How To Deal With Extremely Aggressive Panhandlers?

I've had to use pepper spray on two ocassions in BA. The tricky part is making sure wind or even a slight breeze isn't blowing in your direction.

Woah that sounds very harsh.
At what point did you choose to assault an aggressive beggar with pepper spray?

I know they can be annoying but I think thats over the top! Twice!

So , are you implying that the people in the rest of the world are so docile that they allow themselves to be bullied and ignore the fact that they have rights ? Is not the inability to defend or stand up for oneself the precursor to being dominated and to become sub servant ? Why pick on Americans in this regard ?

Or are you soon to be a slave to what other people want or demand of you. The USA is the land of the free. AND the brave. Please do not forget it next time you , or your countrymen need help. With that attitude , next time we may let you try to stand on your own. And watch you fail.

BTW , the designation "American" is to be capitalized !!

I feel sorry for the decent Americans here with posts like this.

My own two cents:

As one poster mentioned, let's not confuse panhandlers with muggers, the type that use "panhandling" as a cover to get close and lift your wallet. Just because someone gets a bit fresh doesn't mean they're mugging you. Let's not be crass.

That said, being accosted can be a downright violent experience. I think that goes doubly for women, who in addition to worrying about their cash have to be on guard against physical assailants, rape, etc. Not sure if mace is the answer. The rule of thumb in this city, any city for that matter, is know yourself and where you are, streets to avoid, when and where you can go out alone and where you might need some company. Buenos Aires isn't Stockholm, so act accordingly.

As for "aggressive panhandlers", in my own experience I haven't had too many encounters. With a simple "no, sorry", or a firm "nothing" the vast majority of panhandlers will let be. Perhaps ignoring them will come off as haughty or elitist, and piss some people off. Just a thought.

So , are you implying that the people in the rest of the world are so docile that they allow themselves to be bullied and ignore the fact that they have rights ? Is not the inability to defend or stand up for oneself the precursor to being dominated and to become sub servant ? Why pick on Americans in this regard ?

Or are you soon to be a slave to what other people want or demand of you. The USA is the land of the free. AND the brave. Please do not forget it next time you , or your countrymen need help. With that attitude , next time we may let you try to stand on your own. And watch you fail.

BTW , the designation "American" is to be capitalized !!

I would love to know which side of the gun debate you come down on, or perhaps I can guess. I've been following some of it and sincerely hope that the imbeciles giving testimony are not representative of the majority!

Further, I'm afraid your "America is to be capitalized" statement really does show your ignorance. All south americans are americans and they dont normally capitalise it. You my friend are North American.

Second this post by CanuckleHead. Be polite, but be firm. best advice on the matter.

Guys I think it is important to understand the 'why' when dealing with a problem like this... it is all well and good to say 'I lived in NYC' this is how we handled it... but many sociologists have surmised that in North America one of the 'triggers' for aggressive behaviour or acting out by homeless or people with mental illness is actually IGNORING THEM! The fact is they feel completely INVISIBLE and they are often seeking some kind of reaction good or bad!!! Think of the times you have seen people simply step over a guy passed out in a subway stop for example... Like a river flowing around a stone. Hey we all do it. You can't imagine what i've seen on Canadian subways, buses or streetcars and the incredible extent people will go to completely ignore it, like the person standing right in front of them screaming simply doesn't exist. MInd blowing.

I have a friend and his policy is to straight up ignore it and I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen how this enrages panhandlers here... Yes in Argentina. Or how an aggressive stance will actually provoke an aggressive reaction. I can genuinely attest to the fact that the most aggressive reactions I have received here were because I tried to simply ignore... Let me be clear I AM NOT ADVOCATING anyone to engage them on any level... other than a 'sorry no' or a 'next time'... and don't stop moving... Just adjust your attitude so it's not a 'pi** off maggot'... Keep your arm extended and make it clear you will not let them physically near... and again... keep moving.

