How to learn Spanish?

La mejor (y quizás la más fácil) manera que conozco de aprender español (sin intentarlo realmente) es mudarme a un lugar donde todas las personas que viven allí hablen español y no haya nadie que hable tu idioma nativo. Luego vivir allí hasta que domines (o al menos logres un dominio firme) el idioma (en mi caso, diez años sin estudiar realmente y aún aprendiendo por ósmosis).

This may be the hardest thing to do, but try to make friends with Argentines, be patient, and try to avoid using English. Even though my level of Spanish was good when I arrived I would sit at a table full Argentines and have a hard time keeping up. It took about 3 years to really be able to have a conversation in a group of people, in loud bar, etc. and 5+ to understand all of the conversations happening simultaneously.

Podcasts are a good alternative to the (VERY bad) television shows. Listening to Argentine music also helps with the accent. Try to learn to use "che" and "vos" as soon as possible. :) Search for La Llama que Llama on YouTube. That's how I really learned to speak Argentino.

There are many styles of learning, but the faster and productive is an individual Spanish class face to face. It gives you selfconfidence. Then, practice conversation with your friends, also. My page in Facebook is: "Lilia Meli Spanish Teacher for Foreigners".

I stress the importance of Phonetics practice. I know many Foreigners that understand well spoken Spanish BUT fail in communicating, they are not understood..!

The fastest way to excel in Spanish is to have a Spanish speaking roommate ....!

This may be the hardest thing to do, but try to make friends with Argentines, be patient, and try to avoid using English. Even though my level of Spanish was good when I arrived I would sit at a table full Argentines and have a hard time keeping up. It took about 3 years to really be able to have a conversation in a group of people, in loud bar, etc. and 5+ to understand all of the conversations happening simultaneously.

Podcasts are a good alternative to the (VERY bad) television shows. Listening to Argentine music also helps with the accent. Try to learn to use "che" and "vos" as soon as possible. :) Search for La Llama que Llama on YouTube. That's how I really learned to speak Argentino.

La LLama que LLama ... very good.. The use of Che and Vos must be handled carefully ...

I stress the importance of Phonetics practice. I know many Foreigners that understand well spoken Spanish BUT fail in communicating, they are not understood..!
Especially if they pronounce a word with the accent on the wrong syllable.

One of the best examples of this in my recent experience is the word "hígado" (liver in English).

I asked at the carnicería if it was available, but I accented the second syllable instead of the first.

It took about a minute and some sign language (me pointing to my abdomen where my liver is located) before the carnicera understood what I wanted.

She has a good sense of humor, and jokes with me a lot, so I'm a little surprised she didn't ask if I wanted a transplant.

Especially if they pronounce a word with the accent on the wrong syllable.

One of the best examples of this in my recent experience is the word "hígado" (liver in English).

I asked at the carnicería if it was available, but I accented the second syllable instead of the first.

It took about a minute and some sign language (me pointing to my abdomen where my liver is located) before the carnicera understood what I wanted.

She has a good sense of humor, and jokes with me a lot, so I'm a little surprised she didn't ask if I wanted a transplant.

Specially the stress on certain letters. A friend mentioned an excellent Cafe near San Telmo called- Punto Cafe,. Now it's important to clearly pronounce and stress the letter' N.... otherwise may be misunderstood..!

If you ask for riñonada, (center of Quadril) one of the finest cuts of meat in Argentina and don't stress the Ñ the butcher may give you kidney Riñones

Back