Immigration visa TO the U.S. for an Argentine?

mariefer said:
Why would you prefer to deal with an impossible work visa or pay tons in tuition instead of marring the poor girl who is willing to follow you? Just get a divorce if things don't work out!

Wow I take it you've never been divorced, nor known anyone who got a divorced? It's a serious legal business to get a divorce -- especially when you're talking about people from different countries, and a right pain in the butt. In Argentina you can't even get the divorce until you've been separated officially for I believe 2 years.

My sister married the wrong guy a few years ago. He was South African, she's Canadian. She married him in SA, 5 days after the ceremony she had to go back to Canada for work. Over the following months (fortunately while he was still in South Africa) it became evident the relationship was not going to work -- she filed for divorce 6 mos after the marriage. Even though it could be argued it was only a 5 day marriage it cost her thousands of dollars in legal fees and 2.5 years before the divorce papers finally came through. They didn't even have kids or finances in common, so I can't imagine the headaches that would have been involved if he had actually been living under her roof -- she would have ended up paying alimony for years and years.

Sorry but anyone that has the attitude "oh you can just get a divorce" should probably never marry -- unless you want a mountain of trouble after. Prenups aren't recognised in Argentina by the way, you marry someone, say goodbye to 50% if it doesn't work out.

I don´t personally have experience with this but a friend of mine in the US married an Argentine girl just last month. It is easier to get married there after getting a fiancee visa here.

Migra laws change every day in the usa, like i said spend a little money and consult with a pro in the area, otherwise u will be in deep trouble.

I think my situation here is similar wherein me and my wife in Philippines want to move to US. we recently applied to a Global Visas service provider and hopefully it will be approved. work visa to be certain.

I've heard that the fiancee visa is the best in this kind of situation (I think it gives you a year). Unfortunately law is one of those areas that pretty much renders you unemployable in most other countries unless you are prepared to start your studies from scratch. When we were looking into US work visas, there is a list (you should be able to find it online) of professions that can apply. I think nurses, IT professionals, engineers (certain specialties) are on that list... but there's only about 10-15 professions. I was told that out of those who meet the requirements AND have a willing company sponsor, less than 50% are successful.
The partner of a friend of mine was recently denied a work visa to the states (on the grounds that he had "nothing to come back to"...job, a lot of money, children etc, in Argentina, so was more likely to outstay his welcome in the US). Another friend of mine went back to the states to do a PHD, married her Argentine partner and they didn't seem to have any problems.
It seems like a work visa is pretty risky in this kind of situation.

Tourist visas aren't that easy to get for the average Argentine, so I can only imagine the difficulty of getting a work visa. And with the economy the way it is, she might have a difficult time finding a job with only an Argentine law degree. I've heard stories of US law graduates working in Starbucks.

You could give it a shot, but my advice would be to just date for now and travel on a tourist visa, especially if you're not sure you want to marry. When you do decide to get married it should be easier.

Godiva. said:
Tourist visas aren't that easy to get for the average Argentine.
Really? Pretty much all of my argentine friends have visited the states as tourists. Most said the visa process was relatively simple.

I have been told by young friends (20's) that it is easier to get the visa now.....The US needs CASH from foreigners so I would not be surprised if the embassies have been given a directive to ëase up a bit on the restrictions. After all, there really are no jobs in the US to stay for really. Many illegals are even returning home (mainly mexicans).

It's a myth that the U.S. tourist visa is difficult to get. The US Embassy in Buenos Aires approves ~90% of visa applications per year. The requirements haven't been relaxed either; Argentines are just more financially capable now than they were 10-years-ago to prove to consular officers that they won't use the tourist visa to live illegally in the U.S.

Rease said:
I don´t personally have experience with this but a friend of mine in the US married an Argentine girl just last month. It is easier to get married there after getting a fiancee visa here.

Correct. But, even better, have her come on a tourist visa and just do everything in the US. In the US divorce is much easier I guess than Argentina. And, pretty cheap. I think you can do it for just a couple hundred bucks, maybe less. Although, hopefully you will be married happily ever after and won't even need to consider any of this divorce stuff. Good luck.

Back