How To Get Into The Argentine Rental Market?

Meri, thanks for your your encouragement and for sharing your experience! Your place sounds great. I just talked to the agent to see the place again tomorrow with a friend to take a second look. You are right about the badly furnished no-charm places... I will have to see if I can deal with the amount of light it has. I work from home a lot so I need to feel comfortable at home during the day.

They want two months' deposit + one month advance (normal) + commission of 20% which I believe is paid every month. Maybe I can ask if they would consider one month's deposit. Edited to add: Giving them 15,000 pesos in security deposit which will lose its value a lot over the next six months seems like a lot!

My PH is at the end of the hall/i.e. in the middle of the block and although there is enough sunlight, it's not streaming in at all hours of the day. I'm fine with it though and love the quiet. You can always buy some mirrors as well to reflect the light that you are getting and brighten it. And remember you're in a good bargaining position in the sense that you're a desirable renter - long term, foreign, female. Good luck!

I don't think its normal to pay 20% commission each month... but I'll let people that have been renting more recently chime in

It's been a long time since I've rented temporary (almost 7 years) and can say that two months rent back then for a deposit would have been crazy, but maybe things have changed quite a bit. On a long term rental I only had to pay one month security deposit (though I've seen people ask for more). I paid two month's commission to the realtor (I couldn't find what I wanted only working with owners), which comes to a gnat's ass over 8%.

20% commission seems about right given that it's a temporary (the temporary rentals themselves are simply more expensive and you're dealing with an agency usually), and if it's paid every month I'd think it's paid on the monthly amount, not 20% of the entire amount every month - that would be a robbery.

Hi guys, thanks for chiming in! Yes, it is 20% of the monthly rent, not the whole amount. That would indeed be robbery! :) The other temporary agencies seem to take one month, so I don't know what the deal is with this one.

My PH is at the end of the hall/i.e. in the middle of the block and although there is enough sunlight, it's not streaming in at all hours of the day. I'm fine with it though and love the quiet. You can always buy some mirrors as well to reflect the light that you are getting and brighten it. And remember you're in a good bargaining position in the sense that you're a desirable renter - long term, foreign, female. Good luck!
Oooh, love the idea of the mirrors, hadn't thought of that! And yes, I do feel that I am a desirable tenant - one person, female, very tranquila and clean (and I think I could get a reference from my current landlady), I don't even listen to music... I do cook a lot but I always clean. Then again, the agency doesn't know how great I am haha!

Hi everyone! I'm looking for something very similar to what you both have, and am desperately looking for advice, since I'm trying to cut short a year-long contract I signed in August (paid in USD) to try to find an unfurnished one bedroom with some outdoor space that I can pay for in pesos. I don't have a garantía, but don't mind paying lump sums up front (6 meses por adelantado, lo que sea) and I'm staying for more than two years, about 2.5-3 if all goes well and 4+ if I don't finish my masters in two years!

Anyway, any help at all is appreciated, I'm not picky about the area, I currently live in palermo but find that it's very overpriced and want a more quaint (and cheap!) lifestyle. I have my bici so transport is not really an issue, when my masters program starts in 2016 it will be in the microcentro near the obelisco, so neighborhoods to the south like san telmo and monserrat, congreso, etc. are ideal.

Please any help or advice!!

Saludos :)

Back