I Was Swindled Out Of $1000 Dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very lame. Bummer, he seemed like a nice guy.

Wait, isn't that what they always say before the nice guy turns evil?

Reactions: Joe
Before everyone gets mad, let's not hate all the expats (each other). I happened to meet with Joe a few times, I am sure he would trust me to bring at $1000 to him or laptop from US. I have asked other people to bring me $ many times, and I did for other people too. I would consider this is an isolated incident, having said that, next time please make sure know who you are dealing with. There are many good people here, it's still OK to ask for favors, but just be more cautious.
I agree absolutely. It's an isolated incident like the apartment spat of a few months ago - I wouldn't want this bad experience to suggest that forum members are bad - it's a tiny minority. I had you and Matias as landlords and it was a great experience. I am partially at fault here for casually sending money to a person I didn't know well. As you said we need to be suitably cautious, which I admit I wasn't in this case.

Maybe it's just hopeful thinking that makes me feel better in situations like these... but what goes around eventually comes around. You can get another thousand dollars, but dignity and respect is a lot harder to recoup.

Greed. To "save" 2500 pesos (200 USD) pesos you lost 1000 dollars. Yikes!

That's pretty unfair. It's not greedy to try to ACTUALLY SAVE 20% of your capital, its sensible. Unfortunately with restrictions such as the ones in place we have to trust friends and amigos and as warm and comforting it can be at times, it's a system that allows for petty delinquents to have their way... and now you blame the victim!

Maybe it's just hopeful thinking that makes me feel better in situations like these... but what goes around eventually comes around. You can get another thousand dollars, but dignity and respect is a lot harder to recoup.

It is not just about another 1000 dollars, respect, or dignity. There are very bad people around and may be a transaction has been done to one of those with a fake ID. In the best of cases he lent money to a low level grifter or just a good guy with a financial problem.

Reactions: Joe
I agree absolutely. It's an isolated incident like the apartment spat of a few months ago - I wouldn't want this bad experience to suggest that forum members are bad - it's a tiny minority. I had you and Matias as landlords and it was a great experience. I am partially at fault here for casually sending money to a person I didn't know well. As you said we need to be suitably cautious, which I admit I wasn't in this case.

Showing trust in someone does not make you "at fault." It's an explainable error of judgement, but he's the one at fault.

If the situation is not fixed, you'll get a helping hand from many expats, you can count on mine! We are quite good at finding all the information about someone, he he (Florencia Daud, the rugbiers who almost beheaded the US guy, etc.).

If this expat wants to steal you, he/she should be aware of the consequences. (like it's not good having his/her name associated to the word scam, steal, etc. across Google for many years = makes it more difficult to find a job, have friends, etc.)

If the situation is not fixed, you'll get a helping hand from many expats, you can count on mine! We are quite good at finding all the information about someone, he he (Florencia Daud, the rugbiers who almost beheaded the US guy, etc.).

If this expat wants to steal you, he/she should be aware of the consequences.
Thanks Frenchie, I was hoping for your help!!!

It's very therapeutic to discuss this. I was really quite depressed about it for the last couple of weeks. Even though going public with my foolish action is embarrassing - it's helped me get out of my funk to get your messages, condolences and insight!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back