how to get your first drivers licence

I'm not sure what you mean here.
I know how to drive. I've held a Canadian drivers license for many years. Now I need to get a permit for Argetnina. I don't know that I need that kind of instruction. More to the point the experience of other expats in this area of the examination is more valuable to me.

If you're not sure what I mean you might want to check out the websites previously listed since they already explain how to obtain an Argentine driver's license. Only citizens from Italy and Spain can exchange their license (canje)for one here. Everyone else has to start from 0. You have to take the theoretical test, psychological exam and the practical test. There are many driving academies but not all are formerly recognized, so check the list I posted earlier. You don't want to waste time and money studying at one that isn't an official school. When you get your driver's license you have to put a green P sign on front and back windshields of your car for six months and you're not permitted to drive on any streets whose speed limit is more than 60 kph. After receiving your license you must renew it in two years and within that time frame the police cannot catch any level of alcohol on you if they stop you. This year I'm going for my professional Argentine driver's license. That will require even more steps than a traditional one and be a huge pain in the a**.

If you're not sure what I mean you might want to check out the websites previously listed since they already explain how to obtain an Argentine driver's license. Only citizens from Italy and Spain can exchange their license (canje)for one here. Everyone else has to start from 0. You have to take the theoretical test, psychological exam and the practical test. There are many driving academies but no all are formerly recognized so check the list I posted earlier. You don't want to waste time and money studying at one that isn't an official school. When you get your driver's license you have to out a green P sign on both windshields of your car for six months and you're not permitted to drive on any streets whose speed limit is more than 60 kph.after you must renew your license within two years and within that time frame the police cannot catch any level of alcohol on you if they stop you. This year I'm going for my professional Argentine driver's license. That will require even more steps than a traditional one.
ok, thanks. I am not expecting to exchange my Canadian drivers license (as it expired many years ago). I know that I must start from 0, but as I understood from other people: going to a drivers education school is not obligatory. I can study the theoretical material and go to Roca to attend their 2 day charla, then take the written test, psych test, etc.
Which brings me back to the point of my post... I really just wanted to know a bit about the written exam.

You don't have to go to driving school. The written exam is easy but study it because it is in castellano. The theoretical test only takes ten minutes. If you get there when it opens, regardless of the time of your appointment, you might be able to get through the entire process and get your license in the same day, but it takes an entire day.

I did mine in 1981 and had no problems although I had to give a "tip" to the man who tested me as all did at that time!
From my understanding the ACA is the best way to go. Check with them before you go any further
I just 3 weeks ago renewed my license at the Comuna 14 I had to attend the "charla educativa vial" After 10 mins of no one showing up to give the talk, a man from the Comuna said there was a problem with that person on said day but we all got our attendence certificates! A JOKE but that's how it is!

I'm reviving this existing thread with some questions I have in regards to the written exam. I would not deign to ask for answers to the questions, but rather to gauge the complexity of the language used in the exam (ie: only recently did I find out what a lomo-de-burro is (speed humps); a colloquialism that I threw me the first time I heard it).

To those who've taken the test I'd like to know the following:

1.. How would you rate the test in terms of understandability for the average English speaking expat with a good grasp of Castellano?
2.. Did you find any trick questions, or ambiguous descriptions that made the question hard to answer?
3.. Is the exam weighted more in one area that another.
4.. Anything I should really memorize, or are the questions fairly "common-sense" ?
5.. Does anyone know of any good study aids/ and or practice exams (bellow I've listed what I found, but I haven't any idea if the practice exams are accurately indicative of the actual exam ) Some of these are dry and really wordy.;

resources:
Manual: http://movilidad.bue..._Conductor_.pdf

General: https://www.licenciasba.net
Practice Exam (or maybe it counts?): https://www.licenciasba.net/simulador/
Practice Exam: http://www.testdeconducir.com.ar/

I found the "sample" exam with the answers to the questions highlighted in a .gov website so I don't think it would be cheating to use it as a study guide.

It looks like the first practice exam in the above links contains 30 questions out of a possible 200. The sample exam that I found with the questions highlighted had well over 30 questions. I made my own English translation of all of them.

If you send me a PM with an email address I can send them to you.

I studied intensely for several days before going to "renew" my US license (obtaining my first Argentine license), but I was not required to take the test as my US license was still valid. Therefore, don't know how the actual exam compares to the practice ones.

PS: I got my license in Provincia Bs. As. I believe the written test is required in Ciudad Buenos Aires, even if you have a valid foreign or international driver's license.

Does Argie DMV require a high education completion diploma to show that you are educated enough to merit an Argentine Driver License? A friend gringo in Chile saz his college degree were not accepted but instructed to go and finish a Chilean "octavo basico"
education to show that you are competent enough to read road signs!

Dont think i have ever spotted anyone with a green "P" on their car in capital.
I've seen it... rarely, but it will not be in any high profile places as part of the restrictions of that "badge" is keeping out microcentro, not allowed on the autopista, or roads of high "congestion".
I think sometimes that it is probably purposely not displayed.

Back