I wish them well, it's about time for choice.

SaraSara said:
That has to be the stupidest argument yet. "Actual people who breathe on their own" are not defenseless like unborn babies and fetuses are.

It shouldn't be necessary to resort to abortion - plenty of birth control methods around, including day-after pills. There's little excuse for unwanted pregnancies.

It's true that people should first be educated and have unadulterated access to birth control methods, including the morning after pill. In a perfect world there would be no unwanted pregnancies (amongst many, many other things). That said, accidents do happen (as does rape, incest, etc.),and birth control is not 100% effective. Usually abortion is only considered an option up until the end of the first trimester, which should be more than plenty of time for someone to make such a decision. I believe that people should have the liberty to choose what happens to their body, and whether or not they decide to have an abortion should be a private issue between their own conscience and whatever code of morality they live by, not a state mandate. I would hope that nobody could ever be forced to have an abortion. I believe strongly that it should be a choice.

As an aside, it seems to me that the previous argument was that the pro-life agenda generally seems to focus on and care more about the unborn babies than anything that happens to them after they are born.

I agree with you completely MizzMarr. Thank you for stating it so eloquently.

The undebatable fact is that abortion does happen and will continue to happen, whether it is legal or not. However, poor women in particular will have limited access to a safe procedure because it is "illegal." It is easy to stand by and judge whether someone made "a poor choice," but you never know what someone's situation is, whether they are in an abusive relationship, whether their birth control failed, or whether they have more children at home already than they can provide for. I can't believe that in 2010 we are still arguing about whether a woman has the right to control her body. No one is happy at the prospect of needing to choose to terminate a pregnancy, but it should be an unalienable right, worldwide and regardless of income.

I also would love to see the "pro-life" forces be much more focused on taking care of the children who are already on this planet, as well as never being pro-death penalty!

SaraSara said:
That has to be the stupidest argument yet. "Actual people who breathe on their own" are not defenseless like unborn babies and fetuses are.

It shouldn't be necessary to resort to abortion - plenty of birth control methods around, including day-after pills. There's little excuse for unwanted pregnancies.

I ´ve never thought I would find myself agreeing with you on something!!

Abortion is the most cruel crime. It should be banned elsewhere.

By having sex, you take the risk of getting pregnant. If you don´t want a baby, use protection. If it fails, it´s the will of God. None should be assasinated.

This has to be with the desire of the power elite to reduce world´s population.

You know those babies and kids in the subte getting pimped out by their mothers are pretty defenseless too. I wonder how many "pro-lifers" in Buenos Aires actually stop to give those "defenseless" children a helping hand.

While the preaching of pro-life can make one all warm and fuzzy inside, and makes sense in a utopia, the world is not a utopia. There is a lot of suffering and a lot of misery. I'm in Rio now and have been hanging out with a group of volunteers that work in the favelas and with street children with no parents. I can only imagine trying to hold a straight face and telling these children, children that are 7 and 8, with only a younger sister or brother to rely on, that live in holes under a bridge, with sewage, that have to prostitute themselves to make ends meet....that this pathetic existence of a life is at least "the will of God".

Give me a f@cking break.

Abortion shouldn't be the only solution but it is a reality. We don't live in paradise.

Lee said:
Abortion should be legal and in fact encouraged.

Humans are animals but unlike animals we have choices.

There are more than enough humans on this planet already.

Lee, I know this may surprise you, but it would seem that you are a member of the "power elite"

SaraSara said:

I agree (well, almost), it does sound like a stupid argument. But it's not to me. Quite the opposite. I don't think an aborted zygote feels anything.

Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? Certainly not you or me.

And, what you are arguing here is really your opinion; but it is pretty much nonsense, if I can say that of an opinion.

<"Actual people who breathe on their own" are not defenseless like unborn babies and fetuses are.>

Millions and millions of babies per year all around the world are born into suffering. Here in Argentina (and forget about the other 100 countries on the planet who have it worse), poverty and starvation is a tremendously saddening reality.

Also, "there's litle excuse for unwanted pregnancy" is your opinion. My opinion is that a woman can do with her body, and what I consider to be a nearly unconscious, if not unconscious, being in her womb, what she pleases.

Vikingo said:
I ´ve never thought I would find myself agreeing with you on something!!

Abortion is the most cruel crime. It should be banned elsewhere.

By having sex, you take the risk of getting pregnant. If you don´t want a baby, use protection. If it fails, it´s the will of God. None should be assasinated.

This has to be with the desire of the power elite to reduce world´s population.

In my opinion there are fates far worse than death, and far crueler than abortion. Far crueler.

Regarding the will of God: I believe God's will is for us to do exactly as we please and to live with the consequences (here on Earth, where all the suffering is).

What many people please (including myself) is for women to have the right decide what to do with their body.

PhilipDT said:
oh boy.....
Whos God ? There seems to be a growing number of gods floating around these days.
What to sell an ideology? Just build yourself the suitable god and sell the program.

Back