But take a moment and try to understand how you are perceived... If you are obviously foreign there will be an assumption you have money. Period. You can't do anything about that... but further than that, they may actually resent you for it... Which might explain a more aggressive approach... Then maybe you can understand why ignoring them might actually exascerbate the situation... As you unconcsiously re-inforce some of the negative foreign sterotypes... Rich, arrogant and taking advantage.

Now of course I am Canadian and am well versed in the over use of the word 'sorry'... lol... but the secret that Canadians learned a long time ago... Is the rewards of giving even the tiniest amount of respect can garner... there is a world of difference between a 'sorry no' and a straight up 'no'... and to the reaction both provoke.

So ask yourself the 'why's... Why am i being targeted? Do what you can to dial down the 'gringo-ness'... Maybe try to remember to keep some change (EASILY ACCESSIBLE, make sure you don't have to go into your bag) if they are relentless.... even 25 centavos will do the trick and just don't stop moving... And lastly as most on here advised... OWN YOUR SPACE... Make it CLEAR that you won't let them close... Whether it's just an arm extended or a full blown Bruce Lee stance... make it clear.

but making it clear in your attitude even when saying 'no' that you sympathize with their situation... can go a long way.

CanuckleHead -
I can understand where you are coming from however, when dealing with someone who is mentally unstable, rational thinking and a rational attitude does not apply. Especially here when you are a foreigner. Crazies and normal panhandlers are they types of people I have had to deal with on a daily basis growing up in a city. I do say sorry and I do not have change if the person is legit, however, the poster is talking about aggressive panhandlers. Those that get in your face, touch you and/or follow you. By giving them a "sorry" or saying ANYTHING is giving them an in to talk to you and continue with the conversation. My feelings on this are coming from personal situations that I have run into and learned from.

JamJam - You are sounding like a troll. Why are you so down about people from the U.S.? Like many Argentines here, many Americans are not fond of the decisions of their government. Where are you from?

Kate I appreciate your POV and let me say that for a woman it is COMPLETELY different... I do understand and appreciate that... The point is... that I do not advocate engaging anyone in any kind of 'conversation' but to always keep moving... Not wait for a reply... You have to remember something... The signals you give... When you avert your eyes... Tuck your head... Clutch your bag and quicken your pace... while all rational and understandable responses... demonstrate fear... So, ignoring is not only offensive in some cases but it is also identifying you as a potential victim or target. In essence it can be encouraging violent or aggressive behaviour... remaining calm, aware, sympathetic is in no way inviting anyone 'in'... It is demonstrating... 'Ya I know you're there and I'm not afraid'. And truthfully this is a dialogue about extreme siutations... And for women aggressive situations are almost always extreme. I do sympathize.

These likewise are drawn 100 percent from my experience here as well... The only times I have been chased down the street... Confronted with a screaming 'hijo de puta' was when I tried to bypass and ignore completely... I found I was able to control the potentially aggressive confrontations easier when I was calm, collected, unaggressive.... and polite.

Another nice little trick is using my 'ear buds' from my Iphone just not plugging them in... And pretending like you can't hear when someone approaches. Stupid but it works. I wouldn't suggest you actually listen to music passing through questionable barrios but just pretend...

I do however appreciate your point that each situation is different and for a woman... It is not even comparable... No question it is MUCH worse.

I would love to know which side of the gun debate you come down on, or perhaps I can guess. I've been following some of it and sincerely hope that the imbeciles giving testimony are not representative of the majority!

Further, I'm afraid your "America is to be capitalized" statement really does show your ignorance. All south americans are americans and they dont normally capitalise it. You my friend are North American.
<_<

Actually America IS to be capitalized in English. It's just in romance languages that demonyms aren't (I grew up in a Spanish-English bilingual household). It has nothing to do with whether it's North or South American or whatever.

Like I said, my North American instinct is not to say anything, which usually works. Alas, the same is not always the case here in Argentina, especially being a not particularly tall college-aged student. It just seems to fuel their anger, envy more. They just keep intimidating and intimidating..

Oh and Jam-Jam.. What American crossed you and turned you into a perpetually infantile troll? We're all human beings made out of the same flesh and blood, regardless of nationality. You're entitled to express you're opinion but man.. enough is enough, no?

Back