I Tried Xoom Today

ndcj said:
Each coupon only works one time per account.

Ah...thanks for that tip. I figured that was the case. I've never been able to find another code besides "cruz" that worked.

earlyretirement said:
Xoom definitely is a legitimate company. However, they seem to really really be careful about potential fraud. Everything has to line up right. They asked me for tons of things including driver's license, passport, bank statement, even copy of my credit card statement (as I was using that to fund the account).

They wanted to see that all the addresses matched up on all the statements. If not, I think they view it as a higher percentage of fraud. They would rather miss out on the business vs. taking a chance of fraud when things don't line up.

I've had no problems at all sending in thousands of dollars by filling out all their paperwork and on the More Money side too. No problems at all but everything matched on my paperwork. I think that is the key.

They don't do any credit checks as I have a credit monitoring service and no soft or hard pull is done with the credit reporting agencies...

I just wanted to add that my experience has been the same. I've only used them twice so far, once for $250 and another for $500, but each time has been extremely smooth. I sent the money from my bank directly and all the addresses/information matched up. I went to the More location on Libertad and was only at the counter for 3 minutes, signed a couple of docs, and got my money. I really love using Xoom because they are giving 6 pesos to a dollar at the moment.

When I first setup the account, I accidentally clicked the send button when I meant to view my original transaction. I called them up and requested they remove the second transaction and they did so within minutes and without problems. I will definitely post an update if my experience changes.

All you Xoom users are having your passport numbers collected by AFIP and you will be required to pay the difference with the official exchange rate when you leave the country.

As well as interest and a 15% "handling fee".

Don't have the money? Have you seen the inside of an Argentinian jail? Checkout the movie "Midnight Express". There similar to the Turkish variety.

Hahah......how did you come to that conclusion? If it is the case, there are a lot of people in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe said:
All you Xoom users are having your passport numbers collected by AFIP and you will be required to pay the difference with the official exchange rate when you leave the country.

Don't have the money? Have you seen the inside of an Argentinian jail? Checkout the movie "Midnight Express". There similar to the Turkish variety.

Joe said:

It's true! I've left the country 3 times and every time I've had to pay the difference PLUS extravagant 50% interest + penalties, thousands of US American dollars extra!

However, I had a mate with one of the inspectors, turns out we're distant cousins, and he offered to give me a discount on the interest - only 10% penalties (plus the exchange rate difference). If anyone is leaving the country soon, PM me, you can wire money into my bank account using my discount and I will give you a special paper that you can present at the airport, this will clear you of the special tax! It's a big discount OPPORTUNITY PM ME NOW or you will go to TURKISH PRISON!

Reactions: Joe
Joe said:

Joe, I'd love to hear your source on this.

Hello all. I see mention of using credit cards only. Has anyone been successful using AMEX or just Visa & Mastercard?

Also, does anyone have successful experience with debit card use?

Everyone on this site has been incredibly helpful to make my BA adventure in October a success. Thank you BA Expats and Portenos!

Joe said:

I assume Joe is joking around but in light of the crazy restrictions, taxes and controls probably something best not to joke about.

No, I've not had any problems leaving the country or getting asked to pay any extra taxes and I've used Xoom a few times.

I doubt More Money even shares this information with anyone and just does it for internal controls.

I think almost everyone missed Joe's smiling wink icon on his post...

ElQueso said:
I think almost everyone missed Joe's smiling wink icon on his post...

Ah...yeah I didn't even see that wink up there..... but I figured he was just being sarcastic but then saw some follow up posts. I'm sure with all the madness some newbies might have been worried..... LOL.

I wouldn't put anything past CFK anymore. :p

Back