If you are looking for a dog...

Good puppies can be found...

Check out the newlyweds at my house (Frida and Diego).

nikad said:
I believe Jim is great at what he does, and he has every right to charge what he thinks his services are worth. As with everything, you always have a broad range of alternatives and prices... I don´t understand the reason why some people here on this board are bashing Jim, although I feel that envy plays a major role in it ( I ´m not referring to you Mini on this last statement )

Of course he has the right to charge whatever he likes and people can chose whoever they want to work with. I'm just providing information from my experience.

I used to breed dogs & have worked with my share of dog trainers. He is on the high end of the price scale in many countries.

Now on the other hand, if you want a pure breed dog, I think talking to Jim wouldn't be a bad idea. Down here, you don't always get what you think you're getting when it comes to pure breed dogs.

BTW, I dont' think people are bashing Jim. I think the thread has gone down a very different path.

ElQueso said:
Orwellian, you have suddenly, in the last day or so, become overwhelmingly, boringly priggish. Particularly with a conversation such as this.

Just can't stand meat eating hypocrites. They really get me going.

I've had many adopted dogs in my life - have six strays right now, all disgustingly healthy. The only dog I ever bought is also considered a mutt by the AKA: a cockapoo, bought following the vet's advice when I was looking for a poodle. He told me this mixed breed was far stronger than either cocker spaniels or poodles, and practically problem-free: cast-iron dogs, he called them. There's no inbreeding, and no congenital problems.

The only trouble with adopting mutts is that, if you get them as puppies, you never know what kind of dog you'll end up with. Which, in my view, makes the whole thing more interesting.

Sara

Here are two of my strays, looking through the kitchen window. Both were dumped at my place when they were about six weeks old - tiny, scrawny, flea-ridden things, so terrified they hid under the furniture and would not come out even to eat.

They bounced back in a week, and are now healthy and full of life. One of them turned out to be a large German Shepherd mix, while the other one looks like a whippet with long wavy hair.

Attachments

• La Nena y La Flaca.jpg
    La Nena y La Flaca.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 18
Do you have experience as a dog trainer? My daughter adopted two gentle, quiet strays, and now that they are well fed and healthy they turn out to be very energetic. She works all day and could use a good trainer to teach them to stay on the sidewalk and not step on the street, and come when she calls them.

Sara

Hi SaraSara,

I work with the dogs at the shelter (same shelter as Andrea Arden but do not work with her). I'm not ready to call myself a trainer yet. ;o) Still in the learning stage!
Although, if you'd like, I can check with my FH's friend Frango who would probably know of a trainer. He's a dog walker in Palermo. I went on a walk with him and he's AMAZING. The dogs truly respect him and I can see the difference between the way his pack is to the others while gathered in the park. He does not practice aggresive obedience methods either as he uses praise.
One way though to work with the recall is to use food or a toy. It depends on what motivates them (if they were strays then I'd say food). She can use a long leash at the park and use the food to lure them back to her while calling their names, when they get to her she can give them lots of praise.
Working with shelter dogs really makes me realize that the dogs just want to please you and praise and love work wonders!!
If she or you are interested, I can also reccomend a few really good books. I especially like Stanley Coren and Pat Miller. Let me know and best of luck!!

Although I didnt want a dog,this poor little girl was abandoned by her expat owner and was on the street for many weeks.It was sad to see no one here on this forum offer her a home,so I did.

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/7838-really-nice-dog-needs-good-home.html

She has turned out to be one of the sweetest,lovable,goofy dogs I have ever met and I love her to death.

There are many stray dogs on the streets here that need a home,or you can also try your local pet shop and ask if they have any leads on dogs in need of a good loving home.

Congratulations, BKK to BA. I'm sure you'll benefit for the adoption as much as the dog.

Thanks for the tips, NY Kate. I'd be very interested to learn about the shelter you mention. My sister and I have been looking for a well-run shelter to contribute to on a regular basis, but have found none so far. Plenty of kind hearted people, but not always responsible run.

Once we visited MAPA's shelter and saw scrawny dogs being fed rice. There was a Carrefour across the street, so we bought two large bags of dog chow and lugged them to the shelter. Next morning we went to visit a puppy my daughter was interested in, and saw the dogs STILL being fed cold rice. We asked about the 40 kilos of dog chow, and were told they had been "sent" to their other shelter, which was closed that day to visitors.

That's the kind of thing I'm concerned about - contributions should benefit the dogs, not shelter administrators.

Any dog-trainer lead will be appreciated. GENTLE dog trainers, that is, not based on fear. No choke collars, etc.

Thanks...

Sara

Back