In Slate: Dollar Delivery Service

Montauk_Project

Registered
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/roads/2014/02/argentina_s_black_market_for_hard_cash_buenos_aires_deliverymen_will_bring.html

I know she was asking for interviews on this forum.

Kind of reminds me of a man who had a sign advertising "magic brownies" in the San Telmo Street Fair. In newspaper next day:
"man arrested for selling marijuana brownies in San Telmo Street Fair".

Continuing with the enduring Slate tradition of foregoing fact-checking:

In Argentina, more currency gets exchanged on the black market than through official channels, since the government places tight restrictions on trading dollars and euros.

A little bit of research would have shown that while the gov't claims the Blue is less than 5% of the total Forex market, private estimates, such as the Di Tella institute put it as high as 10%. This of course is over 50% once it gets translated into beltway-ese, given that it's Latin America and you can just make up any necessary facts to fit the accepted narrative.

Then again, seeing how the author did her research on this very site, it does reflect the way this forum has consistently over-emphasised the Blue rate and thus totally misunderstood the devaluation.

Why do I imagine sleslie23 waiting at the Starbacks with a bat in his hand, waiting for a German on a bicycle?!? :D

Back