I have found the PERFECT job...Encargado

LostinBA

Registered
Where else can one make 8-10K pesos per month with massively above market bi-annual raises, a free apartment, have tenants pay your union dues, expenses, taxes and even find creative ways to rip them off on a monthly basis?!

Why study at a university or struggle to launch a successful business when you can simply put on those incredibly unfashionable clothes and make bank!!!

We should all be encargados! Sign me up!!!

:) ... I remember the encargados used to live in the most upper floor.
I thought that was cool.

I should add more about the creative ways....I noticed that every month we have been being charged for black garbage bags so I decided (following a couple beers and maybe a little weed) to mark the bags to see if they would be replaced...nope...2 weeks later they were all still there even though we were being charged 500-600 pesos per month to replace them...I'm sure they play dozens of these little tricks...

And yes, they get the top floor with a pretty darn good patio too!

Where on earth did you get 8 to 10K pesos per month??? They get paid well, but not that well.

you seem pretty angry with your lot in life. as all things, this too shall pass.

My current encargada makes 1,400 pesos a month. My old encargado made a little more, but still made less than 2k a month.

If it was that easy to make 10k a month polishing brass door knobs, everyone would be doing it.

The last encargado that I had (in 2005) earned just under 3,000 pesos. With inflation, I would imagine it would be much higher now (5-6K?). He also lived in a cute little 1-bedroom in Belgrano with massive patio.
I heard from an Argentine friend of mine that getting a nice encargado gig is extremely hard. He compared it to a kind of mafia!

My encargado earned $4,152 NET in August. I can confirm that there are many ways that they make extra money - inflating cleaning supply bills is just one.

The vigilante nocturno in my building earns net $6,542 ARS per month. I'm not sure if he does much of anything beyond serving as a psychologist for the gossipy elderly women in the building...

I am looking at my liquidacion de expensas right now and our encargado gets a total of $3.100 pesos per month in hand. Social security taxes / union dues / health insurance is about $2.200 pesos additional (paid by consorcio to the government). He's been here for 11 years. The encargados that make that much money are the ones in buildings that have central heating / hotwater (which the encargado has to operate), garage or carport (which they get paid a plus to clean), or encargados that have been in buildings for 20+ years that get paid a significant "plus" for their length of employment. Ours has a 1 bedroom apartment on the top floor with use of the terrace / roof, and gets paid electricity and telephone service. I personally never have heard of an encargado making 10K per month unless they worked a hec of a lot of overtime plus it was the month they got paid their aguinaldo. I personally don't think that they are especially hard working, but some are very reliable and I think most buildings would be in bad shape without a human presence there. In New York City where I come from every building has a superintendent and they make A LOT more money then here. Ours had a 3 bedroom apartment and 2 parking spaces plus made $50K per year. He and his wife vacuumed the hallways and waxed the floor in the lobby and took out the garbage, not much else. Here's a link to the regularly monthly salary schedule for encargados (which are all in the SUTERH) building worker's union: http://impuestosblog.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/escala-salarial-encargados-de-edificios.jpg

Back