Ignorance or bliss?

gouchobob said:
Glad to oblige, yes there were fewer people living in poverty in Argentina fifty years ago than today. This is the result of Argentina's economic decline over that period which I believe is continuing today even though the current economy is doing well(not sustainable in my opinion).

Here is an excerpt from a World Bank report.

The last several decades revealed another puzzle.
Inequality has increased persistently, resulting in rising
levels of poverty in the face of stagnant, albeit widely
fluctuating, average per capita output. Per capita GDP in
2004 was at about the same level as in 1974. Nevertheless,
poverty was much higher in 2004, reflecting an
increasingly unequal distribution of income. Remarkably,
the rise in inequality, and poverty, was observed in
periods of both growth and recession (See Figure 2).
Moreover, although Latin America has not been very
successful in reducing poverty and inequality, the recent
record of most countries in the region was better than
that of Argentina.

You can read the entire report in the link below.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTENBREVE/Newsletters/20843643/82-NOV05-AR_Growth.pdf

This is another propaganda piece from THE MAN WITH NO SHAME. 50 years ago Argentina had no immigration from PERU, PARAGUAY, BOLIVIA that brought in millions of poor people into Argentina in the last years .These people had no other country that would accept them in South America but Argentina and were poor before they came here and many are still poor now. This is not the governments nor the peoples fault but the reality of dealing will millions of millions of immigrants fom the poorest backgrounds of Latin America.

perry said:
This is another propaganda piece from THE MAN WITH NO SHAME. 50 years ago Argentina had no immigration from PERU, PARAGUAY, BOLIVIA that brought in millions of poor people into Argentina in the last years .THESE PEOPLE HAD NO OTHER COUNTRY THAT WOULD ACCEPT THEM IN SOUTH AMERICA BUT ARGENTINA AND WERE POOR BEFORE THEY CAME AND MANY ARE STILL POOR NOW . THIS IS NOT THE GOVERNMENTS NOR THE PEOPLES FAULT BUT THE REALITY OF DEALING WITH MILLIONS OF MILLIONS OF IMMIGRANTS FROM THE POOREST BACKGROUNDS OF LATIN AMERICA.

More nonsense, the facts speak for themselves. The problem is low growth the result of bad governments and bad policies including the current one.

Perry, seriously what does "shame" have to do with anything?

The article you post says in the second paragraph:
"However, Latin Business Chronicle also admits that the rating is not without controversy since many economists have doubts about “Argentina’s official INDEC statistics”, which are used by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to elaborate its data."

SaraSara said:
Please, Bajocero, I make every effort to take your posts seriously, but this last one sounds like something straight out of kindergarden school.

Why not just use the "sticking tongue out" smilie in the side panel? I mean this one:
:p...

:D Ok, ok, ok.

However I was serious, the US cannot be zero risk nowadays.

gouchobob said:
Glad to oblige, yes there were fewer people living in poverty in Argentina fifty years ago than today. This is the result of Argentina's economic decline over that period which I believe is continuing today even though the current economy is doing well(not sustainable in my opinion).

Sadly I agree that we have been getting poorer because we have more people and the same wealth to distribute. For this reason the target in this country is to grow in order to have more wealth to distribute. However, this process speeded up since last dictatorship government with the creation of the external debt.

Italians and spaniards who arrived to this country before and after WWII were extremely poor too.

Bajo_cero2 said:
Sadly I agree that we have been getting poorer because we have more people and the same wealth to distribute. For this reason the target in this country is to grow in order to have more wealth to distribute. However, this process speeded up since last dictatorship government with the creation of the external debt.

Italians and spaniards who arrived to this country before and after WWII were extremely poor too.
If you have the same wealth to distribute [although I don't get the choice of the word 'distribute"] and more people than you had 50 years ago then you have the perfect formula for "no real growth" AKA poverty. Wealth should be measured in "Wealth Created" and not "wealth distributed". Otherwise you have the same few people creating wealth and a government that redistributes wealth created by a smaller percentage. Thus when you have an economy that is a "one trick pony" [ie: Agro-econ] the dollar growth [not the real growth] is dictated by a market maker that is offshore. I have little doubt that commodity prices will continue to rise and the IMF numbers will once again say "Argentina Grew". Blah, blah, blah.
But it grew based on the exact same product mix that it exported to the world 100 years ago because nobody developed new technology or built new factories or developed marketable services that sold on world markets.
It's sad to see such potential wasted but you screwed yourselves. Sure Menem sold the uncompetitive national assets and borrowed heavily on the international markets. But something fails here. The borrowing part of the formula might have produced real growth if the funds were ever truly invested.....but alas they did the same old thing. They stole the funds, pocketed the future and ran off stage. There in lies the uniqueness of "This is Argentina".

Sure Menem sold the uncompetitive national assets and borrowed heavily on the international markets. But something fails here.

He sold the competitive ones (YPF, Aerolineas, ENTel). In fact, he gave them as gifts to foreign companies. Some of them he destroyed before so they could be sold cheap, some were sold cheap anyways. He destroyed the country, by orders of the IMF and the US. The method to evade a revolution was topeg the peso to the US dollar creating a false sense of welfare, until the money ran out, after all local industries were reduced or destroyed given the false exchange rate. Neocon economics (yes,Chicago) meant the death of many people in this country. We will never let them back in power, and we will maintain them very far from our Central Bank.

Sorry that you cannot understand this,maybe when the US finally falls you will get it.

Never more.

marksoc said:
He sold the competitive ones (YPF, Aerolineas, ENTel). In fact, he gave them as gifts to foreign companies. Some of them he destroyed before so they could be sold cheap, some were sold cheap anyways. He destroyed the country, by orders of the IMF and the US. The method to evade a revolution was topeg the peso to the US dollar creating a false sense of welfare, until the money ran out, after all local industries were reduced or destroyed given the false exchange rate. Neocon economics (yes,Chicago) meant the death of many people in this country. We will never let them back in power, and we will maintain them very far from our Central Bank.

Sorry that you cannot understand this,maybe when the US finally falls you will get it.

Never more.

Long on ideology, short on facts.

marksoc said:

Never more.
Sorry that you have such a superficial understanding of the matter. Enjoy the bliss.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pensador Expat Life 14
Brit_In_BA Expat Life 65
nlaruccia Expat Life 29
Back