I Tried Xoom Today

I tried Xoom for the first time too and I'm very happy with it. Here's the bullet point version of my experience:

- Setup my account and sent US$500 from my credit card to my wife's checking account in Santander Rio

- Xoom insta-cancelled my transfer and blocked my account due to "security issues"

- I called them and they sent me an email requesting a copy of a government id and bank statement from the credit card I used. I e-mailed them a scan of my US Driver's License and a PDF statement of my credit card.

- They unblocked my account in about 3 hours and told me to re-submit my transfer, but it was around 8 pm Argentina time so I decided to wait.

- I re-submitted the transfer at around 10 AM the next day and it was in my wife's bank account by 1 PM.

- The rate quoted was 6.26 pesos per dollar. But of course there are fees that they charge on top of that which reduced the effective rate to 5.97.

Escu said:
I tried Xoom for the first time too and I'm very happy with it. Here's the bullet point version of my experience:

- Setup my account and sent US$500 from my credit card to my wife's checking account in Santander Rio

- Xoom insta-cancelled my transfer and blocked my account due to "security issues"

- I called them and they sent me an email requesting a copy of a government id and bank statement from the credit card I used. I e-mailed them a scan of my US Driver's License and a PDF statement of my credit card.

- They unblocked my account in about 3 hours and told me to re-submit my transfer, but it was around 8 pm Argentina time so I decided to wait.

- I re-submitted the transfer at around 10 AM the next day and it was in my wife's bank account by 1 PM.

- The rate quoted was 6.26 pesos per dollar. But of course there are fees that they charge on top of that which reduced the effective rate to 5.97.

Maybe they have different verification procedures based on the destination for the money. I picked up the pesos in person so they were able to look at my passport and see me at the same time. Also watched me sign several documents.
For transfers from a credit card to a bank account they seem to require documentation before the order is processed. It would be better if they just told you the requirements instead of cancelling a transfer.

I'm planning on using Xoom soon. So let me get this straight...I make the transfer online from my bank account, go to Retiro, show them my passport and fill out some paperwork (I don't have a DNI or argentine bank account) and then I'm good to go?

How long does it take between making the transfer online and being able to pick up the $

Lclc23 said:
I'm planning on using Xoom soon. So let me get this straight...I make the transfer online from my bank account, go to Retiro, show them my passport and fill out some paperwork (I don't have a DNI or argentine bank account) and then I'm good to go?

How long does it take between making the transfer online and being able to pick up the $

I can only tell you my experience..... I setup the account online, ordered the transfer and returned their phone call. The call lasted about 1 minute and the girl told me everything was approved.
A few minutes later I got a confirming email.
I assume I could have picked up the money at that time but I didnt get around to it for about 3 hours.
I only have a passport.
Good luck.

Lclc23 said:

I've made 5-6 transfers using Xoom. You synopsis is correct, but with variables.

It seems many factors affect the time needed for your funds to be ready for pick-up, and what paperwork will be required from you at that time. My transfers all take about 5 days. A friend of mine, however, can get his money within minutes of making an online transfer.

My latest transfer resulted in payment of over 10,000 peso and there were a few phone calls More needed to make before I got my money. Even still, it took less than 20 minutes in their office. After the 5 days for approval, of course.

With the exchange rate Xoom offers, I can afford to be very patient.

I tried using xoom for the first time today.

A test amount of 500 us$. After 15 minutes, I get a message " Your transaction is canceled for security reasons". Is this normal?

I called up call-center. They asked me my name, 2-3 times. They connected me to their " security department" ( who canceled my transaction), who again asked me my name. She ( security department rep.) told me, to try again re-sending the money.

I did it again. So far no response, after 30 minutes.

Is this the normal way?

jeff1234 said:
I've seen several posts recently where people discussed mixed experiences with Xoom.
So I tried it today and had a very good experience.
I transferred $200 from my bank account in the USA to a kiosko here. I received 1252.85 pesos (after paying their fee).
This is a net rate of 6.26:1.
It took me about 10 minutes to create a Xoom account and order the funds transfer.
In 10 minutes I got a message that Xoom had called my USA phone to confirm. I called them back and it took less than a minute to satisfy them.
When I picked up the pesos it took about 20 minutes to fill out the forms. I needed the help of someone who spoke fluent spanish. We were told that next time I would only need to show my passport.
I am completely satisfied with Xoom, especially the 6.2:1 rate.

thanks for your post, What Kiosko? Where is it located? :confused: Thanks

Xoom to Argentine Bank? Has that experience been positive?

I would be somewhat concerned about that transfer as opposed to a Kiosco.

Back