I haven't been able to get a good night's rest anywhere here

I don't know how you guys sleep with earplugs in, it's really uncomfortable. Do they make some specific for sleeping?

Go to live in a neighborhood outside the building craziness. Devoto maybe? Coghland? Here in the Western suburbs things are quiet at night, and I live in the center of this town, 3 blocks from the train station.

I live downtown, near a Brazilian club and a few boliches. The only thing that has worked for me is half a bottle of Torrontes before bedtime :p

I lived at the intersection of Córdoba and Pueyrredón for 6 months, facing Córdoba. Great, central location but the noise of sirens and traffic constantly was so intense, even on the 12th floor, that it eventually faded into white noise that we stopped noticing. I would Skype with my mom and she would wonder what was happening outside, and I would always have to tell her that was what things always sounded like.

After that I lived at two quieter places, both older buildings where the unit was close to the back of the building. It was totally worth not having much of a view. Now I live across the street from a boliche at a fairly busy intersection where the light is frequently broken and there is at least one crashing car accident each week. I thought, if I have to hear one more techno rendition of Katy Perry's "Firework" I am going to scream. But luckily I brought two types of earplugs back from the U.S. and they are magical. I know they're uncomfortable at first, but just keep trying because once you get used to them you will never go back.

I live in a noisy neighborhood and found that drinking myself into oblivion is the only way to knock me out and get some sleep. The only problem is dealing with the incessant pounding in my head the next morning.

Now that I think about it, and to paraphrase Warren Zevon, the only decent sleep I'll probably get is when I'm dead.

I know what you mean Duderino, I've gotten used to foam-rubber plugs that you roll in your fingertips to a small string, then insert and they expand to fill your ear. I only use them when flying, and can tolerate them, but sleep better without. Some brands are more comfortable than others, Physician's Choice are softer and moister than other brands I've tried.

citygirl said:
2) Older buildings. They often have better construction, thicker walls, etc.
3) Contrafrente is your friend.
4) High floors are better

Nail on the head. I live on Paseo Colon. Very noisy. Probably 15 different bus lines. But the apartment is on the top floor (albeit the 2nd) in a 90-year-old building and contrafrente. I've never had any problems.

Actually, ever since I've been here I've lived in older buildings and always contrafrente. Since I can't compare to having a balcony, I guess I'll just say that I enjoy getting my sleep! The only problem I have now is the sun waking me up earlier than my alarm.

This morning a friend of mine said he is going to buy a riffle to kill the mockingbird that is waking him up every morning. Another kind of city noise...(LOL)

Ambient noise is the way to go. We use a fan in the bed room and we can not hear any outside noise. In the winter we just face the fan to the wall. I can not sleep without it.

Back