How To Get Into The Argentine Rental Market?

We rented while still tourists, no DNI, but did have a garantia (friends, not family). Before having the garantia we did find a landlord willing to rent to us if we paid well in advance. Not sure your financial situation but you could offer 6 or 12 months rent up front, although you'll likely lose $ this way with a declining peso. As for the cost of furnishing, don't forget unfurnished is seriously unfurnished here, at least our house - like holes in the ceiling with wires for light bulbs - no fixtures. It's a large cost but was definitely worth it for us, even for a stay of just 2 years.

I suppose that people will offer rents without a garantia, but then you would have to pay in dollars rather than pesos. The renter would seek to balance out the risk by making greater returns via stable currency. If you offered to pay dollars I am sure you could organise something.

Or even paying months in advance in pesos, argueing that the LL wins two times = already paid + even gets paid more (because of inflation)

We rented while still tourists, no DNI, but did have a garantia (friends, not family). Before having the garantia we did find a landlord willing to rent to us if we paid well in advance. Not sure your financial situation but you could offer 6 or 12 months rent up front, although you'll likely lose $ this way with a declining peso. As for the cost of furnishing, don't forget unfurnished is seriously unfurnished here, at least our house - like holes in the ceiling with wires for light bulbs - no fixtures. It's a large cost but was definitely worth it for us, even for a stay of just 2 years.
No kidding ! Talking about unfinished apartment, it's hard for someone from US to see an unfinished apartment. In US, unfurnished houses has washer and dryer.

It would be interesting to do a cost analysis of long term vs short term rentals. A few years back, my Argentine friends thought that the short term wasn't a bad deal at all since it was all inclusive.

With a long term rental you not only pay the rent, but expenses (which can be between $400-1000 pesos), gas, water, electricity, phone, internet, cable. So you have at least 800-1600 pesos right there (you do not pay ABL or expensas extraordinarias, which are for big projects, like painting the building). Plus you have to furnish completely. So it is good to do a cost analysis. If all you want is a place to furnish as you like, and are renting for 6 months you might be able to request to paint a wall or take out some furniture.
Right now there is a lot of demand for apartments, so people can literally pick what type of renter they want or demand two garantias, etc.

true, buying is a ever more difficult proposition for the majority. Creates a lot of demand in the rental market.

With a long term rental you not only pay the rent, but expenses (which can be between $400-1000 pesos), gas, water, electricity, phone, internet, cable. So you have at least 800-1600 pesos right there (you do not pay ABL or expensas extraordinarias, which are for big projects, like painting the building). Plus you have to furnish completely. So it is good to do a cost analysis. If all you want is a place to furnish as you like, and are renting for 6 months you might be able to request to paint a wall or take out some furniture.
Right now there is a lot of demand for apartments, so people can literally pick what type of renter they want or demand two garantias, etc.
Just to let you know, most tenants ALSO pay ABL as well as expensas and the servicios that you mentioned.

Hi,

I'm transitioning from a short term rental to a long term rental. I don't have a garantia but i was able to get 'seguro de causion' from this company http://finaersa.com.ar. They asked for proof of local income which i don't have but if you have friends here with local income, they can sign for you and have the policy in your name.

The cost of renting an apartment over 2 years is definitely worth it paying in pesos if you have income in dollars. I did the math and my 1 bedroom now costs me USD$1200. I was able to find a 2 bedroom in the same neighbored hood for $6000 + $1350 expensas.

Rent and Expenses $7500
Cost of the insurance $13000
Commission : $12000
Furnishing the place $50,000

over two years comes out less than $1200 * 24. Definitely worth it. I found a few land lords that didn't accept the 'seguro de causion' but most of them said sure. They problem is you need a job here or someone with a job here willing to sign for you.

Back