How Was Your Very First Day In Argentina?

November 27 2002... I came here for 15 days for the first time, and was already thinking about the possibility moving here.
I had hired two people to guide/drive me in the city.
They came to the airport to pick me up, one of them had borrowed a friend's car.

It was a very sunny day, I was amazed. We entered the city using a large avenue (don't remember which). A traffic light turned red for us, my driver pushed his brakes in time... But not the guy right behind in his old vehicle... Boum! The back of the car was seriously damaged, but no injuries.

We had rented a very nice PH on Cabrera x Bonpland and spent a great time (couldn't understand much Spanish though).

A few months later, another Air France flight was taking off on October 26 2003 for Buenos Aires, I was inside with my dog...

It was all an accident.

Went to my travel agent to book my frequent 3 weeks trip to Cuba.
Agent: Why don't u try something else? Like Argentina (he was Argentine, still have his card as a souvenir).
Me: What? That is 15 hours away .. !

The ticket got changed to Bs.As. instead of Havana.

My first morning left my knapsack in the hotel, walked up and down Aveneda de Mayo (God knows how many times) searching for my eggs & bacon. From there, It only got worse by the day. By the end of my 3 weeks and in spite of all the quirks, nothing (I mean N O T ... A .... T H I N G !) was going to stop me from going to AirCanada office on Cordoba and begging them to change and extend my return ticket to 3 MONTHS.

Gradually uprooted myself, even with all the risks of being a perma-tourist here.

Here we are 9 years later, sparing you the details.

April 2009:

My wife (fiance at the time) and I flew from Dubai to Argentina (via Heathrow :mad: ) on a more than 24 hour long trip.

Got off the plane with a numb butt but was very excited to meet her family. The excitement quickly turned to confusion when I received a kiss from her uncle (got over the whole kissing men thing after a couple of weeks...she has a big family).

On the ride over to her uncle's apartment to have lunch, he asked me what club I was a fan of. I asked for clarification and he said what "futbol club en Argentina" I was a fan of. I told him, being that I wasn't a soccer fan, I had only heard of "Boca Juniors". He all of a sudden slowed down the car and in a very serious tone of voice told me that "la tia es making very tasty lunch right now but if you say that name again, not only are you not going to get any lunch but will have to arrange to stay on the streets tonight...If you want to have lunch then from now on you support River."

I was all of a sudden very worried because I was freakin hungry. My fiance said, "he's only kidding..." and the uncle let out an evil laugh but I am still not sure to this day whether that was a joke. Needless to say that I have been a hardcore River fan since then even though I still don't watch futbol and can't stand it other than during the world cup.

The aunt welcomed me home as if I was her long lost son and that is one of the most awesome things that I have experienced here. Family and how much love they have, regardless of differences, for each other (others might have had a different experience).

January 2012:

Landed after a 21 hour trip (via Rio). Embassy had screwed up the paperwork. Ran around Ezeiza for 4 hours, dragging luggage with us, to sort stuff out. I can't remember the rest. Oh what difference 3 years makes.

I love these stories, they bring the day alive.
........so after had hugged and kissed each other to death, we stopped for a coffee and a smoke just to the right of arrivals and just gazed at each other.
Frankly, we were both on cloud 9 and the car journey to Olivos passed in a flash of memories...Quilmes beer signs, the smells of chorizos, the clapped out cars and the 50cent peajes.
Lunch of steak, egg and chips at Barrancas de Alvear by the river, endless talking and finally dinner at ther parents with copious bottles of vino and lights out at god knows when with a huge grin on my face.
That was May 2005 and we're going to drink to that tonight.

I remember grinning ear to ear too when the plane touched down, heart racing that I had the courage to go on such an adventure. It was July 2008. I had quit my programming job in Houston and planned to stay here a few months just to see what it was like, not exactly as a tourist. I had never really visited any other country outside the US, let alone BA. My only Spanish was in high school way too long ago to be of much use.

The taxi ride set things off to a shaky start. The driver didn't turn on the clock and overcharged me upon arrival at the room I'd be renting. My bags were in front and I tried to reach up and push my bags out onto the street and he grabbed my hand not allowing me to open the door. I was to stay with a friend's mother who I had never met but had lived here about 8 years. I just wanted to go in and ask if the price of the taxi was correct or not but I couldn't just jump out and do so for fear of my bags being stolen. I wanted to deck the guy when he grabbed my hand, but had no idea if the price was true or what the consequences would be of starting a fight, so I just swallowed my pride and paid him ($180 pesos as I recall). He turned around to *count* the money and switched out a 100 peso for a 10. I was certain what I had handed him and started yelling at him (incoherently - the first of many encounters where I found the thing you might miss the most when you don't know a language is you can't argue effectively), and he suddenly turned into my nicest best friend and took my bags out like a gentleman.

