I Tried Xoom Today

anjuna11 said:
Libertad location is open M-F from 8-6.

When I was there yesterday at the end of the day and my transfer did not confirm in time, the guy gave me this address and said it was open on Saturday from 9:00-20:00:

Boulogne Sur Mer 442

May work, may not. I'll follow up if I give it a shot.

I ended up going to Florida and exchanging a couple hundred dollars at a flat rate of 6:1. Please let me know if you did try going there today and how it went. Thanks.

I gave it a shot today with mixed success. The location is More Money though I don't remember seeing it on the xoom website. It's considerably sketchier, gives off the vibe that*
they've been robbed before and are now taking precautions.*

The whole transaction takes place behind closed doors. A lot of people were picking up clothes, not sure why. Also saw one lady picking up a USD transfer.*

*I had two transfers, one for 130 and the other for 500 usd but only the one for 130 worked.*

The guy said there was a limit of 3000 pesos at this location and he couldn't call head office to verify it because it was Saturday. He could have made up the limit because it was after he asked how much the transfer was and I said*500 usd.*

Ended up going to Florida since 780 pesos will not last until Tuesday.*

Both the 130 and 500 transfers had xoom confirmation emails saying ready for pickup though I did have to call Xoom to get the 500 taken off hold earlier in the day. Perhaps that caused the issue.*

The guy told me hours were 9-7 on Saturday and 10-5 on Sunday. Also said they would be open Monday despite the holiday.*

jeff123456
do you live in LP?
excuse my ignorance but I have only brought money into this country,usually by atm.
I am hoping sell some property,then remove the dosh offshore,in dollars and if I change
them to pesos in the "blue market" it boosts the cash quite a lot.Would the afip get the
hump if I did that then used my bank to try and transfer it to UK?
Any other suggestions?cheers all.Mr.P

I just did cash pickup transaction sending US dollars to myself at about 6:1 pesos conversion. Picked up at the More location on Libertad

If there's a 3000 peso limit I didn't run into it. This was my 2nd Xoom xfer - first was $300 and painless. Sent and got confirmation ready for pickup in minutes. Second time got in process email in minutes but Xoom stopped the transaction and asked for additional verification docs (utility bill with current address and a government ID)

Bit of hassle sending that in while abroad but I just downloaded a PDF doc of my bank statement with USA address maching my Xoom linked bank account, and used iPhone to take a pic of my driver license. Emailed those in as attachments and later that same day zoom released hold on transaction

Went to More next morning and picked up $700 US in form of ~4200 pesos with usual steps of show passport, answer guy's question which I only half understood but told him I was a tourist (even though here on long stay), and signed his double receipts

Only next part I'm waiting to see how it goes is when I go over the normal per 30day limit of $2999. Supposedly with additional info provided you can go above that to $6k per 30day and something like $19k in 180 days

Update - did a $1k xfer to myself today and no real issues other than the More Casa location had me do an extra step this time - guy asked me questions about being single/married, occupation, and local telephone number.

He filled out a long form with that info and had me sign it, made an extra call and then finally started normal process to receipt and count out pesos

Added maybe extra 10min to total time to pickup cash.

Only real issue with Xoom is the per 30 and per 180 day maximum limits even if you provide additional verification info.

Anyone know if there's a similar xoom service with these sorts of rates for non US residents? I suppose the other option is to go to Uruguay or Chile and extract US dollars from your European bank account.

Forget about Uruguay for dollars-- at least on a Sunday. The ATM machines in Colonia (and I tried a lot of them) all say that the machine is under maintenance when u ask for US dollars. Finally gave up and got Uruguay pesos to pay for dinner. And paid U$S 30 per person for lunch! Whew! felt like a real tourist!!!

I tried Xoom last week –*I set up a US bank account from Canada. Unfortunately I needed a US billing/mailing address... so it don't matter. I couldn't use it.

Anyone know any work arounds or similar services for Canadians?

Huxley1234 said:
I tried Xoom last week –*I set up a US bank account from Canada. Unfortunately I needed a US billing/mailing address... so it don't matter. I couldn't use it.

Anyone know any work arounds or similar services for Canadians?

set up a US address with the US bank.

It will work.

Get a US address of a friend or a mail forward address

Ceviche said:
set up a US address with the US bank.

It will work.

Get a US address of a friend or a mail forward address

Yes, this should work. You can use a service like www.virtualpostmail.com and they have a normal street address. They also will deposit checks into major bank accounts for you if you have checks mailed there.

Xoom customer service isn't that great but once you fill out all the paperwork from More Money (there were several forms) then you should be ok to send in future wires.

I had to fill out all sorts of papers, send in copies of my documents, bank statements, credit card statement and a few other things but I've wired in thousands of dollars never with any problem now.

Back