How should I start a job search?

oamter

Registered
Hola all!

I am an about to be University of Vermont graduate/Political Science Major moving to Buenos Aires for an unknown, probably long, period of time! I studied in BA for a year during university and speak Spanish fluently, not surprisingly with an Argentinian accent.
I will soon be fresh out of the school system and am searching for a job in Buenos Aires knowing full well that it will be a difficult process. I am looking for suggestions on how and where to look. It is a daunting endeavor and, though I have been using the connections that I have, I couldn't help but think that the expat community would be one of my best resources. I know about zonajobs and have been looking at Craiglist, thinking that my English will be an asset for anyone posting on that kind of website. My goal is to NOT teach English and of course a paid position would be welcome.

So, is anyone willing to share their secrets, tips, or even bubble-bursting reality checks? I know it will be hard, but I will be going down there SI o SI. In other words, I am tough, determined, and willing to listen!

Thanks for any wise words you can give me.

Olivia

There are many threads about this topic. Use the search tool. As well as a recent conversation called "how many of you want to leave buenos aires". Coming here to do study abroad and coming here to live are 2 completely different experiences. Most expats that come here and stay are usually because of their Argentine partners. Buenos Aires is a tough place to live and getting more difficult with the rising inflation and safety issues. Finding housing is difficult as a foreigner. Expect to pay upwards of 400 dollars a month for a room in a house. Finding work without being legal is difficult as well. You are at an advantage in that you speak Spanish but even than "real" jobs that are willing to hire foreigners without legal documentation are not in abundance. Salaries here are in general quite low. As an example English teachers make around 40 pesos an hour but than they usually only work 20-25 hours a week max. A entry level salary here (if you manage to find something) is probably 3000 - 4000 pesos. I hope this doesnt come across as negative - just trying to give you a realistic expectation. good luck!

Though the following is true anywhere, expats with solid work experience in a field from a recognized geographic area do a lot better than people without it.

I've talked to a lot of recent graduates down here, and I don't think they have it easy job-hunting. Both the good-natured go-getters and the people who haven't had their rough edges knocked off in professional settings seem to struggle. People with experience that can't be had in BA seem to do better.

Also, if it's been awhile since your time here, prices have gone up. Expect BA to be at least expensive as cities in the middle of the US. It appears to me that a great salary here is 8,000 pesos a month, and many recent local grads seem to be working for 5,000 or 6,000 pesos, or even 4,000. And that's people with degrees in serious lines of work like computer programming or engineering. Those aren't hard numbers, so if anyone wants chime in with better info, please do.

If you know how to do something, like write code in a computer language, or do CAD, you might get a job doing that here for much less than you would in the US.

I'd add that people working in bars, hostels, and even teaching English don't seem too happy to me at this point.

You didn't mention what field you are hoping to work in but it is sooo much tougher than the US/Europe to find something relevant, let alone something that pays you enough to live independently.
I've heard that there are jobs available in the IT industry for fully bilingual workers with IT skills (check places like IBM, HP, Reuters - they have an IT section here). A starting salary at somewhere like this is around 5,000/6,000 pesos and will be "en blanco" (sponsored visa, health insurance, tax contributions, etc). I think agencies like Adecco, Manpower, etc. work with companies in this area. Computrabajo.com.ar is another place to try.

Starting salaries in other fields can be MUCH lower - journalism, non-profit work, etc...you'll be lucky if you get 3,500/4,000 and that's WITH years of experience. Jobs themselves rarely become available and when they do, the competition is insane. Other jobs are unlikely to sponsor visas too which is a big issue (expect to pay around 500 pesos for health insurance if you're young, combine that with US$400 rent and it's just not a living wage).

Thanks for the information! Much of it I expected. The salary range (if I am lucky enough to get a salary, that is) is a good place to start. I guess I should mention a couple of things to clarify:

I left BA last August so I am aware of price increases. I am in a relationship with someone from Buenos Aires, so I fully realize that this will not be in any way similar to a study abroad experience. It also means that I cannot be dissuaded from going. I will be staying with an argentine friend for at least the first couple of months so rent will not be jacked up on account of my being a foreigner. And finally, I am open to just about any field, though I do not have the technical skills to work in IT.

I guess the search will just have to continue. Thanks again!

I'd smuggle in as much Cabot cloth wrapped cheddar as you can and just live on that for months! Sell to a few very high end restaurants and us if we're in town!

I will have to agree that I've witnesses many smart young college grads have a hard time finding decent jobs. But I've seen some put together some part time things to keep busy and a good job or two pops up on this site every now and again.

I would focus on expats starting businesses. Lurk at the temp offices where such people can be found. They're advertised. Attend expat events other than the sloppy beer ones. Look at foreign countries doing business here that could have use for your particular skills. I admit the poly sci degree from a US school leaves me a bit at a loss for potential areas, so maybe you have a minor or an interest that might suggest sought after skills.

And if you do have any aptitude in technology, you might consider taking some classes and building on that. There are many tech jobs and the area continues to grow. They pay well too. Good luck!

Here's my experience, I have lived here for 5 years, have a DNI and permanent residency at this point. When I first came here, I found a decent job after only 3 weeks, and they sponsored me for residency. There were NO north americans working at the company where I worked, but it was north american owned. After working there for a short time, I saw how unhappy most people were, the pay was really low, they expected you to work lots of unpaid hours and they put me on a schedule to work until 11PM at night. So I stayed a year then quit, opened my own business, which was profitable from day 1 however between the gunpoint robbery and the city inspectors looking for bribe money I decided to get out of that. So here I am looking for a full time job, I have found a part time job, however the pay is low. I am lucky in the sense that I don't have many expenses to worry about but I still would like to find a full time job. I have a college degree, years of financial experience, tech skills, sales experience, management, etc. I have had a few interviews, but nothing concrete yet. I've been looking since November. I think maybe my age is a factor, I am 42 which for Argentina is considered old for the job market. Anyway I am confident that I will find something, and my advice is just keep looking and something will come your way. Best of luck.

"How should I start a job search?"

- By doing it anywhere but Buenos Aires
- Or by having a chat with your trust fund officer

Back