Ignorance or bliss?

SaraSara said:
Of course the poor are the ones most affected by inflation: they have no reserves, no cushion to fall back upon when prices go out of sight.

Well, I disagree.
Poor people is getting 180 pesos per child. Poor people standard family has 4 children.
There is a new 100.000.000 people receiving jubilación.
There are free buses to go to Mercado Central where food is really cheap.
Unions struggle for poor hard hats salaries.

But middle class don´t go to Mercado Central becase this is not nice. So, they are paying huge overprices.
Middle class usually don´t belong to a union, so, as Mini was complaing, her salary is freeze.

Regards

citygirl said:
With all respect Pericles,
1) Questioning someone's points when they are a little hard to follow isn't having a hidden agenda. I am fairly well-versed in economic theory and I'm struggling to understand some of the discussions - be it because of language confusion or subject confusion, I'm not sure.

2) We're discussing inflation in Argentina. Not the wars in other countries. One has NOTHING to do with the other.

3) For many of us who are business owners or managers, who have invested resources in this country, we have a serious interest in how the economy will do. So unlike some people's assertion that we're just sitting around, rubbing our hands with glee and hoping the economy crashes, we're actually trying to do things to improve it. And yes, it is a concern to us.

4) Come on - are we not allowed to call something bullshit when it looks like it, smells like it and feels like it? The INDEC numbers are a joke, inflation does affect all classes of people and it is becoming more and more of a serious issue. And despite assertions to the contrary on this, you can't just "keep raising prices and passing it on to your customers" indefinitely.

Citygirl I agree that the inflation is too high and a problem and one that it is unreported .

I was referring to the economy and the articles many post here that Argentina will default , crash, the peso will be 6 to one by 2007,2008, 2009 ,2010 etc etc etc . When some try to support the government they are labeled Kircherites or Peronists when nothing is further from the truth .

In regards to corruption and I am not denying corruption in Argentina but I like to understand the context and compare to other societies who love to label Argentina as being very corrupt when their own society by my definitions and many open minded people are far more corrupt than ours. The corruption of war is the ultimate corruption and affects us all on this beautiful planet . Wars in IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN, YEMEN and others have created trillions of dollars lost for what I may ask? Over a million deaths and a world economy destroyed are some of the effects of these shocking wars

ONCE AGAIN ARGENTINA IS PART OF THE WORLD AND WARS AND ECONOMIC CRASHES BE IN IN EUROPE , USA AND ASIA ALL HAVE A EFFECT ON OUR LIVES............................................

citygirl said:
3) For many of us who are business owners or managers, who have invested resources in this country, we have a serious interest in how the economy will do. So unlike some people's assertion that we're just sitting around, rubbing our hands with glee and hoping the economy crashes, we're actually trying to do things to improve it. And yes, it is a concern to us.

Economy is not going to crash. We are isolated from the credit markets and this has protected us from the world wide crisis.
The year before elections is always like this. Just try to survive to make good profits later or close your busisness and start a new one more profitable or start playing la bicicleta financiera.

citygirl said:
4) Come on - are we not allowed to call something bullshit when it looks like it, smells like it and feels like it? The INDEC numbers are a joke, inflation does affect all classes of people and it is becoming more and more of a serious issue. And despite assertions to the contrary on this, you can't just "keep raising prices and passing it on to your customers" indefinitely.

Touché, you are begginig to understand. As I explained, we have inflation since 1949 to 1973 nontop. So, you have to become more efficient in order to have better profits.
When you make numbers, you have to take in consideration the PPP ration. Por puta pasare. All the argentinians accountants do it.

Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
There is a new 100.000.000 people receiving jubilación.
Regards

Well, that's really amazing, considering Argentina's population was only forty million in 2009. Either the new census revealed some really astounding jump in population numbers, or 60 million of those getting "jubilacion" live somewhere else...;)

But you are right in that those in unions negotiate cost of living adjustments. However, not all the poor are unionized.

As for the 180 pesos per child monthly allowance, I doubt it is enough to feed and dress a child.

