I haven't been able to get a good night's rest anywhere here

Thick windows do help. I was staying a month on the first floor of a fancy hotel facing Corrienties, near the Obelisco, and never had a problem with street noise. But, I don't have that option with renting.

El Duderino said:
Had to get this off my chest, as it's really starting to affect my mood and overall health
:(

In extreme situations I've used the roll-up ear plugs, and then added noise-cancelling headphones one top. This works for example to sleep at burning-man next to the loudest sound camps that play all night and day. This combination gets normal noise spikes down to a low enough level so they don't interupt sleep. If the noise that's still coming through is too distractingly bad, I play downtempo music to drown out the other stuff. To make this work at it's best you need closed-ear noise cancelling phones.

Burning Man methods sound pretty extreme. And using headphones, you'd have to assume I'm drugged up enough to fall asleep on my back. :p

katti said:
Is it expensive? who did it? is it double glazing?

I can find out the name of the company for you, I don't have it handy. They cost us 6,000 pesos per window, however our windows are those floor to ceiling double french doors 2.5 meters high x 2 meters wide. This also included dismounting the metal shutters on the outside, rebuilding the frames, cutting the stone around the balconies so the metal shutters had enough room to open since they were now mounted further out on the frame, etc.......it was very complex, and messy but well worth it. They are double thick vibration resistant glass mounted in aluminum frames. Seem to be very solid and good quality.

Toughen up princess, i dont even notice street noise anymore

what is a bus, i dont ride them and i dont hear them

I don't know what sound proof windows are. I have double glazed windows and they help but do NOT really solve the problem. When there is construction or partiers I can not sleep.

I was thinking of this thread last night, as my boyfriend and I watched a movie on Cuevana in bed. Thank God the subtitles were on, or we would have missed a lot of dialogue due to motos and trash trucks and honking cars, oh my. Later, just as I was about to put my earplugs in, a drunken porteña started screeching and slurring Justin Bieber's "Baby" as she left the after office spitting distance from our window. BABY, BABY, BABY OOOHHHHHH! (People who believe porteños never get excessively drunk have never lived across the street from a boliche.) And then, bright orange foamy silence.

Seriously, people. Earplugs.

I'm also a super light sleeper who hates earplugs, but they're a lot cheaper than new windows and less annoying than having a fan blowing on you all night. I buy Pretty in Pink brand by the kilo in the US and go through a set a week. No idea why the goofy name, except they are supposed to be for women. Basically, they roll up softer and smaller and don't cause that weird ear pain after you use them. I've used them every night in BA and they are literally a dream. Suerte!

Haha I loved this thread. I thought I was the only one about to go crazy with the bird singing twice a day!

We used to live for our first 1.5 years on a semipiso in Palermo, close to Scalabrini Ortiz avenue. It was HEAVEN compared to our new (6 months living in) apartment in Belgrano.

This neighborhood is HELL man. I, like some others, just drink myself to sleep.

Sad but works like an english clock.

Back