How To Get Into The Argentine Rental Market?

Just like in US now, the rental market is crazy hot, in SF Bay area, rental price went up 50% compared 4 years ago.

We bought our Oakland house in 1992 and, though we've financed lots of improvements and don't owe a lot less than the original mortgage, the monthly payments are still a fraction of renting would cost.

We bought our Oakland house in 1992 and, though we've financed lots of improvements and don't owe a lot less than the original mortgage, the monthly payments are still a fraction of renting would cost.
1992 is long time ago, there are 3 peaks between then and now, you should be doing well, even better if you are in better part of Oakland, close to Hill side.

Thanks so much, all of you, for the good advice and for the calculations! It is good to get some general ideas on what costs have to be added on top of a long term rental - I was of course aware of the furniture etc. but hadn't necessarily thought about washer, fridge, guarantee insurance etc. Then again, I also factor in the non-monetary value of having a place that is just like I want it, the comfort of knowing I can stay longer etc. That has value too, for me, at this point.

Like I mentioned earlier, it seems like at this point it would make sense for me to go for another temporary rental, but one that is not all decked out and where the owner would be OK with taking some things out.

Gracias chicos!!
Temp rental is not bad. Have your tried to shop for furniture here, it's not fun. Furniture made in China is considered high end here. All furniture in Buenos Aires Design center is made in China,

UPDATE: I got to stay another month in my current rental, but need a new place for October 1st. I have seen a few, the ones in dollars directed towards foreigners have been too expensive for what they are, I think, but now there is one that I like. It is just blocks away from where I live, it is nice and newly renovated, and while it is furnished, it is still a lot closer to the "blank canvas" I was hoping for: there is nothing on the walls, no curtains, no decorative lamps etc. and the furniture is new and not too bad. With some pillows, blankets, lamps and pictures it can be really cool I think. It is advertised as a one bedroom, but actually has a small cuarto de dependencia with its own little bathroom, so that is great for guests. It has two small patios and the kitchen is big and nice. It is through an agency, which is a little annoying, and with expensas and commission included it comes to around 9500 pesos. Quite a bit more than I pay now, but also better standard.

The only thing that has me doubting is the fact that it is on the ground floor, and internal, which means it doesn't have as much light as I like. The kitchen and bedroom has pretty good light from the patio, but no direct sunlight as far as I can tell. The living room has a small patio with not much light.

I guess I am using this post to analyze my pros and cons - and what I am seeing is that I am clearly too picky, jaja! I want quiet - but light; I want a low floor (I prefer not having to use the elevator all the time) - but light; I want my same neighborhood; I want to be able to decorate; I want an old building, I want outside space... Wow, I never claimed to be easy going but I am terrible! I think I need to decide what is most important: quiet or light...

Oh, and quick question: is it normal for agencies to require two months rent as deposit for a six month contract? Seems like a lot, I know they all ask for one, but two seemed a lot to me.

1992 is long time ago, there are 3 peaks between then and now, you should be doing well, even better if you are in better part of Oakland, close to Hill side.

We're in Temescal, in between Rockridge and Piedmont Avenue.

Temp rental is not bad. Have your tried to shop for furniture here, it's not fun. Furniture made in China is considered high end here. All furniture in Buenos Aires Design center is made in China,

There are some decent furniture options along Avenida Belgrano.

UPDATE: I got to stay another month in my current rental, but need a new place for October 1st. I have seen a few, the ones in dollars directed towards foreigners have been too expensive for what they are, I think, but now there is one that I like. It is just blocks away from where I live, it is nice and newly renovated, and while it is furnished, it is still a lot closer to the "blank canvas" I was hoping for: there is nothing on the walls, no curtains, no decorative lamps etc. and the furniture is new and not too bad. With some pillows, blankets, lamps and pictures it can be really cool I think. It is advertised as a one bedroom, but actually has a small cuarto de dependencia with its own little bathroom, so that is great for guests. It has two small patios and the kitchen is big and nice. It is through an agency, which is a little annoying, and with expensas and commission included it comes to around 9500 pesos. Quite a bit more than I pay now, but also better standard.

The only thing that has me doubting is the fact that it is on the ground floor, and internal, which means it doesn't have as much light as I like. The kitchen and bedroom has pretty good light from the patio, but no direct sunlight as far as I can tell. The living room has a small patio with not much light.

I guess I am using this post to analyze my pros and cons - and what I am seeing is that I am clearly too picky, jaja! I want quiet - but light; I want a low floor (I prefer not having to use the elevator all the time) - but light; I want my same neighborhood; I want to be able to decorate; I want an old building, I want outside space... Wow, I never claimed to be easy going but I am terrible! I think I need to decide what is most important: quiet or light...

Oh, and quick question: is it normal for agencies to require two months rent as deposit for a six month contract? Seems like a lot, I know they all ask for one, but two seemed a lot to me.

Your criteria is exactly mine (except I also needed a place that accepts dogs)! I have that now in a PH in Palermo Hollywood -lot's of space, quiet, 2 terraces, enough light, super charming/old. I pay 1100 USD (bank transfer) through an agency so I think you're getting a really good deal with pesos, especially as things progress. I pay a bit less than 1 month's rent for a 6 month reserve but then they reduce that from monthly payments (I had already paid a security deposit when I moved in which is a separate thing- a bit less than one month's rent). But anyway - I would grab this opportunity. I just did a huge search for a friend and found a lot of overpriced places without charm and furnished badly. Go for it!

Your criteria is exactly mine (except I also needed a place that accepts dogs)! I have that now in a PH in Palermo Hollywood -lot's of space, quiet, 2 terraces, enough light, super charming/old. I pay 1100 USD (bank transfer) through an agency so I think you're getting a really good deal with pesos, especially as things progress. I pay a bit less than 1 month's rent for a 6 month reserve but then they reduce that from monthly payments (I had already paid a security deposit when I moved in which is a separate thing- a bit less than one month's rent). But anyway - I would grab this opportunity. I just did a huge search for a friend and found a lot of overpriced places without charm and furnished badly. Go for it!
Meri, thanks for your your encouragement and for sharing your experience! Your place sounds great. I just talked to the agent to see the place again tomorrow with a friend to take a second look. You are right about the badly furnished no-charm places... I will have to see if I can deal with the amount of light it has. I work from home a lot so I need to feel comfortable at home during the day.

They want two months' deposit + one month advance (normal) + commission of 20% which I believe is paid every month. Maybe I can ask if they would consider one month's deposit. Edited to add: Giving them 15,000 pesos in security deposit which will lose its value a lot over the next six months seems like a lot!

Well, come October 1st, Joe is moving out of his current Apartment due to someone hasn't returned his thousand backs, thus making his continual rent paying difficult..Perhaps you should contact Joe-San and take over his place.

It is very difficult to find light in a low floor! So I think you will have to choose...

Back