Ignorance?

Indeed, ignorance is everywhere, including my own when it comes to Asia.

A couple of years ago when we were going to take a British Isles cruise with some Argentine friends, I had to explain to them that Northern Ireland is part of the UK and that the Republic of Ireland is a separate country. I also had to inform them about the different currencies used.

A Chilean friend was complaining that Americans didn't know who the president of Chile was. I asked him if he knew who the the president of the Dominican Republic was, and he stopped complaining.

Some Argentine friends just got back from the US and they said some Americans thought Argentina was in the Caribbean.

We're all a bunch of ignorant dumbasses.

How many Argentines know who the PM of Canada is? How many could tell you what languages are spoken in Canada?

I'm a yank and better educated and informed than most Americans (I DID NOT vote for Trump) and I can not keep it all straight. There's England, and the United Kingdom, and Great Britain, and the British Isles, and the Commonwealth of Nations. Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland are somehow related to one or more of those but I am not sure how. I am pretty sure that whatever Queen Elizabeth is queen of includes Scotland. And yet I think I have heard that Scotland seems to think that it can remain in the EU while England (or the UK or whatever) leaves. I have been to London and love it. I have reverence for the Magna Carta and love the BBC. I have often booked up on the relationship between England and its family of additional geopolitical pieces but over time it fades.
But I don't think I understand your complaint. Was the guy ignorant because he should have said "we don't like the citizens of the United Kingdom"? (If you are British does that mean that you are a citizen of Great Britain or the UK?) Or was he ignorant because he held the English responsible for the actions of the entire UK? I don't think the English can escape responsibility for the actions of the UK anymore than I'd argue that Floridians can escape responsibility for the actions of the US.

None of us are responsible for the complexity of our history but I don't think that we can expect the rest of the world to understand it.

Bob
Generally speaking Europeans are more educated about the world than lets say Americans ( It is very common for Americans to think that Argentina is part of Brazil ). In spite of having lots of Irish, Welsh and Scottish descendants, most people associate the UK with England only. Due to past history ( English invasions, Malvinas, etc ) I guess it is hard for people to understand they are also part of the UK. Argentine people really love Irish, Scots and Welsh. About England there are mixed feelings. We all agree here that English rock and pop bands are the best though :)

It is not pass by argentineans cause these lands is considered ours (it is in geographical terms of territories over seas despite the war result) In relation of what you say, I agree....it depends of the level of studies of the person....some people from the United States or some European countries associate Brazil and Argentina (people that didnt study history). I take this opportunity to divulge that Argentina is not part of Brazil, neither in geographical, cultural or historical terms. Brazil was founded by the Portuguese colonization and Argentina by the Spanish colonization. The independence of both countries were totally different processes, San Martin liberated South America (he was an argentinean), not Brazil that continued other processes for it independence. In terms of market, we exchange inputs and auto parts although production is higher in Brazil. We are brother countries, we understand Portuguese and Spanish because they are both Latin languages but we are different origins and cultural forms.

My own perhaps biased view is that Argentinians lack the "hustle" Americans have. Which makes sense based on their country and culture. In the US we cling to the idea that if you work hard, you will be rewarded. Here, there seems to be zero economic mobility and pay is generally terrible. So why bother?
that post shows a lot of stereotype, it's subjective, not objective. Argentineans borned since last century and till 1970 decade has work culture. Now there is a lot inmigrants fromo all over the places, so, is multicultural country

I can certainly believe this. You wouldn't believe some of the shit my girlfriend was taught by her xenophobic history teacher. Apparently the British are to blame for just about every problem under the sun

I agree with this. My son was taught some simply inaccurate things about the Falklands War and as we are discussing how well educated Argentines would know that, for example, Argentina lost the war (after studying this subject my son had no idea this was the case). I won't name his school, but it is a well respected private school that is highly sought after. Aside from this, I have watched my son in this education system for 10 years and frankly I think schooling here is terrible. Far below the quality of education I received in public school in the UK.

On the general subject, I have said before that Argentina is among the most casually racist/xenophobic out of over 40 countries I have visited). Easy and quick example, where are the minorities on TV? However, I think most people here are arguing about a lack of geography knowledge (which is education-based and happens everywhere), not cultural ignorance.

I can certainly believe this. You wouldn't believe some of the shit my girlfriend was taught by her xenophobic history teacher. Apparently the British are to blame for just about every problem under the sun
not to blame but there is obviously ignorance everywhere, not only in BA. BTW I lived there so I am not basing myself of opinions.

I am an English guy who has been here for a while. Once I was in a conversation with two Argentinian men with my Scottish friend. When he told them he was Scottish, no problem. When I told them I was English, the response was "ah, we don't like the English" (of course because of the war). Was it just these two dumbasses that don't understand it was the whole of the UNITED KINGDOM vs Argentina, or is that the general consensus in the country? Because at least four other people I have spoken to struggle to understand the difference between England and the United Kingdom. Ignorance really frustrates me but even more so when it involves hate directed at me. Three times now I have experienced negativity towards me/my country in Argentina, disappointing.

(Edit) I know this country is full of kind and lovely people, they are everywhere. But unfortunately the population of assholes seems to be more prevalent here than the 20 odd other countries I have visited

The other 20 countries didn’t have a recent war with Scotland ;)...

In modern times, people have a habit of getting over wars, particularly stupid ones. By the late 60's, JFK was getting a hero's welcome in Berlin, same for the Japanese and the US; by the 1990's the US and Vietnam had resumed full relations; etc. But not here, because of course not.

The Falklands War was about the stupidest a war could get. Britain was shedding colonies and territories by the dozen, the Falklanders did not have full British citizenship, and it was widely seen as a matter of time before the Falklands passed to Argentine control.

The war was started by a failing government, now widely reviled, in an attempt to shore up domestic support. They managed to fail even at this, even with the UK on the other side of the world and the US regarding a British victory as "militarily impossible". They literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

It is highly ironic that the people who protest the most against that government, and never tire of tarring their purported successors with the "genocidal" and "Nazi" brush, seem to regard this absurd war as the one good thing they did. For the same reason, by the way: trying to score cheap political points, devoid of any substance.

No sentiment that the Falklands conflict was a ridiculous idea, poorly executed, which pretty much put the brakes on the Falkland being Argentine for at least a generation.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pensador Expat Life 14
nlaruccia Expat Life 29
J Expat Life 157
Back