Ignorance?

I did prep school in the UK at the time of the Malvinas war...I can talk about horror discriminatory stories. Ignorance is part of humanity everywhere, However countries that have a lot of resources to be more self educated, at times are not:)
I can certainly believe this. You wouldn't believe some of the shit my girlfriend was taught by her xenophobic history teacher. Apparently the British are to blame for just about every problem under the sun

Can't say I'm surprised by your experience. I try to keep an open mind but what you've experienced seems fairly typical.

The Argentines that I have met that have lived in the west have not done very well and have not enjoyed it. They didn't understand that when your employer says that work starts at 9 am, that means 9 am.

My own perhaps biased view is that Argentinians lack the "hustle" Americans have. Which makes sense based on their country and culture. In the US we cling to the idea that if you work hard, you will be rewarded. Here, there seems to be zero economic mobility and pay is generally terrible. So why bother?

mmmm Argentines dont't hate anyone, if it were like that, we wouldnt be a country open to immigration. The argentines only felt hurt because the territory was ours, England insists, the military argentinean at power took very young men to´the war to die (no more than 21 years old) knowing we were going to lose it, and it hurt that our chilean brothers betrayed us.(not the people, government).. I see more hatred towards our country than from argentines to the outside... in fact I insist, it is a country open to the world (that is not done by any nation almost and even so it is insulted). PS: the majority of the chilean and argentinean people are actually brothers because we live in common tyrannical military governments at the 1970s

Patricia I respect you opinions , we all have a right to express them... However I don't agree with your viewpoints ... you seem to generalize quite often..
I would agree if you say Some Argentinians don't hate anyone? very true..!

And your statement ...".I insist, generalizing is immature".is just " a disqualification" :rolleyes:

mmmm Argentines dont't hate anyone, if it were like that, we wouldnt be a country open to immigration. The argentines only felt hurt because the territory was ours, England insists, the military argentinean at power took very young men to´the war to die (no more than 21 years old) knowing we were going to lose it, and it hurt that our chilean brothers betrayed us.(not the people, government).. I see more hatred towards our country than from argentines to the outside... in fact I insist, it is a country open to the world (that is not done by any nation almost and even so it is insulted). PS: the majority of the chilean and argentinean people are actually brothers because we live in common tyrannical military governments at the 1970s

...I insist, generalizing is immature.

Generalizing is wrong for sure but I don't think you can deny that the anti English sentiment here is prevelant.
Patricia I respect you opinions , we all have a right to express them... However I don't agree with your viewpoints ... you seem to generalize quite often..
I would agree if you say Some Argentinians don't hate anyone? very true..!

And your statement ...".I insist, generalizing is immature".is just " a disqualification" :rolleyes:
Exactly this. To say argentinians don't hate anyone is complete nonsense. To deny there is a pretty large anti english sentiment here, you must have your head in the sand. Ignoring the problem

Generally speaking Europeans are more educated about the world than lets say Americans ( It is very common for Americans to think that Argentina is part of Brazil ). In spite of having lots of Irish, Welsh and Scottish descendants, most people associate the UK with England only. Due to past history ( English invasions, Malvinas, etc ) I guess it is hard for people to understand they are also part of the UK. Argentine people really love Irish, Scots and Welsh. About England there are mixed feelings. We all agree here that English rock and pop bands are the best though :)

What do Americans have to do with the topic? It's about Argentine reactions to the English. I actually doubt that most Argentines could name the regions that belong to the United Kingdom. I suspect few have any idea that Northern Ireland is part of the UK. And I've met Argentines who think Canada is part of the United States!

And I've met Argentines who think Canada is part of the United States!

It is not uncommon for US Americans to think Belgium is part of France, let alone they can tell the 3 official languages or where it is located on the map.

Likewise, I doubt many Europeans can tell the difference between Uruguay or Paraguay and if they know these countries exist, then only because they have heard from them in football.

Ignorance is everywhere.

Argentina has changed last years because people came here from all over places, people educated and not educated and they have children here -now argentineans- (it is is a free entry country -is one of the few countries with easy acces, and therefore multicultural now, for employment and health opportunities and for its original open and modern culture-, and that's why there has been a lot of immigration in the last 20 years that are more ignorant or maybe aggressive culture, and that's more in Buenos Aires (all innmigrants came here). The original culture of the Argentinean, is polite and educated (original natives or children and grandchildren of Europeans and their mixture...who are working and educated people). Of course there are educated immigrants, but being a country without obstacles to immigration,came people also without education, and that is inherited in their children. Anyway the problem of aggression and ignorance is worldwide, the people of first world countries are also very disrespectful and less and less reading (they also build myths about the people of latin america that are false: for example, that women are all submissive; false, more and more educated women, with professions, especially in Brazil and Argentina.

you live here?, it's not funny you make fun of our culture...aggression and ignorance there are also in the Europeans, american people (from United States, and other regions)PS: americans is the people of all the continent by the way...the U.S. seeks to expropriate us also from our geographic location.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

While living in the USA, many people asked me if Buenos Aires was in Brazil and if in Argentina we spoke Portuguese.

What do Americans have to do with the topic? It's about Argentine reactions to the English. I actually doubt that most Argentines could name the regions that belong to the United Kingdom. I suspect few have any idea that Northern Ireland is part of the UK. And I've met Argentines who think Canada is part of the United States!
It is not uncommon for US Americans to think Belgium is part of France, let alone they can tell the 3 official languages or where it is located on the map.

Likewise, I doubt many Europeans can tell the difference between Uruguay or Paraguay and if they know these countries exist, then only because they have heard from them in football.

Ignorance is everywhere.
Indeed, ignorance is everywhere, including my own when it comes to Asia.

A couple of years ago when we were going to take a British Isles cruise with some Argentine friends, I had to explain to them that Northern Ireland is part of the UK and that the Republic of Ireland is a separate country. I also had to inform them about the different currencies used.

A Chilean friend was complaining that Americans didn't know who the president of Chile was. I asked him if he knew who the the president of the Dominican Republic was, and he stopped complaining.

Some Argentine friends just got back from the US and they said some Americans thought Argentina was in the Caribbean.

We're all a bunch of ignorant dumbasses.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pensador Expat Life 14
nlaruccia Expat Life 29
J Expat Life 157
Back