When I went to the door of this beautiful little house in Monserrat, an old man with serious face like Lurch answered the door. He showed me my room and then showed me the door to the back part of the house and told me to never come back there. It had a kind of Vincent Price quality to it - "you must never open this door". He said my friend's mom wasn't feeling well, and she'd talk to me when she was feeling up to it. If I was bored I could walk over to the plaza in front of Congreso, which was about 8 blocks away. Walking about the neighborhood was amazing. I was really lucky to end up here in such a centrally located zone, close to puerto madero, san telmo, easy access to subway lines, etc. The weather was colder than I expected though. The old woman didn't come out to greet me that day, and I spent a cold night with no heat in the house, wondering what I'd gotten myself into.

The old couple were both in their early 80s. She was drinking one or two big bottles of wine every day, and would once a week or so get totally plastered. She was sweet when sober, but would turn into the archetypal condescending arrogant American tourist when drinking. After 8 years here she still knew hardly a word of Spanish. I quickly discovered that accepting any invitation to go out and see the sights with them would not turn out well. She would also tend to get paranoid about her money and her stuff, but dangerously careless as well, the worst case example being the time left that house, walking around drunk with the title to her property and a bunch of money and got lost. Luckily somebody decent found her and gave her a ride back to the house. Her boyfriend was an old school tangero, well educated but with kind of a sketchy background. He didn't really have any money of his own or place to go and she held it over him, treating him like a butler, and kicking him out and changing the locks whenever he got unruly. He had some interesting stories or tall tales to tell of the days of old here in BA. I'll never be able to guess where fact ended and fiction began. I got caught up in this situation for some time because she was renting me the room at such a great price, but also because she had this kind of vulnerability about her, and I felt a bit like somebody should be keeping an eye on her because she was reaching the point where it was not really feasible for her to stay here on her own and safely take care of herself.

So in this context I was trying to get by with my very poor Spanish, and finding that total immersion was not really panning out for me to make any substantial progress with that. It took me some time to get some basics worked out like internet so I could do a bit of contract work, how to go and buy the necessities, how to navigate the city, etc.. I do remember moments even in that 1st day when I wondered what I had gotten myself into. There were a few idiotic presuppositions that had to get shattered to pieces right away - that anything South of the US was tropical, that all latino cultures have spicy foods and I dunno... Tejano culture went all the way from Houston to the tip of South America. Things were pretty shaky until I found a friend a few blocks away who could be my mentor, answer questions, help me with some of the things I really couldn't manage yet like getting internet and where to find certain things. I think my enjoyment and sense of feeling at home in BA happened gradually. I felt a warmth, beauty, and energy about the city right away, but it was not until I developed a circle of friends and finally met my wife that I really began to feel at home.

Congrats Gringoboy on the anniversary of your arrival!!

edit - celebration rather - guess I misread, anyway - cheers!

I'm going to cheat & describe my first day after arriving 3 weeks ago. I had visited before 1.5 years ago for a holiday.

Anyway on 19th Oct 13 I arrived after being upgraded to BA Business Class free of charge - woohoo!!! My head was still a bit fuzzy from all the Champagne & quality Chablis I had consumed in flight! As the plane touched down I was excited but apprehensive. I have never lived anywhere but London before & now I have arrived in a rather crazy country where I don't even speak the language!

It was nice to be met at Eze by my Argy friend who had been waiting for 3 hours (he dropped off his family for an inflation busting holiday to Dom Republic a couple of hours earlier). When I arrived at my short term service apartment I asked my friend what is that insect in the kitchen? As I had never seen one before. Yes folks... a cockroach welcome party! My colleagues have been teasing me about 'Cucarachas' ever since. I have had to move several times in that building due to these pests. Needless to say I will be writing a comprehensive Trip Advisor review afterwards. :)

Re-aqainting myself with Avenida Santa Fe & all of it's 'boutique' shops in the warm sunshine & having an Argy pizza for dinner & chatting with my friend ended a nice adventurous first day. There's a certain feeling of liberation that was unexpected & still is...

London baby. There must be some cockroaches in London but you would have to be living in a really manky place. Even the bedsit I lived in years ago didn't have cockroaches but it did have massive slugs & beetles ha! I have since learnt that there are many cockroaches in this city & apartment blocks get fumigated monthly for this reason but that 4th floor where I was had a whole family of cockroaches!

I can never, ever remember seeing a cockroach in the UK even when I lived in London and other big British cities.
It was a shock to me too when I first saw them here.
In fact it still is.

Back