gone to some strange areas . Don't be intimidated. Things get blown out of proportion.

BA is much less safe than it used to be when I arrived in 2005.
In the last few weeks, my mother in law was robbed outside our front door, some friends of ours had their house emptied of valuables when the front door was smashed down and more tragically, my wife's dentist was gunned down outside his house in San Isidro.
Many of these incidents involve motochorros or gun toting motorbike criminals who know they can get away with the crime.
We take more precautions now than ever.

Unfortunately, in San Isidro [perhaps elsewhere] the police are part of the problem.

Anecdotally there does seem to be a surge of incidents in San Isidro recently, a friend of ours had a friend held up at gunpoint in the house while thieves went through the house taking whatever they needed. Apparently it was a gang of youths or teenagers with an older guy directing them. I saw something in La Nacion recently talking about neighbours in San Isidro coming together to try and do something about it.

Has it something to do with good houses which are not inside barrio cerrados? Apartment living is a little more secure if not in a barrio carredo at least in terms of breakins. Few more doors in an apartment to get through and more chance of disturbing the neighbours in the act if it gets violent.

Put us off the idea of moving out that direction unfortunately.

Have been lucky so far but totally agree that common sense plays a big part when it comes to keeping your stuff. As far as physical violence goes, I actually feel safer walking home from a bar here than I do in my hometown. Everybody needs to stay vigilant for sure, a friend of ours who lives on the 9th floor recently arrived home to find someone had attempted to break in to their apartment and then proceeded to steal everything and trash the apartments on either side of them. We think it was her barking dog that was the saviour. And this was on a Sunday afternoon.

Back