India, Brazil, And South Africa Want Argentina To Join Brics

As far as Argentina being invited into ANYTHING that would strengthen regional ties - ARE THE BRASILIANS NUTS?

What makes them think Argentina would stick to any agreement of the sort? As was mentioned previously, look what they've done to the Mercosur! And any of the other countries just have to read a little bit of recent history to know the same thing. Geez...

In some ways we are. There is this belief that if we are kind enough to them, friendly enough to them, if we overwhelm them with kindness and solidarity, they will see the error of their ways and change. Of course it is a stupid line of thought, but one that permeates the current administration.

In some ways we are. There is this belief that if we are kind enough to them, friendly enough to them, if we overwhelm them with kindness and solidarity, they will see the error of their ways and change. Of course it is a stupid line of thought, but one that permeates the current administration.
Camberlieu, can you at least find common cause with Pink Possum and Argentina's fight against Neocolonialism directed by their repugnant neoliberal corporate overlords? After all Brazil itself was once a victim of colonialism and still suffers from its aftermath. Can Brazil and Argentina join hands and hearts over Las Malvinas as a gesture of regional solidarity?

Camberlieu, can you at least find common cause with Pink Possum and Argentina's fight against Neocolonialism directed by their repugnant neoliberal corporate overlords? After all Brazil itself was once a victim of colonialism and still suffers from its aftermath. Can Brazil and Argentina join hands and hearts over Las Malvinas as a gesture of regional solidarity?

Brazil has long said, "We're with you all the way, Argentina. Good luck!"

Me personally? Nope. I don't blame any of Brazil's ills on the "neo-liberal overlords".
The current Dilma/Lula administration? Absolutely.

Reactions: Joe
I know nothing about Campora, and Galtieri is burning in hell with Margaret Thatcher,
PinkishPossum are you out of your mind Galtieri and Thatcher in the same tone in the same hell. In the same sentence????

Maybe this is simply an issue of being a good guest (in this case a good guest of Argentina)

We know that Pink Possum is disgusted with the rude and rowdy behaviour in this forum, viz: in this greeting to a new member

Hello, and welcome! I'm glad you found us.

In all fairness, I must warn you that while most of us are friendly enough, there are a few people here, like Joe, who can be very rude. Just ignore them and don't let it bother you, please.
emphasis mine and text slightly modified to reveal author's subconscious thought

As a good guest of Argentina, you need to accept their view or at the very least say nothing at all, if you are contrary.

It's like going to a party and making insulting comments about the tastelessness of Argentina food.

A proper lady or gentleman would simply NOT engage in such boorish behaviour.

PinkishPossum are you out of your mind Galtieri and Thatcher in the same tone in the same hell. In the same sentence????

Galtieri was a vicious alcoholic dictator who mounted an invasion to try to stay in office for a few more weeks. Thatcher was a vicious Tory who, in this case, did the right thing for the wrong reasons (one of which was her own political survival).

They had an agreement to share the oil gas stuff until Nestor tore it up. The Falklanders have every right to extract the oil if they want. Just like Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina are doing in their waters.

The Militarization campaign is a joke, they have 4 euro fighters and 1 big ship that are only there for defence. In the case of war it wouldn't matter the location of the nuclear sub. It could launch the missiles anywhere if needed. As Pauper said a nuclear sub is very different from a nuclear armed sub. Brazil has a nuclear sub in the works. Argentina wants to refit a 35 year old rust bucket to make a nuclear sub.

The South Atlantic around the Falklands is very heavily managed and from 1990 - 2005 they were co-operating in managing the fish populations when again Nestor decided it would be politically benificial for him to raise the nationalistic shite about the Falklands again. Currently The Falklands waters are managed and Argentina's are a mess.

You desperately need to look more into the history of the Falklands. Nobody had their property stripped or were expelled in 1833.
How are the current Falklanders, many of whom can trace their family history to the islands further back than a lot of the Italians, Spaniards, Germans etc who came and populated Argentina, less entitled to control their future than the Brits who created Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc?

Timmerman ran away when he had the opportunity to talk to the Foreign Secretary in the UK. He refused to talk to the elected officials of the Falkland Islands. Do they not get Human Rights like the rest of the world? Should their future be decided by others?

In the early 2000's Blair tried to decide the future of Gibraltar without consulting the locals. Their politicians were quite unhappy and quickly held a referendum to scupper any deal being done behind their backs.

The 60s/70s were a different era. People's rights have changed a little (maybe not for the poor people of Ukraine at the moment.) The UK was in talks with Argentina, if they hadn't invaded there are all possibilities that some sort of agreement would have been done, ignoring the wishes of the local population.

What happened in Diego Garcia was wrong but 2 wrongs do not make a right. Throwing off the Falklanders from their land would be just as bad.

If Argentina had as strong a claim on the Falklands and other South Atlantic islands as they constantly claim to have. They would take it to the International Courts but they don't because their claim is weak and its much more valuable as a cheap nationalistic tool for whichever government wants to try and hide whatever self inflicted problem is affecting them at the time.

The certainly know where the ICJ is....

Argentina can't even manage Argentina why do they need some extra territory to mismanage? If I lived in the Falklands I would tremble at the very thought of Crazy Xtina guiding my ship.

Back