I'm Rehoming A Rottweiler

You are attempting to inject your human values into a dog. Who happens to be doing what comes naturally to a dog. Please "rehome" him before he becomes neurotic.

Dogs are not necessarily killers, but cats always are.

Dogs are not necessarily killers, but cats always are.
Did you ever watch your little tabby furball torturing the hell out of mouse [for hrs] before he finally terminates it. On the other hand my very merciful bowser just gives tabby one quick shake and the job is done. It makes me cringe but it's his genetic code at work.

Did you ever watch your little tabby furball torturing the hell out of mouse [for hrs] before he finally terminates it. On the other hand my very merciful bowser just gives tabby one quick shake and the job is done. It makes me cringe but it's his genetic code at work.

Dogs are trainable domestic animals, though their genetic makeup varies. My malamute would chase cats, but he is unlikely to hurt them.

Cats, however, are invariably feral killers.

That's called playing and it is not observed in wild animals, just in home cats or cats who have access to regular food supply. They won't necessarily eat the thing after they have "tortured" it for hours. They can very well leave it behind.
Playing is done to keep the hunting skills intact even when there is no actual need to kill for food. Or you can see puppies play "to kill" to exercise their skills, to measure their strength, to understand where they are most vulnerable, etc. This is valid for any puppy animal.

Besides, I am not sure what happens when a dog kills a cat: does it leave the cat's body behind or does the dog actually eat the cat? I am talking about a home dog, not a stray.

That's called playing and it is not observed in wild animals, just in home cats or cats who have access to regular food supply. They won't necessarily eat the thing after they have "tortured" it for hours. They can very well leave it behind.

Cats kill for the sake of killing, and the most frequent victims are birds. The death toll is almost incomprehensible: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cats-kill-more-one-billion-birds-each-year

Ghost, in case you missed it, I was talking about the people joking about killing cats being less than amusing and creepy, not the dog.

And FWIW, killing is not something that well-trained dogs should do as far as I'm concerned. I have multiple mastiffs here. And street dogs. Along with 6+ barn cats. They all co-exist with equanimity. We have raised them all from puppies.

Unfortunately this dog is not a fit and while I don't blame him for not receiving training at an earlier age, he also needs to go to a home where he will be a better fit. Which as a I said, is a home with no other animals and an owner experienced in handling big dogs.

Anyway, this is rather tangential and again, if anyone is interested, please let me know. Thanks.

I find more unnatural an animal that doesn't kill than one that does.

Back