How Will Expats Be Affected When Ebola Arrives In Argentina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveinbsas

Registered
Last week the CDC announced that the likelihood of importing an Ebola case to the USA was extremely small.
This week, the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola on American soil went to the emergency room last week, but was released from the hospital even though he told staff he had traveled from Liberia.

http://edition.cnn.c...a-us/index.html

Prior to flying from Liberia he personally carried two individuals to the hospital who died of ebola within hours. The disease is most contagious in the later stages when direct contact is made with bodily fluids of an infected individual. The infected man in Dallas may have been in contact with up to 80 others (including school children) after he began to exhibit symptoms. (Earlier today the estimate was only 20.)

This morning, a Missouri doctor showed up at Altanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport dressed in protective gear to protest what he called mismanagement of the crisis by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

He was reported as saying, "With 10,000 people flying out if west Africa daily its only a matter of time until all corners of the world are exposed," Mobley said. "Once it devours third world countries, the US will be importing these cases daily. Eventually the clusters will overwhelm even the most advanced countries' ability to isolate and quarantine all those exposed. The CDC needs to be honest with us."

http://www.news-lead...ndled/16579721/

So, remembering the "flu scare" of 2010(?), I wonder how Argentines will react and how expats may be affected, even if the "general population" in the USA is still not at risk.

If, in the next few weeks there are more cases of ebola reported in Dallas, will there be premature calls for restrictions on direct flights to BA from Dallas? And if the number of cases in the USA rises dramatically and any number of deaths follow as a result, will there be restrictions or possibly even bans on individuals entering Argentina from the USA? The fact that airline stocks are already in decline is worth noting.

And, after a few cases are reported in BA, who will want to ride in the subway or on a bus when someone is coughing and sneezing..or eat in a restaurant, or shop in a supermarket? Except for passing the mate cup around and drinking from the same straw, many of the Argentines I know are at least somewhat germaphobic.

PS: I was going to post this topic yesterday, but after reading claims made a few days ago by the CDC that the man in Dallas posed no threat, I decided not to. I changed my mind after reading today's news. Ebola is not a yet global threat, Hopefully it won't be, but I would not bet on it. It may never become a pandemic, but it should be remembered that is easier to transmit and far more difficult to treat that AIDS, and a helluva lot scarier than the flu.

Not surprised at all it's arrived in the USA. Dallas has a big Liberian community and there are flights back and forth. Great job...

I'd be surprised if it arrives in Argentina. It's somewhat out of the way, not in the path of migration routes, and precautions can be taken.

Not surprised at all it's arrived in the USA. Dallas has a big Liberian community and there are flights back and forth. Great job...

I'd be surprised if it arrives in Argentina. It's somewhat out of the way, not in the path of migration routes, and precautions can be taken.

It doesn't help that the Pottertarian paradise of Texas has one of the worst public health records in the country: http://tinyurl.com/k9pl96x

Apparently the Dallas ebola patient was not exhibiting any symptoms during his 28 hour journey to Dallas, but it is clear that he was infected prior to his departure from Liberia.

Details of the man's 28-hour trip from disease-ravaged western Africa emerged Wednesday. He flew on two airlines, took three flights, and had lengthy airport layovers - including one at Washington Dulles International Airport - before reaching Texas on Sept. 20.

http://www.wjla.com/...l#ixzz3F0kW0yUg

He did not go to the hospital in Dallas until September 25th (after "falling ill" on the 24th) and it is reported that he had contact with others prior to going to the hospital. He was in contact with hospital personnel prior to being sent home and he was already exhibiting symptoms at that time.

It is not terribly difficult to visualize how an infected individual who has no symptoms (and is from and was infected in the USA) could board a plane in the USA and arrive in Argentina without raising a red flag regarding ebola.

Interesting. When I flew back from BsAs to Houston a few weeks ago, baggage claim was next to that of a direct flight from Lagos, Nigeria. It seemed bizarre to me that there would be a direct flight to IAH.

It's also weird to me that British Airways has a direct flight from Austin to LHR. I guess there are people who actually *want* to come to Texas. :)

It is not infectious unless the person has symptoms, starting with fever and many more. The man was not infectious while he flew, therefore he only exposed people when symptoms developed a few days after his US arrival. Indeed he was not handled properlyby the first physician who saw him initially and sent him home, and that resulted in the large number of potentially exposed people.
I'm not a fan of fear mongering. But I think the airlines will need to do better at screening and train their cabin staff in a protocol should someone develop symptoms while flying.
Meanwhile with the help of Bill and Melinda Gates, Nigeria has announced that they have completely contained Ebola there. That's huge, and great news. If Nigeria has been so successful I'm sure other countries can also. Great philanthropy done by the Gates Foundation in stopping this from becoming more widespread.

If it is easier to contract than AIDS, just HOW is it transmitted?
I remember the H1N1 crisis in Argentina. Schools were closed for awhile, some theatrical productions cancelled. People were scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back