How tough is it to go and live in the USA

Denver said:
That the reign of the US should be over is simply ridiculous. Which nation is supposed to take its place?

No-one is saying the hegemony of the USA is coming to a rapid end (though some commentators like Paul Craig Roberts are saying just this). And if it came to an end, it's not necessary that some other country take its place. What people like me are saying is that life for the average American is getting more problematic. In areas like steady, well-paying work, pension, and health care, this is certainly true.

If you are dead-set on living in the US, you can simply come as a tourist and overstay. They will never, ever come looking for you. I don't even believe an arrest would cause you to be deported. But, if you insist on working on a chicken processing plant alongside 230 illegal Mexicans, then you could get rounded up at the next raid.

Anywhere you work you now have to show an SSN and work authorisation. Unless you work at a chicken plant or out in the fields. Even there, the immigration authorities have now begun to crack down with a vengeance because Amercans are now willing to do these onerous and low-paid jobs. I know an Irishman or two who have worked illegally in the USA -- but it's been low-paying security work. And it's a shadowy existence.

A bit OT but many illegal immigrants have purchased valid ssn numbers which means they are paying into medicare/social security etc and will never see those funds.

To the OP - it is quite difficult to obtain employment in the US unless you have a specialized skill set. And even then, many large companies who took TARP money back in '08/'09 had to let their foreign specialized workers go. With a 10% unemployment rate, there is not a huge incentive for companies to sponsor H1 visas right now. It's costly and time-intensive for companies.

I wish I had better news to give you.

to the guy who said I was but a "humble teacher", I already made it perfectly clear I make far more away from the classroom than I ever would in it - and that money wasn't an issue either.

Thanks to everyone for helpful answers. I'm also not "fixated on the USA" - I've lived all around the world and wouldn't mind giving N.America a try too. I'm not going there because I think the streets are flowing with ambrosia. Why are people so quick to compartmentalise? (yes, that's an "s" at the end of the word :D )

on that subject, how much easier is Canada and why?? I heard their own immigration policies are pretty strict now.

BTW, I did consider the illegal route. Shame that it's easier to swim a river or travel in the back of a sheep truck than try and do things legitimately. :p

I'd never consider "marrying for a passport"...I said that very tongue in cheek. Oh, and I'm not considering all of this for citizenship...only for permanent/semi-permanent residence.

once again, thanks for all the comments so far.

if I was to go and overstay my 3-month tourist visa...how would I ever get a job or an apartment? I presumed everything was so centralised and controlled that it would be nigh on impossible...

A bit OT but many illegal immigrants have purchased valid ssn numbers which means they are paying into medicare/social security etc and will never see those funds.
This is an urban legend. There is no solid proof comes from ANYONE who ever "purchased" SS Card in the US. I've heard that a couple of times already.

To the "English teacher" which apparently has a green color recognition;) problem.
Dig up your (ur spouse) past and see if you have any Jewish ancestry or nationality roots. If you have it, even minimally, $3-4K' and 1 hairy-nose lawyer will put you and your spouse in "asylum" and then several more of these K's will get you a Green Card (yes, it's a holographically enhanced "Pinkish Raspberry Lemonade with Aqua-Turquoise accents” piece of plastic).

Tip. If you are taking this route make sure you're collecting some proofs in writing (in advance) that in England people are hostile and abusive to you bc of your nationality.

Btw, some states were hiring teachers out of South Korea last year. Take this into account as well.

Well - thanks for the update Piktor ;) I used to be in the employment industry and yes, it absolutely happens - (there were several employment agencies that wound up paying huge fines b/c of it). I actually was pointing out that illegal immigrants normally pay into a system they will never be able to benefit from.

Ellslou - without an SSN number, credit history, etc - it will be almost impossible to find a job, rent an apt, etc, etc.

citygirl said:
Well - thanks for the update Piktor ;) I used to be in the employment industry and yes, it absolutely happens - (there were several employment agencies that wound up paying huge fines b/c of it). I actually was pointing out that illegal immigrants normally pay into a system they will never be able to benefit from.

Ellslou - without an SSN number, credit history, etc - it will be almost impossible to find a job, rent an apt, etc, etc.

thanks, that's what I suspected.

pikto99 said:
This is an urban legend. There is no solid proof comes from ANYONE who ever "purchased" SS Card in the US. I've heard that a couple of times already.

Every time I went to Langers Delicatessen, across the street from MacArthur Park, urban legends tried to sell me one- and since the pastrami there is some of the best in the world, I have been there a few times.
The reality is that in any city in the USA, you can get a fake SS card in ten minutes, especially if you can speak a bit of spanish, and dont look like a cop.

According to that well known propagator of Urban Legends, the New York Times, the United States Government, another specious body without proof, estimates that illegal aliens using phony social security numbers will pay off 15% of the longterm debt of the SS Administration. To the tune of $50 BILLION A YEAR.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/opinion/02wed3.html

Thats pretty good for something that doesnt exist...

It also says here that 8 to 12 million illegal immigrants in the USA file income tax statements using phony social security numbers-
http://reason.org/news/show/122411.html

Back