How Safe Really Is Ba?

Wow..I'll be honest, the robbery stuff is a little unnerving. I am not some dainty thing, but being solo in a sketchy place where robbery like that comes up a few times in such a small sample size it kind of makes you wonder. Is Buenos Aires the safest City in South America?

Wow..I'll be honest, the robbery stuff is a little unnerving. I am not some dainty thing, but being solo in a sketchy place where robbery like that comes up a few times in such a small sample size it kind of makes you wonder. Is Buenos Aires the safest City in South America?
No.

I don't know how to rate BA in terms of other cities in SA, but I wouldn't think it's too different in any way, really. I don't know if I'd say it's the safest - I actually feel much safer in Asuncion in Paraguay (though it's not nearly as big, a fraction of the size) but I know people who don't agree with me on that one. I know both cities fairly well, though.

Thing is, unless you are going to "1st world" countries you probably won't get any better. And even in those "1st world" countries, in big cities, you can have the same sorts of problems. I just don't think it's quite as likely there as here, but others disagree with on that as well.

Come on down. You'll be fine.

Me neither, I'm pushing 6 and a half feet and I'm stalky but I do not feel safe here. I'm afraid almost everyday I'm going to be robbed (not paranoid afraid, like negatively expecting "is this the day?"). I power walk when I see motor bikes slowing down on small streets, I tell my friends to hide their purses, I don't carry more than $250 ARS, and I have never listened to my iPhone in this city yet.

A girl at work was pulled out of the subway two weeks ago as the doors were closing and had her iPhone stolen. The station guys just shrugged.

Buenos Aires is not the safest city in South America. It's probably somewhere quiet in Patagonia or rural Uruguay.

I'll put it blunt: If the police, justice system and presidents can't catch/get to the bottom of the AMIA bombing by 2013 I doubt when yours/my wallet is stolen/carjacked/phone stolen/B&E/etc. they will do much other than laugh if we tell them.

I was just robbed by a chainsaw wielding paco fiend, smashed in through the 6th floor window hostage raid style. Had one leg and spoke English with a slight home counties accent.

There, brightened that up for everyone.

Not as bad as my barrio. Here in Belgrano last night, 10 drug dealers invaded the building, shot the portero, and killed everyone on the first and second floors. You didn't hear about it on the news because, well, you know the Ks and their media law...

Back