Immigration visa TO the U.S. for an Argentine?

sab15 said:
Correct. But, even better, have her come on a tourist visa and just do everything in the US. In the US divorce is much easier I guess than Argentina. And, pretty cheap. I think you can do it for just a couple hundred bucks, maybe less. Although, hopefully you will be married happily ever after and won't even need to consider any of this divorce stuff. Good luck.

This is really, really bad advice. Intentionally marrying on a tourist visa is against the rules, and the non-U.S. national would more than likely have to return home and actually play by the rules. Google the topic some more if you'd like...

Just wanted to give an update to this thread... just today my Argentine boyfriend was approved for a tourist visa to go for a visit to the States at Christmas and it was much easier than anticipated. After hearing all sorts of scary stories about what to say/what not to say, he opted for the truth and said "I'm going with my American girlfriend to visit her family for Christmas"... no problems, visa approved.

Also very true about what bradlyhale said above; the guy who interviewed my bf today made it very clear that if we ever do decide to get married, he will have to apply for a fiance visa; getting married on a tourist visa is a clear violation of the policies.

US Immigration will probably turn down a tourist visa if they know that she intends to look for any type of work (pursue a work visa in the USA).

RobinsonGO said:
How is the work coming for you Sam??

Thank you everyone for all your input.:) At this point we have procured her tourist visa and will be visiting the US in December to see how she likes it. If all goes well I will probably end up applying for the K-1 (Fiancee) visa. That visa allows her up to 6 months in the country in which you have time to become legally married and obtain a work permit. I'm not sure what the wait times are for the K-1 but I would like to be back before July to avoid having two back-to-back winters!

Now getting married in a church in front of my family is another step :eek:

bradlyhale said:
This is really, really bad advice. Intentionally marrying on a tourist visa is against the rules, and the non-U.S. national would more than likely have to return home and actually play by the rules. Google the topic some more if you'd like...

Oh, sorry. I was speaking from my experience. I didn't realize Argentina had different rules. Years ago I married my South African girlfriend. I don't remember ever getting a fiancee visa. I guess the rules are different for each country. It was all honest though. We loved each other and were married for several years.

Update:

We visited the states in December which went amazing. Family loves her, she likes it (minus the arctic winters). Applied for a K-1 Fiancee visa and hopefully should be in the states before the end of summer (back to back winters are no fun)!

StuckLikeGlue said:
Also very true about what bradlyhale said above; the guy who interviewed my bf today made it very clear that if we ever do decide to get married, he will have to apply for a fiance visa; getting married on a tourist visa is a clear violation of the policies.

Not totally true. If you are married in the US while one of you is a citizen and the other has a tourist visa it is legal UNLESS you plan on residing full time in the US. I contacted the State Department before my husband (Argentine) and I got married June 2010. They made it clear that it was perfectly fine to get married in the US even though he only has a tourist visa, the issue would be if he stayed in the country. We have to be married for 2 years before we can file our paperwork in order to return to live in the US and so that he can work there right away.
My advice to you would be to get in touch with an immigration attorney in the US.
Best of luck!

bradlyhale said:

I'm still in the states and met with a family friend who just so happens to be an immigration lawyer and I asked her about my fiancee coming to the US on a tourist visa. She told me that while it its frowned upon, the government does understand that people don't want to be separated for a year.

My brother and his wife did this as well as my aunt and uncle. So don't worry too much about it!!

Back