How to obtain DNI by yourself

Vbkk

Registered
Hello to all,

I am a newbie to the BA-expat and have been here for 5 months on a retirement visa (Pensionado) and wonder if anyone could shreds some lights on how to renew one year visa by yourself and what is a DNI? I have been contact with a lawyer and she told me that I would need a letter of income affidavit and get a local police record plus the POA. The income letter I could get it from the US embassy which I have been informed but the last two things i have no idea where to begin. Also, she has told me the fee for renewing one year visa is $ 400.00 dollars and she said that I should get the DNI do it by myself or she can help me to get it with in a month for another $ 300.00 or I Do these sound reasonable?
Any help would be appreciated,

All the information you need is already here in the forum. You can apply for your DNI (document nacional identidad/national identity document) on your own and should do so now. It will cost you $40 pesos (plus bus/train/taxi fare).

You can only renew your visa within sixty days of the anniversary of issue. The fee is $600 pesos and you can do that on your own as well. If you don't want to go to migraciones alone I know a woman who will help you and make one or two trips to migraciones with you for a flat fee of $200 (she went with me twice in 2006). I applied for my DNI alone shortly after receiving the visa (when it was pure hell to do so, and I also did all my renewals by myself, including the change to permanent residency

I believe the POA is power of attorney for the lawyer to renew your visa for you.

You'll also need to have the letter from the embassy "certified in Argentina" (the equivalent of the Apostille) at an office on Arenales. I'm sure someone can provide the exact address

The police report is easy to get and the procedure is detailed in the forum as well. You can get this on your own even if you don't speak Spanish. The location on Piedras issues these reports exclusively and they are used to foreigners who don't speak the lingo.

Search keywords such as visa renewal, penales antecedentes (police report), and DNI in the search box and continue to ask questions in this thread if you have any. The first post I ever made in 2006 was about the DNI.:)

Thanks so much Steve. I will do a search in the forum.

Steve,
So first thing I would need to do is:
1. Apply for the DNI
2. Income affidavit and the Embassy then take it to Arenales (Ministry of Foreign Affair) to have it certify.
3. Police clearance record at 115 Piedras
4. With in the 60 days of my Pensionado visa expired I then take all of these documents go to the immigration and apply for renewal visa. Does this sound right?

Can I have the name of the woman who is willing to go to the immigration so I can contact her when I am ready?

Again, thank very much for your help.

The income affidavit and the police report should be obtained within the 60 days prior to the anniversary of your visa.

If you send me your contact information to me in a PM I will be happy to give it to Pat (her real name). She speaks very good (almost perfect) English and will contact you whenever you are ready to proceed.

I just found 65 threads by searching "DNI" in the search box.

The oldest thread was my first post here...when I knew nothing about it.:D

As soon as I get all my Docs together I will PM so you can give me the woman contact number. My Visa will not expired until Feb 2012.

I have searched/read the DNI and it seems the process took about 8 months 2 years to get a DNI. It is because depends on what type of visa one came in the country?

Back