How Safe Really Is Ba?

I'm proud of the honesty here. ElQueso, Gringoboy and others did a great job. For my part, my purse is a decoy. If they speed onto the sidewalk and grab it, I'll be sad to see my $30 purse go but I will also laugh. But it's happened to a lot of people that I know. In the case of one friend, she was knocked down on the sidewalk and her shoes taken, leaving her to walk home barefooted. Since then I have shoes I don't wear unless I'm getting in a taxi and arriving at my destination.

The advice to dress down--but not TOO down is good. I have a good Argentina friend that I really listen to. It is true the women in my area go out looking good. If I see shorts or sloppy dress I can usually bet it is a gringo (warning warning). Many of the locals wear heels, scarves are popular, and most of them look sharp in my neighborhood. I mentioned to my friend I'm going to buy me some of those high-heeled boots and upgrade a bit. He advised me not to. He said you already dress middle class, you speak with an english accent and you are an older lady. Don't make yourself more a target.

Dressing down could do the same if it is TOO "down." If I have people try to hand me tourist stuff I go home and look in the mirror to figure out why! (Hasn't happened for several years). Also walk like you know where you're going. Try to look at the map before you leave your hotel.

For my part I wouldn't pass up seeing B.A. but I would abide by the warnings. Also about jewelry. I had two new people here for immigration and told her not to wear anything gold. She assured me she is from an area where she has to be careful so she knows. So what does she do? Wears a gold chain with a ring on it that her husband gave her and then was ready to leave the country when it got snatched. I said, "I told you not to wear gold." She said, "But it was such a little chain I didn't think anyone would notice" As one person said here, if losing it would really mess you up, then don't wear it. That's my two cents.

I've lived in B.A. for four years and haven't had any personal threats, though my wallet was stolen in the subway and there have been at least two other failed attempts. Otherwise, all is well.

Here's an idea, let's all go to Singapore and start a crime spree!!!!! ,we can make a ton a money and on the plus side we'll give 'em something to be excited about.
Then, of course, we come back here and post how unsafe this city is :p Anyone with me????? come onnnn it'll be funnn!!!

How bout we just start a blog that tracks the days we go without being robbed or involved in some kind of organized crime? I'll start it when I get there in a few days....

I was walking in Puerto Madero a few days ago and some tall, scruffy guy walked past holding something that looked like a gun. He gave me a psycho smile and kept walking. My Cuban friend said, "let's get out of here". I doubt if it was really a gun - or a real gun. Why would a thief walk around with a gun out in the open? My guess is the guy had a few marbles missing and liked to walk around with a toy gun to freak people out - but who knows...

this is talked about all the time..I still think BA is safe as a big city.. if you are drunk out at 4 am and get robbed well... you know... it is not that surprising.....
but I have never had any problem.... I have been here 9 years... but of course I am sort of a big guy and maybe I dont look like an easy victim.. but if you are not a total tourist carrying you iphone and 1000 dollar camera etc... you will be fine.. of course there is crime.... grab a purse grab a cell phone... I saw a guy get his backpack stolen down in the downtown once..... but i think this sort of grab and run could happen anyplace... just think about what you are doing..... be careful and think about what you are doing...

this is talked about all the time..I still think BA is safe as a big city.. if you are drunk out at 4 am and get robbed well... you know... it is not that surprising.....
but I have never had any problem.... I have been here 9 years... but of course I am sort of a big guy and maybe I dont look like an easy victim.. but if you are not a total tourist carrying you iphone and 1000 dollar camera etc... you will be fine..

I'm not a tourist, I live here, I speak Spanish always when I'm in the street. Was it my fault when 2 motorchooros tried to snatch my purse as I walked down the street in Las Canitas in the middle of the afternoon?

Sorry, I just hate when I read that. You can take all the precautions you want, you can blend in completely and you can still be a victim of a crime. Plenty of my Argentine friends and family can attest to that.

I'm not a tourist, I live here, I speak Spanish always when I'm in the street. Was it my fault when 2 motorchooros tried to snatch my purse as I walked down the street in Las Canitas in the middle of the afternoon?

Sorry, I just hate when I read that. You can take all the precautions you want, you can blend in completely and you can still be a victim of a crime. Plenty of my Argentine friends and family can attest to that.
I think both of you are right here. Anyone, despite precautions, can be a victim. And if you are old, weak or incapacitated (drunk, stoned, etc) you are more likely to be a victim. The fact that I have not been a victim is partially I think because I am fit and relatively large and never incapacitated. But I acknowledge that my luck might run out the next time I walk out the door.

Back