Industria Argentina , Is There Anything That Doesnt Break?

Just thought i`d update my original list after a year and bit after purchashing all these for our new house.

Bluesky - cordless kettle. Broken. Update:Replaced with Philips after 6 months. Still going strong.

Philco - fridge freezer within 4 months 2 plastic trays split/broken. Update: two interior metal trays are going rusty at the welded joints. Exterior plastics yellowing.

Longvie built in oven - thermostat doesnt work, bulb housing broken (fravega). Update- No Problems

Domec gas hob - very sharp edges to metal surrounding controls.impossible to clean because knobs dont remove.(fravega) Update- No Problems

Black and decker lawn mower - no power cable just a few inches and a socket, supply your own. Handle fixing plastic holder screws wornout(carrefour).Update- Replaced handle screws. No Problems

Black and decker strimmer -Update: no problems

Electrolux vacumn cleaner - shortest cable i`ve ever seen on a vacumn cleaner, probably 3 metres. (musimundo)Update- Power button doesnt always work. Retractable cable is on its way out.
Electrolux ceiling fans - bought 4 of them, 3 are making squeaking noises that drive you insane. (fravega)Update- Only 1 squeaks now.

Aurora washing machine - at night one led illuminates the whole panel making it difficult to work out whats on/off. Washing program dial letters offset to whats printed on the machine making it difficult to set and coming off already. (fravega). Update- rubber drum seal split , replaced out of warranty (by 2 weeks! $600pesos. Aurora metal logo fell off.

(originally Good)
Panasonic & Philips TVs (musimundo & fravega). Update- No Problems
BGH Microwave (musimundo) Update- stop/reset button no longer works.
Midas air con (paraguayan). Update- automated angle for airflow no longer works. Plastic snapped.
LG23EAS3 LED PC Monitor. Update- No problems

Because they have external competition, multinationals from developped countries that are also trying to control those markets.

I put neoliberal because thats what I call the governments imposed by force in Latam proclaiming and practising that model, killing national industries in almost every country.

Argentine protectionism has guaranteed low quality at high prices. There's a reason nobody wants Argentine manufactured goods.

I bought a whirlpool stove from Coto. Price low...so is quality (altho it isn´t actually dangerous, so long as you have an asbestos apron)
So I was muttering about Argentine rubbish and then I came across www.consumeraffairs.com, which gives Whilrpool stoves a satisfaction rating of 1.5/5.
So the pb is not argentina, it is me being too cheap to lay out for german manufactured equipment. I should have known better.

To me, the cause is plain simple: planned obsolesence. Its a way to stimulate consumption, demand. In other words, it is like that and last so long on purpose. I recommend to google planned obsolesence.

I lived in an African country that receives a lot of Chinese imports of the worst possible quality (I think the Arg quality chinese imports are even slightly higher if you can believe!) - when the africans starting complaining about how terrible the Chinese stuff was, the Chinese ambassador (?) actually had the gall to place the blame on the Africans for continuing to buy their junk! Saying something like, "you can't blame Chinese industry for having low-quality products, because you buy them. (It's somewhat true, but in a country with no industry, and where decent made products are five times more expensive, it just a mind-blowing level of insult).

I lived in an African country that receives a lot of Chinese imports of the worst possible quality (I think the Arg quality chinese imports are even slightly higher if you can believe!) - when the africans starting complaining about how terrible the Chinese stuff was, the Chinese ambassador (?) actually had the gall to place the blame on the Africans for continuing to buy their junk! Saying something like, "you can't blame Chinese industry for having low-quality products, because you buy them. (It's somewhat true, but in a country with no industry, and where decent made products are five times more expensive, it just a mind-blowing level of insult).

yes, but I think it is a myth that planned obsolesence or crappy things come only from China or southeast Asia. There was a big problem with Apple in the US a while ago that despite having a fachade of being friend to nature and protect the enviroment and all that stuff corporations do, they did not have a way to replace the batteries of Ipods. So once the batteries finished, you had to throw your Ipod to the trash. And thats just one example of millions. And do you know where that trash go? computers, printers, photo cameras, tvs, etc,? to African countries, like Ghana. The other side of the coin of consuming these stuff quickly is that the amount of trash is growing amazingly, so the "civilised" countries can have their new stuff but they have to export the trash to Africa. How long do the european or americans cell phones last? they change it every so often, like the same time they last in Argentina. Every 3 years everyone must change their cell phone because do not work anymore. So its not an Asia or Argentine problem, planned obsolesence began in the US, and it had got complicated more and more in the past ten years. Its not a matter of the industry in each country, this is a problem of corporations vs people, of big companies having us as prisoners till the day we die. it also means cosnumption and work, this is perfecct if an economy needs to grow, it is the way to continue the cycle,

