How Will Expats Be Affected When Ebola Arrives In Argentina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
airborne ebola already exists (Ebola Reston) but it doesn't affect humans. The flu kills a minimum of 250,000 people a year, but some years it kills half a million, and yes it's airborne. Cholera (which is not) kills some tens of thousands. Ebola HF has not killed more than 5 or maybe 6 thousand people in all its 40 years of recorded history. If you get infected with ebola, you have a 50% chance to survive even in the care of a rural African hospital. I don't think I stand those chances even without being infected with Ebola.
If Ebola gets to Argentina the biggest challenge for expats will be to find enough "authentic" Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup, aside from the equivalent of DayQuil, and Sprite...

Well, those are reassuring statistics, almost as comforting at President Obama's reassurances two weeks ago when he said .

"First and foremost, I want the American people to know that our experts, here at the CDC and across our government, agree that the chances of an Ebola outbreak here in the United States are extremely low. We’ve been taking the necessary precautions, including working with countries in West Africa to increase screening at airports so that someone with the virus doesn’t get on a plane for the United States. In the unlikely event that someone with Ebola does reach our shores, we’ve taken new measures so that we’re prepared here at home. We’re working to help flight crews identify people who are sick, and more labs across our country now have the capacity to quickly test for the virus. We’re working with hospitals to make sure that they are prepared, and to ensure that our doctors, our nurses and our medical staff are trained, are ready, and are able to deal with a possible case safely."

While it is highly unlikely that the current and so far one diagnosed case of ebola in Texas will turn into any kind of outbreak, 80 others with whom he was in contact in Texas are presently being monitored for symptoms of the disease.

http://www.usatoday....tient/16525649/

Even if none of the individuals who are currently being monitored for symptoms become ill with ebola, this case has shown that it's possible for someone who is infected but shows no symptoms to travel to and enter the UA. That information is undoubtedly very useful to ISIS at this point, making what they have already vowed to do an even greater cause for concern.

Am I the only one able to see the obvious? this "outbreak" has been intentionally created by Time Warner executives to boost the ratings of the first season of "The Last Ship"

Well, those are reassuring statistics, almost as comforting at President Obama's reassurances two weeks ago when he said .

"First and foremost, I want the American people to know that our experts, here at the CDC and across our government, agree that the chances of an Ebola outbreak here in the United States are extremely low. We’re working with hospitals to make sure that they are prepared, and to ensure that our doctors, our nurses and our medical staff are trained, are ready, and are able to deal with a possible case safely."

I agree with Sahib Soetoro El Presidente Negrito in his words of reassurance. In fact I consider the under-reported Chikungunya Epidemic of 2014 in the Caribbean (of which I was patient zero in New York State, and 6th in the US) a lot more threatening and dangerous than any Viral Hemorrhagic Fever which requires the most unthinkable conditions to be easily transmitted.
With Chikungunya or the Flue, both debilitating viral diseases that can kill or paralyze a person, you only need air or a moskito, while with Ebola you need to clean and lick the wounds of a person dying of Ebola in order to get infected.
People on the better side of the Atlantic do not eat bat meat, prepare the hemorrhagic body of a moribund for burial, or lack air conditioning in hospital settings (which greatly reduces the temptation of ripping your nursing protective clothing apart).
If an ebola patient was in a plane US-bound he probably would not cough blood directly into another passenger's esophagus, but kinda sideways or into a napkin or a sleeve instead. Surviving the plane back home, the patient would be admitted into a hospital where would be isolated and treated with more care than they treat pneumonia, TB, or the common flu which kills 9999% more people a year than any African Hemorrhagic Fever, as cool material they make for movies and uber realistic tv series made in collaboration with the Navy.

Apparently the Dallas ebola patient was not exhibiting any symptoms during his 28 hour journey to Dallas, but it is clear that he was infected prior to his departure from Liberia.

Details of the man's 28-hour trip from disease-ravaged western Africa emerged Wednesday. He flew on two airlines, took three flights, and had lengthy airport layovers - including one at Washington Dulles International Airport - before reaching Texas on Sept. 20.

http://www.wjla.com/...l#ixzz3F0kW0yUg

He did not go to the hospital in Dallas until September 25th (after "falling ill" on the 24th) and it is reported that he had contact with others prior to going to the hospital. He was in contact with hospital personnel prior to being sent home and he was already exhibiting symptoms at that time.

It is not terribly difficult to visualize how an infected individual who has no symptoms (and is from and was infected in the USA) could board a plane in the USA and arrive in Argentina without raising a red flag regarding ebola.
He was originally seen by a Nurse Partitioner. Compliments of the republican fight against ACH. Given antibiotics for a frigging virus.

He was originally seen by a Nurse Partitioner. Compliments of the republican fight against ACH. Given antibiotics for a frigging virus.
The Chinese say they're prepared for Ebola because they have stockpiles of flue vaccines. To each their own logic. I'd take chicken noodle soup, some paracetamol and lots of sprite if I got infected.

There are no direct flights from Liberia to the U.S., nor do any U.S. airlines fly to Liberia.
I could think of some people in D.C. who I'd like to get the ebola virus or be beheaded or both.

I agree with Sahib Soetoro El Presidente Negrito in his words of reassurance. In fact I consider the under-reported Chikungunya Epidemic of 2014 in the Caribbean (of which I was patient zero in New York State, and 6th in the US) a lot more threatening and dangerous than any Viral Hemorrhagic Fever which requires the most unthinkable conditions to be easily transmitted.
With Chikungunya or the Flue, both debilitating viral diseases that can kill or paralyze a person, you only need air or a moskito, while with Ebola you need to clean and lick the wounds of a person dying of Ebola in order to get infected.
People on the better side of the Atlantic do not eat bat meat, prepare the hemorrhagic body of a moribund for burial, or lack air conditioning in hospital settings (which greatly reduces the temptation of ripping your nursing protective clothing apart).
If an ebola patient was in a plane US-bound he probably would not cough blood directly into another passenger's esophagus, but kinda sideways or into a napkin or a sleeve instead. Surviving the plane back home, the patient would be admitted into a hospital where would be isolated and treated with more care than they treat pneumonia, TB, or the common flu which kills 9999% more people a year than any African Hemorrhagic Fever, as cool material they make for movies and uber realistic tv series made in collaboration with the Navy.
While I appreciate the putting perspective of all this you might consider that ebola can most probably be passed by mosquito bite too. (a mosquito in the process of biting injects you, and if it bit an ebola infected person first ...) Yes it is a long shot, but not impossible.

The whole goal of the media is to get clicks, which leads to more advertising dollars, not to inform people. Fear creates urgency, gets people to click. Go to any major us news website and the front story is about one guy with ebola in the US. Does anyone actually think this is the most important event in the world right now?

Take ebola and stack it on top of ISIS, even better for clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back