How To Not Pass For A Tourist?

Obvious precautions - of You see? at one point i started to leave my purse at home, and went out with a string bag instead - less obvious ;) That's my reference...

If you want to really look like a portena, carry all important documents and paperwork in a plastic shopping bag. You seem women all over the city using plastic Nike bags or beauty store plastic shopping bags instead of a briefcase.

If you want to really look like a portena, carry all important documents and paperwork in a plastic shopping bag. You seem women all over the city using plastic Nike bags or beauty store plastic shopping bags instead of a briefcase.

And people say it's not like Russia! HA!

I wear leather sandals:
1. Very comfortable.
2. Keep your feet nice and aired.
3. Can be ripped off in a hurry.
I'm marked down as a tourist at first glance.
Do I care?

awesome. really ;) but why no to vibrams?

If you use them just to run, I'd say whatever, bring them. One of my Argentine friends uses them cause he likes bare foot running. But to walk in general around the city, I'd say no (but who am I to judge, I went for an hour walk around Belgrano R yesterday in my nike shorts and flip flops, honestly, just wear what you want! I always have and I've never had issues)

We often have this conversation at the kitchen table as I'm the only foreigner in the house.
I'm told by both Adri and her son that no matter what I wear and how I look, I will always look like someone who is not Argentine.
So I then ask them 'So what do I look like then?'
And in unison 'Well, a Brit really....'

We often have this conversation at the kitchen table as I'm the only foreigner in the house.
I'm told by both Adri and her son that no matter what I wear and how I look, I will always look like someone who is not Argentine.
So I then ask them 'So what do I look like then?'
And in unison 'Well, a Brit really....'

really really cute ;)

Same thing used to happen in Spain, usually in supermarkets.
When I asked why, the reply was always 'because your face is red'.

Talked to a porteno about Vibram 5 fingers. a definite no. The practical thing is - given that it rains and that streets are dirty - Vibrams are easily washable!!!

I brought my Vibrams with me and have not worn them once. But I never wore them in public at home either, just for walking on my treadmill. Thought I would use them if we went hiking here, but I didn't even wear them when we went to Iguazu. Don't bother packing them.

Back