How Will Expats Be Affected When Ebola Arrives In Argentina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Airborne Ebola is being mentioned as a scenario if the virus mutated to become airborne. It is something that concerns scientists as a potential FUTURE hazard...this particular virus does not mutate into that form easily. But the concern is the larger the amount of infected are, the more opportunities it would have to mutate, possibly arriving in amore contagious form in the future.

YES, droplets of sneeze are bodily fluid. But they have land on you and then be transferred to your eyes, nose or mouth or inhaled before they evaporate.

If someone (particularly an ISIS "viral suicide soldier") deliberately sneezes in your face what do you think the chances of inhaling the spray (aka vapor) are?

I remember from high school biology that the vapor from a sneeze travels up to three feet through the air from the sneezer.

As I was typing the previous sentence,I heard a news report that the virus can be transmitted up to three feet form an infected individual.

I'll google that and add the appropriate link when I find it.

There's a news report that a doctor boarded a flight in a protective "space suit" to protest the CDCs lying. The only question he was asked by officials was "Do you have tobacco or alcohol"?

Airborne Ebola is being mentioned as a scenario if the virus mutated to become airborne. It is something that concerns scientists as a potential FUTURE hazard...this particular virus does not mutate into that form easily. But the concern is the larger the amount of infected are, the more opportunities it would have to mutate, possibly arriving in amore contagious form in the future.

The voice of reason among the screams of paranoia :D

I am not very concerned about ebloa mutating into an airborne virus that could spread without direct contact with bodily fluids (which are, however, contained in the vapor of a sneze). Even if ISIS IS able to infiltrate the USA with viral suicide soldiers, the number they infect will not have to be very high to cause a freaking panic.

Here's an article from Scientific American on the subject of ebloa become an "airborne" disease:

http://www.scientifi...ll-go-airborne/

Can imagine the conversation in the Emergency Room when the poor bugger first visited the Dallas Hospital looking for help:

There is this African tourist guy out there sicker than hell with no health insurance.
Give him a couple of APC's and send him home.

Interesting. When I flew back from BsAs to Houston a few weeks ago, baggage claim was next to that of a direct flight from Lagos, Nigeria. It seemed bizarre to me that there would be a direct flight to IAH.

It's also weird to me that British Airways has a direct flight from Austin to LHR. I guess there are people who actually *want* to come to Texas. :)

Oil.

I wouldn't be surprised if a case happened in Scotland. Huge number of oil workers going to and from western Africa, Scotland and USA

airborne ebola already exists (Ebola Reston) but it doesn't affect humans. The flu kills a minimum of 250,000 people a year, but some years it kills half a million, and yes it's airborne. Cholera (which is not) kills some tens of thousands. Ebola HF has not killed more than 5 or maybe 6 thousand people in all its 40 years of recorded history. If you get infected with ebola, you have a 50% chance to survive even in the care of a rural African hospital. I don't think I stand those chances even without being infected with Ebola.
If Ebola gets to Argentina the biggest challenge for expats will be to find enough "authentic" Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup, aside from the equivalent of DayQuil, and Sprite...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back