yes, but I think it is a myth that planned obsolesence or crappy things come only from China or southeast Asia. There was a big problem with Apple in the US a while ago that despite having a fachade of being friend to nature and protect the enviroment and all that stuff corporations do, they did not have a way to replace the batteries of Ipods. So once the batteries finished, you had to throw your Ipod to the trash. And thats just one example of millions. And do you know where that trash go? computers, printers, photo cameras, tvs, etc,? to African countries, like Ghana. The other side of the coin of consuming these stuff quickly is that the amount of trash is growing amazingly, so the "civilised" countries can have their new stuff but they have to export the trash to Africa. How long do the european or americans cell phones last? they change it every so often, like the same time they last in Argentina. Every 3 years everyone must change their cell phone because do not work anymore. So its not an Asia or Argentine problem, planned obsolesence began in the US, and it had ccomplicated more and more in the past ten years. Its not a matter of the industry in each country, this is a problem of corporations vs people, of big companies having us as prisoners till the day we die. it also means cosnumption and work, this is perfecct if an economy needs to grow, it is the way to continue the cycle,

Those ipod's batteries die prematurelly. Do you know as to why? They are all made in Chino-landia. All other components, they are all made in Japan. And why in Japan? because the Chinos can not imitate the ultra high techie parts ! Apple phones, Sumsungs,Lenovos,Huiwei's, all procure the vital parts from Japan, no one else can provide them in order to assemble those phones!

Those ipod's batteries die prematurelly. Do you know as to why? They are all made in Chino-landia. All other components, they are all made in Japan. And why in Japan? because the Chinos can not imitate the ultra high techie parts ! Apple phones, Sumsungs,Lenovos,Huiwei's, all procure the vital parts from Japan, no one else can provide them in order to assemble those phones!

Sorry Hybrid, but Japan has long been eclipsed in terms of semiconductor components. It is a market completely dominated by the "Chino-landia" as you put it. Even the CPU of the SONY PS4 is designed in the USA (by AMD) and manufactured in Taiwan by TSMC or in Germany by Global Foundries. Japan is now all but irrelevant on the international semi-conductor space.

Lone Japanese Semiconductor Supplier Ranked Among Top 10 in 1H13
http://www.icinsights.com/news/bulletins/Lone-Japanese-Semiconductor-Supplier-Ranked-Among-Top-10-In-1H13/

Its similar here, i`ve heard many Argentines saying how bad "Made in China" products are, especially the toys. I have ended up defending them saying that look at all the kids toys I brought from the UK theyre all still in one piece and working perfectly, and guess where theyre made, China. Its the crap they send over here is the problem, if it isnt broken when you take it out of the packet, it will be before the day is out.

Camberiu-San, I said "vital components" for Cell phones .
CPU can be manufactured cheaply anywhere.
And of course, even my beloved SONY got to buy
them where more lower cost. I thought you were more analytical ...

yes, but I think it is a myth that planned obsolesence or crappy things come only from China or southeast Asia. There was a big problem with Apple in the US a while ago that despite having a fachade of being friend to nature and protect the enviroment and all that stuff corporations do, they did not have a way to replace the batteries of Ipods. So once the batteries finished, you had to throw your Ipod to the trash. And thats just one example of millions. And do you know where that trash go? computers, printers, photo cameras, tvs, etc,? to African countries, like Ghana. The other side of the coin of consuming these stuff quickly is that the amount of trash is growing amazingly, so the "civilised" countries can have their new stuff but they have to export the trash to Africa. How long do the european or americans cell phones last? they change it every so often, like the same time they last in Argentina. Every 3 years everyone must change their cell phone because do not work anymore. So its not an Asia or Argentine problem, planned obsolesence began in the US, and it had got complicated more and more in the past ten years. Its not a matter of the industry in each country, this is a problem of corporations vs people, of big companies having us as prisoners till the day we die. it also means cosnumption and work, this is perfecct if an economy needs to grow, it is the way to continue the cycle,

Huh?
I have 2 sons, and between the 4 of us in our family, we have owned around 20 ipods over the years.
I have replaced batteries in at least three different generations of ipods.
Its no big deal- you need a tiny screwdriver that costs a dollar, and fifteen minutes.
The batteries, like all ipod parts, are easily available online in most industrial countries (not, of course, in Argentina…)
I have also replaced batteries, screens, and other internal parts in iphones.
again, beyond a screwdriver or two, this is a very easy thing to do.
Same thing with screens and batteries in macbooks- easy, fast, and, if you buy the parts in the USA online, cheap.

Of course, all my life, I have refused to be a "consumer"- I carry a swiss army knife with a phillips screwdriver on it at all times, and I have always taken apart, and fixed, all kinds of things.

Back