I Was Swindled Out Of $1000 Dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe sorry to hear of the mishap!
Not clear to me how he got a hold of your $1000 was an advance ?

He will not come back anytime soon .
The homeless will be a happy person
Some people you can't trust
Your only hope is to go and collect in person

I can guess how he got joe's 1k. I imagine : Joes asked him to bring some dollars back, he said:" I am short on cash here, please transfer 1k to my paypal first, so I can get it for you". Joe then gave him 1k from PayPal. I hope he will return Joe's dinero soon, it's not worth it to spoil the good friendship for 1k. After all, Joe did something very nice to him. Hope he can see that. Espero.

Reactions: Joe
Its really not clear, was he supposed to pay you for storing his stuff? If you have an extra room to store things so you are not like falling over it I don't see why its such a big deal. Annoying but ...
There is perhaps more to this? You maybe lent money for the trip to Uruguay or something?
Yes, it wasn't clear: I sent him $1000 in US dollars in Uruguay by Zoom to return to me. I wasn't charging him anything to store the bags. You can receive US Dollars in Uruguay via Zoom.

Poor Joe,

luckily it was just $1000! Think about asking him/her to bring 10 times that!

I have been scammed 2 years ago and I can't publicly say who the scammer is. I met that scammer on a reputable Website such as this forum, and other members of that site were scammed like me and contacted me in private to share their experience, but this hasn't stopped the scammer - indeed! I felt angry at those scammed before me for not posting a warning, and when I tried to warn other anonymously, all I got was blackmailing and insults in private perpetrated by the scammer.

So - what's the point of airing out your experience if no name is provided? The scammer's modus operandi might vary from victim to victim, the only steady thing will be the scammer identity.
If the first victim spoke out, there wouldn't be a 2nd, a 3rd and a Joe.

I don't think you'll ever see your money back, but I hope you will be able to cause the scammer troubles when he/she tries to enter Argentina or Uruguay by filing a report against him/her.
Anyway, I suggest you to believe in karma rather than the police.

I plan to publish the name, email address, email transcripts, photos and everything unless it's against forum rules - later this week.

I thought about that but I doubt if he would give me his address and if he did it would probably be false. I'd end of wasting money on a trip to Uruguay. I have no desire to travel to Uruguay and that's the main reason I Xoomed him the money - to save me a trip. I'm not even sure if he is still in Uruguay. Might be anywhere but my best guess is he's still there.

I haven't looked in the bags yet - too depressed :(. But I will do that next week and photograph the contents. Maybe you'll see some items that mysteriously disappeared! Of course if there are a couple of iPad Airs in there I will have nothing to complain about! How likely is that?

Uh, Joe. I would never store anything in my house that I had not inspected first. Stop being so "American." The world is not full of good-willed, honest people. :)
Yes. I talked to an Argentine friend and they said I had to look in the bags because there could be drugs or arms that could get me in jail. I mentioned this to the owner/grifter and he gave me permission to look in the bags but I still haven't got the energy to go through what I presume is a lot of crap in two giant duffle bags.

Yes. I talked to an Argentine friend and they said I had to look in the bags because there could be drugs or arms that could get me in jail. I mentioned this to the owner/grifter and he gave me permission to look in the bags but I still haven't got the energy to go through what I presume is a lot of crap in two giant duffle bags.

Nothing in those bags can be more incriminating than your neo-liberalism.

It wasn't clear if he was bringing you $1,000 US of his money that you could transfer to his bank account from your account, or if he actually was bringing back your money. I'm sorry that happened to you. Many of us here have been scammed, and it ruins our experience in Argentina but we should warn each other so as to prevent further scams.

It wasn't clear if he was bringing you $1,000 US of his money that you could transfer to his bank account from your account, or if he actually was bringing back your money. I'm sorry that happened to you. Many of us here have been scammed, and it ruins our experience in Argentina but we should warn each other so as to prevent further scams.
I sent him cash in Uruguay. He only needed to show his passport. Xoom probably took a photocopy of his passport. Since he was presumably using his real passport then I doubt if they would give me a copy of his passport, i.e. no crime occurred as I intended to send him the money. Although I plan to ask for a copy of his passport. If he is using a false passport then maybe it would be of concern to Xoom and the US Consulate. I think he's a novice grifter and is still aways from using false IDs - but who knows.

So that scammer is still around and nobody says a word? WTF?

I am not talking about Joe's scammer, I was referring to another website, not expat related, but freelancing-related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back