I Was Swindled Out Of $1000 Dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Joe, but your case is now in the (BAExpats) court of public opinion. The verdict will be delivered shortly.

I am still of the opinion that we should give some credit to the guy. He wanted to make Joe a favor, but things didn't go the way they both wanted. However, IG spoke out and explained the situation, which is remarkable in my opinion.
I am 100% confident that Joe will get his money back, not a penny less. The point is: can Joe wait? If, for whatever reason, he wants the money now, a money transfer service will be involved and a fee should be paid. I am not sure if IG can wire the money to Joe right now since this has been the main issue in getting the money to Joe (lack of documentation required to xoom the money from Uruguay to Argentina).

No good deed goes unpunished...
and ignoring my own advice I am still offering to help wire the money back should Joe need it before IG comes back to B.A.

That said I guess this thread has outlived its point.

Two good things have come from all of the this.

1. No new polls in the last month that 987 out 1000 expats don’t respond to.
2. Fresh popcorn and new drama everyday.
or was that three?

That is not the issue. I don't answer to any of you. I answer to Joe. I didn't need Joe's money to come here. If you find a single person in Buenos Aires (other than Joe) who has ever had an issue with me and money, then by all means share it. I have my own income. Honestly I don't think it's your place to assume things about me after I came here and said what I said.
Evidently you didn't "answer to Joe" in a timely manner either. And now have one forum member accusing you of being a "swindler" and another as a "freeloader" and then there is the rest of the jury that thinks you are full of shit and a poseur.

I think part of the morality of this morality play is sadly, "El que quiere celeste que le cueste" or something like that. But change celeste to verde, where verde is dollars (or dollars to pesos above the nonofficial rate). While the actions of the government make sense to (unsuccessfully) combat capital flight, it only makes it more and more difficult for those of us who either earn or have to pay taxes or other expenses in USD!
I would be careful promising anyone to use Xoom or wire money in a timely fashion for the near future. I had a coworker from Venezuela whose family sent her approved dollars from Santander to Santander bank (i.e. technically the same bank) and it took her months to get them out....in pesos of course. She didn't want dollars, just the pesos.

"El que quiere celeste que le cueste"
I would be careful promising anyone to use Xoom or wire money in a timely fashion for the near future. I had a coworker from Venezuela whose family sent her approved dollars from Santander to Santander bank (i.e. technically the same bank) and it took her months to get them out....in pesos of course. She didn't want dollars, just the pesos.
"Hecha la ley hecha la trampa" applies better. Whenever any product or service is made illegal it only creates a black market for it. That is the reason Russians did not starve to extinction when the Curtain wall fell: a complex and efficient system of Caucasian and Central Asian illegal vegetable and fruit vendors was in place to save the day. Not that these people are being thanked by current genertions.
Obviously in Argentina there are sophisticated systems to move green vegetables with the same ease - if you know the right people, which makes you quiet fortunate.

IG,

I'd recommend getting your Xoom account setup or fixed and then Xooming me $950US (this with fees is slightly less than $1000).

I'd consider us even at that point.

In addition, I would extend the deadline for keeping your stuff until the end of September (and until then only because I may be moving out of my apartment). You can then relax soaking up the rays on the tranquil beaches of Punta without having to come back to noisy BA...

What do you think?
Joe, I read what you said about moving the deadline for the stuff to September. I appreciate that. I would also appreciate you putting of your plans for tomorrow. I will try other possible solutions and I will be in touch with you either here or privately.
IG,

Yes, I can keep your stuff until the end of September, but that is only if you repay me by the end of this month - August.

Regarding "putting off my plans for tomorrow". That's today now, and as I said in my email, from a week ago, I would not extend that. Unless you make at least a partial payment by the end of business today, then I will publish your personal details, photo,etc. as I told you I would by email a week ago.

If you want, we can talk by Skype tonight ~7-8pm and we can discuss a last minute stay.

No good deed goes unpunished...
and ignoring my own advice I am still offering to help wire the money back should Joe need it before IG comes back to B.A.

That said I guess this thread has outlived its point.
Matt, I sent you a PM. I appreciate the effort you're making. Could you tells us more about your service?

It's true "no good deed goes unpunished". Recently I offered to keep someone's luggage - no charge - and well you know the rest of the story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back