How to apply for DNI without formal rental

Not necessarily.

Para solicitar la ciudadanía argentina no es necesario contar con un abogado ni gestor.

I was referring to an individual who would be applying for citizenship who does not have a DNI and who does not yet have the required two years of "residency".

If an individual doesn't satisfy the residency requirement, it appears to be highly unlikely (if not impossible) to get a court to accept the solicitation...

...according to Bajo_cero2's posts.

The residency requirement:

Tener dos años de residencia ininterrumpida y documentada en el país, certificada por la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones.

I wonder what might happen if someone who has overstayed their tourist permit by two years actually goes to migraciones to get a certificate that they have two years of uninterrupted residency in Argentina.

Unless the court orders the report from migraciones, and the individual who has overstayed doesn't have to go there in person, it might be worth paying a lawyer to deal with that, as opposed to being arrested at migraciones and held for deportation.

Roberto could claim a residence start date in a few ways, possibly from the very first day he landed. Of course, admission as a tourist when he was doing his runs may be taken as affirmative confirmation that he's not a resident, but people have the right to travel. Likely the 6 months and a day rule applies?

Finally, the process should be started as soon as possible, as it takes quite a while, and he can calendar appearances times to residency date. You can file before you've met the requirements, or so he has said.

The drawbacks to this approach to citizenship are obviously that he can't safely leave the country and count on readmission, and that he could be dodging migraciones for a year or more, as he'd be in a legal grey zone - a stone cold illegal with a pending petition the basic requirements of which he has not satisfied.

This is all moot if, like you say, Roberto can't afford the 5-10 thousand clams. But if the plan is to stay a few more years, or even to settle here, then the citizenship option at even 10k is a bargain.

This web page is dated November 6, 2015. A lot has changed since then, thanks to the DNU 70/2017.

Jurisdiction over citizenship has been returned to the federal courts, but migraciones appears to be tougher than ever on those who have abused the tourist visa, and they don't appear to be granting any leeway to anyone who has applied for citizenship (if juantime's case is typical).

So he'll be dodging migraciones for a year+ and stuck in Argentina until the citizenship comes through. Not great, but there are worse fates.

This is all moot if, like you say, Roberto can't afford the 5-10 thousand clams. But if the plan is to stay a few more years, or even to settle here, then the citizenship option at even 10k is a bargain.

I think I would rather get married than pay the 10k. Debatable. haha

Marriage isn't the worst option. Looks like it could be the easiest as well. haha

I wonder what might happen if someone who has overstayed their tourist permit by two years actually goes to migraciones to get a certificate that they have two years of uninterrupted residency in Argentina.

Unless the court orders the report from migraciones, and the individual who has overstayed doesn't have to go there in person, it might be worth paying a lawyer to deal with that, as opposed to being arrested at migraciones and held for deportation.

Yea when reading you comments I was thinking the same...

Hi Fellow Expats,

Thanks in advance for you help with this.

I thought it was about time to get my DNI after some minor problems the last time I left Argentina for a Visa Run. I was hoping someone would be able to let me know: 1) If it is possible for me to get a DNI, 2) If so, what would be the process to do so (ive read conflicting things on here).

Here are more details about my situation and myself
  1. Australian - 31 years of age and have been in Argentina for 14 months (leaving every 90 days)
  2. Employed by an American startup (the owner is from Argentina but has lived in the US for a long time now)
  3. I rent from a friend who owns the apartments - there is no contract - he looks after all the bills - I just transfer him my rent via transferwise on a monthly basis.
With those factors in mind - how would it be possible for me to get a DNI if I cant prove that I am employed and also live here? Some people have been telling me it is still really straightforward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Tom

Wow some great information here for some newbies in the immigration and becoming a citizen game. Looking for more on this thread soon.

Just an FYI along the same lines, this process could be really simplified. Jake and I were peers at the Stagecoach in the fin systems innovation arena...this tool would make this process infinitely easier.

Anyone know the King of Smartness/CIO for this great country? please let me know

Thanks

jinks

Back