How to apply for DNI without formal rental

robertobeau

Registered
Hi Fellow Expats,

Thanks in advance for you help with this.

I thought it was about time to get my DNI after some minor problems the last time I left Argentina for a Visa Run. I was hoping someone would be able to let me know: 1) If it is possible for me to get a DNI, 2) If so, what would be the process to do so (ive read conflicting things on here).

Here are more details about my situation and myself
  1. Australian - 31 years of age and have been in Argentina for 14 months (leaving every 90 days)
  2. Employed by an American startup (the owner is from Argentina but has lived in the US for a long time now)
  3. I rent from a friend who owns the apartments - there is no contract - he looks after all the bills - I just transfer him my rent via transferwise on a monthly basis.
With those factors in mind - how would it be possible for me to get a DNI if I cant prove that I am employed and also live here? Some people have been telling me it is still really straightforward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Tom

I thought it was about time to get my DNI after some minor problems the last time I left Argentina for a Visa Run.

It would be very helpful for other members who are in a situation similar to yours to know how many "visa runs" you've made in the past and the exact nature of the "minor problems" you had the last time.

I was hoping someone would be able to let me know: 1) If it is possible for me to get a DNI, 2) If so, what would be the process to do so (ive read conflicting things on here).

Here are more details about my situation and myself
  1. Australian - 31 years of age and have been in Argentina for 14 months (leaving every 90 days)
  2. Employed by an American startup (the owner is from Argentina but has lived in the US for a long time now)
  3. I rent from a friend who owns the apartments - there is no contract - he looks after all the bills - I just transfer him my rent via transferwise on a monthly basis.
With those factors in mind - how would it be possible for me to get a DNI if I cant prove that I am employed and also live here? Some people have been telling me it is still really straightforward.

A formal rental contract (for an apartment in Argentina) is not required for a DNI. The "rental contracts" regarding getting an Argentine DNI refer to income properties in other countries that produce income to satisfy the requirements for the "visa rentista."

In order to get a work visa your employer would have to be registered in Argentina and have permission form migraciones to hire foreigners.

Based on what you wrote, that apparently is not the case.

Based on the information you provided, you will not qualify for temporary residency and therefore you will not be able to get a DNI.

Meanwhile, I think you would be wise NOT to make any more "visa runs"annd, unless you can qualify under one f the existing categories for temporary residency, do not use the online RADEX system to apply for temporary residency and stay away from the offices of migraciones.

PS: It would be interesting to know if any of the "people" you mention who think the process of getting a DNI "is still really straightforward" have recently gone through the process of applying for temporary residency.

Thanks mate! Really appreciate the effort you took to respond (and to everyone on this forum. you're of great help!)

It would be very helpful for other members who are in a situation similar to yours to know how many "visa runs" you've made in the past and the exact nature of the "minor problems" you had the last time.

That was my 4th when I got warned. And I have been mixing it up as well. Spending a month in Brazil and only did the Colonia same day run one. I really think I just got an angry guy when leaving EZE to Sao Paulo. He took my passport and left me waiting for a few minutes and said I wouldnt be able to come back in. I ended up getting the bus to Iguazu Falls and entering via land. Zero Problems. I was probably over cautious, but I got to the see the Falls so worked out great.

A formal rental contract (for an apartment in Argentina) is not required for a DNI. The "rental contracts" regarding getting an Argentine DNI refer to income properties in other countries that produce income to satisfy the requirements for the "visa rentista."

In order to get a work visa your employer would have to be registered in Argentina and have permission form migraciones to hire foreigners.

Based on what you wrote, that apparently is not the case.

Based on the information you provided, you will not qualify for temporary residency and therefore you will not be able to get a DNI.

Meanwhile, I think you would be wise NOT to make any more "visa runs"annd, unless you can qualify under one f the existing categories for temporary residency, do not use the online RADEX system to apply for temporary residency and stay away from the offices of migraciones.

Thanks for confirming that with me and I trust your opinion as right as that was my gut as well. Even with the relaxed laws here, I knew it would be a stretch!

PS: It would be interesting to know if any of the "people" you mention who think the process of getting a DNI "is still really straightforward" have recently gone through the process of applying for temporary residency.

Nope... just other foreigners who have formal employment and other South Americans here.

Thanks again mate!

@steveinbsas

Do you have any idea what the fine is for overstaying Visa? Would there be any bans?

Also - do you know where I can find the categories for temporary residence on RADEX - I went on their site but couldn't find anything?

@steveinbsas

Do you have any idea what the fine is for overstaying Visa? Would there be any bans?

It depends on how long you overstay. last I read, the fine for an overstay up to two years was $4500 pesos, but that level was set when the peso was about 20 to one. It could easily triple at any time.

Bans on reentry are a possibility and (as far as I know) they are for five years. It may still be up to the individual agent whether or not to deny entry (which makes it the luck of the draw), but I would not be surprised if a "blanket policy" is enacted in the future, ending the present "arbitrary" system.

Also - do you know where I can find the categories for temporary residence on RADEX - I went on their site but couldn't find anything?

I believe migraciones took the details off the website after the enactment of the DNU/2017.

If you can't qualify based on your work and you don't have income from foreign investments, I don't know what category of visa you could apply for.

You might consider a student visa, but they do not lead to permanent residency on the third renewal (like the visa rentista or the visa pensionado) , and they may not be issued for a full year at a time.

It depends on how long you overstay. last I read, the fine for an overstay up to two years was $4500 pesos, but that level was set when the peso was about 20 to one. It could easily triple at any time.

Bans on reentry are a possibility and (as far as I know) they are for five years. It may still be up to the individual agent whether or not to deny entry (which makes it the luck of the draw), but I would not be surprised if a "blanket policy" is enacted in the future, ending the present "arbitrary" system.

Cool thanks for that. Even at a max from a fine side of things not too bad. Haha.

I’m going to have a chat with my employer tomorrow about what you have said. I will also look into a student visa.

Cool thanks for that. Even at a max from a fine side of things not too bad. Haha.

I’m going to have a chat with my employer tomorrow about what you have said. I will also look into a student visa.

Keep in mind that the student visa is only granted to individuals actually enrolled in schools approved by migraciones , is only valid for the length of term (probably less than a full year in every case), and cannot be renewed.

The worst thing about a ban on reentry is that no member has ever posted that they received a ban on reentry when they were leaving Argentina

One member reported that a friend received a ban on leaving, but it is more likely you would not know if you were going to be denied reentry until you actually tried to do so.

One member (juantime) was denied reentry even though his application for citizenship was "almost" complete.

In my opinion, your best chance to get a DNI is with a "work visa" if your employer is willing to help get you one...

Hopefully, it's already a registered business in Argentina.

Back