SaraSara said:
Well, that's really amazing, considering Argentina's population was only forty million in 2009. Either the new census revealed some really astounding jump in population numbers, or 60 million of those getting "jubilacion" live somewhere else...;)

But you are right in that those in unions negotiate cost of living adjustments. However, not all the poor are unionized.

As for the 180 pesos per child monthly allowance, I doubt it is enough to feed and dress a child.

40 millions we were in last census not in 2009, it means 10 years ago.

You don´t understand how working law works. Unions negociate but the deals they get are enforzable to workers who works in negro too, it means, those who aren´t unionized.

You mean 180 pesos extra, they have their salary too. Well, you don´t understand that here children uses their biger brothers clothes. So, they buy clothes only when they need it, this is not a crazy consummig society like the US. And they buy at La Salada, the real market where jeans cost 30 pesos instead of 200.
This is the official website:
http://www.mercadolasalada.com/
Prices there are lower for sure.

Regards

I haven't posted much on this topic as the discussion seems rather pointless. People write in make good arguments why the governments policy doesn't make sense. Supporters of the government write back saying it isn't so. Same arguments that have gone on in Argentina for decades. Fifty years from now the same arguments will still be going on. By that time Argentina is one of the poorest countries in South America. It is surrounded by countries that are all doing much better which have followed other ways forward. In Argentina this is all blamed on outside forces. Nothing has changed except the people are worse off than ever.

Bajo_cero2 said:
40 millions we were in last census not in 2009, it means 10 years ago.

The last census showed there were 36 million Argentines. 40 million is the ESTIMATED 2009 population.

Check your figures, or just keep making up your own. Have fun....!

gouchobob said:
I haven't posted much on this topic as the discussion seems rather pointless. People write in make good arguments why the governments policy doesn't make sense. Supporters of the government write back saying it isn't so. Same arguments that have gone on in Argentina for decades. Fifty years from now the same arguments will still be going on. By that time Argentina is one of the poorest countries in South America. It is surrounded by countries that are all doing much better which have followed other ways forward. In Argentina this is all blamed on outside forces. Nothing has changed except the people are worse off than ever.

Does your propaganda ever stop? Your information is completely false and is lying with intent!!!!

Argentina has the highest GDP per capita of all South America with th best purchasing power . In 2009 it had replaced Chile in being the richest country per capita with US $ 14,651 per capita. Minimum wages are the highest in Argentina by a country mile if compared to any country in Latin America.

http://en.mercopress.com/2010/05/05/argentina-with-the-highest-gdp-per-capita-ppp-in-2009

Argentina replaced Chile, which was ranked as the richest the previous analysis. Argentina’s GDP per capita based on purchasing power parity (PPP) in international dollars reached 14.561 US dollars, which represents a 1.1% increase over 2008 while Chile managed second best with 14.341 US dollars following a 1.7% drop.
However, Latin Business Chronicle also admits that the rating is not without controversy since many economists have doubts about “Argentina’s official INDEC statistics”, which are used by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to elaborate its data.
Mexico figures third with a GDP per capita purchasing power parity of 13.628 US dollars, a fall of 6.2% compared to 2008.
Uruguay meantime replaced Venezuela as the fourth richest per capita country in the region. Uruguay’s GDP per capita purchasing power parity increased 3.7% to 13.163 US dollars while Venezuela dropped 4.1% to 12.201 US dollars.
Panama figures sixth, with 11.788 US dollars, up 1.8%. In Central America, Costa Rica remains as the richest nation in the region with 10.579 US dollars down 1.8% compared to 2008.

In regards to Perry's point regarding Chile versus Argentina. Even in his quote the numbers comparing Chile and Argentina are questioned due to the source which is Indec.

Actual GDP per capita growth from 1969 to now is as follows:

Argentina 10.55% almost stagnant and well below world averages.
Chile 108.31% strong growth and about double world average.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pensador Expat Life 14
Brit_In_BA Expat Life 65
nlaruccia Expat Life 29
Back