Incredibly High Import Fees

Rescueme

Registered
I recently had a package sent to me from the USA that contained a book, some mail and a 2 dollar pen. You know how much they wanted in taxes for the 2 dollars? 92 pesos. This is without them opening the box. Needless to say I will not be reading the book inside the box.

Does anyone else have stories like this? Just curious as to how they justify these high import fees? I was told that books are not taxed. Are there other things that are not taxed?

DL

From my experience it is hit and miss. I've had really good luck with Express Mail through the USPS in the past. However, this last week I had to pay 150 pesos to get my package. I always have the sender in the US put gift on the customs form with a declared value of $25USD. I've even gotten lucky getting electronics through, but this last week my dogs medication got flagged. Go figure.

Importing anything is risky unless you have "contacts" who can safeguard its passage.

Best to bring it in in person, or get someone to mule it for you. Residents can bring in $300USD of brand new goods into the country, just make sure you keep receipts if items are clearly new. There's no duty on used items, but it can be a judgement call on whether something is new or used.

I have also used, Express Mail International with the USPS...marking the items as gifts..is key...but not 100% ....the last box I had to pay duty as well...think it was getting popular and someone figured out the system. The only good thing about it is it will come to your home...don't have to go downtown...

Best of luck and if anyone has any sure fire ways to get boxes here...please post the information.

I will be doing another box soon...and unless I hear of another way will do what I have always done...just make the box under 10 pounds....if it makes a difference who knows??

I had to pay 35 pesos for 4 boxes of Mac'N'Cheese that someone sent as a gift. The duty fee was completely arbitrary as there was no value declared on the package. go figure.

In most countries in S.A. there are very high import taxes, Argentina is no exception. I believe the thinking is high import taxes protect local industries. I don't think this has ever worked but it continues, my guess is the politicians don't what to give up the money. What this has produced and Argentina is a good example are local industries which generally produce lower quality goods at high prices, they survive because the taxes basically act as a subsidy by keeping the cost of imported goods very high. Many economists believe that situation is one of the major reasons that economic development has been so difficult on the continent.

Popper said:
I had to pay 35 pesos for 4 boxes of Mac'N'Cheese that someone sent as a gift. The duty fee was completely arbitrary as there was no value declared on the package. go figure.

I wonder how the figure out what they charge. 92 pesos for a plastic writing pen that they could not even see. Was the Mac'N'Cheese worth the extra 35 pesos? They will have to throw me in jail before I pay $30 for a Bic.

DL

gouchobob said:
In most countries in S.A. there are very high import taxes, Argentina is no exception. I believe the thinking is high import taxes protect local industries. I don't think this has ever worked but it continues, my guess is the politicians don't what to give up the money. What this has produced and Argentina is a good example are local industries which generally produce lower quality goods at high prices, they survive because the taxes basically act as a subsidy by keeping the cost of imported goods very high. Many economists believe that situation is one of the major reasons that economic development has been so difficult on the continent.

It does not seem that this sort of policy has created many jobs here in Argentina and does more to keep prices higher than they need to be.

I have to agree with you about the price and quality of goods produced here. We have bought a new water heater and washer here that we have had problems. We bought the warranty for these items but when no one answers the phone it makes the warranty pretty worthless.

It is terrible what this policy is doing to the people that can afford it the least.

RescueMe said:
I wonder how the figure out what they charge. 92 pesos for a plastic writing pen that they could not even see. Was the Mac'N'Cheese worth the extra 35 pesos? They will have to throw me in jail before I pay $30 for a Bic.

DL

Ha - I have no idea how they figured the duty fee. I waited until the very last day to even pick it up. I knew what was in it but didn't know how much fun (read: frustration) would be involved.

Back