Inflation Wingers Post Here!

I agree that BA is not a good place to live on a small budget. And Houston is indeed low cost for a US city. Sounds like a good more. Good luck!

What I don't agree with is that restaurants are more expensive than in the States. Maybe if you're talking about rural Vermont, but certainly not more than in any major US city.

I've spent the summer in the States, spending time on both coasts. BA is still a relative bargain for restaurants, especially high end ones. The difference in wine prices makes overall bills considerably lower in BA.

BA is still a good place to live if you make a good salary in foreign currency. The peso is sure to devalue significantly.

French jurist said:
Tomorrow october 1st, raises expected for gas & electricity bills : up to 200%

http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/Reducen-subsidios-sube-costo-electricidad_0_563943652.html

And in Capital, the ABL might increase by 66% (average) :
http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/Capital-quieren-aumentar-ABL-promedio_0_563943709.html

Have a nice day!

Thanks, FJ. Regarding the ABL, here's the first paragraph of the article:

La suba tendría picos de hasta el 300%. Es el proyecto del Ejecutivo, que debe discutir la Legislatura. Lo harían con un alza de la valuación fiscal de las propiedades. La cuota sería mensual. Y proponen que nadie pague menos de $ 600 al año.

This already happened to me and thousands of others in 2007:

In 2007 my ABL did increase 300% (from $200 to $600 pesos).

That was for my apartment in Recoleta.

The ABL for my PH in Nunez in 2009 were still only about $200 per year.

And soon they might be at least $600?

In addition to the crime and grime, this will only add to my premise: It sucks more than ever to live in the city.

(The tax increase will also be passed on to renters, so even if you don't own you are going to pay.)

I have seen Buenos Aires and Argentina many times, when due to currency fluctuations, living was far more expensive than the United States. However I have never seen a time when wine and flowers were more expensive in Argentina. It is a nice place for romance!

Well said, Captain, my captain...;)

Sorry, there's no icon with a salute (or an eyepatch)!:D

But for me living "better" in the U.S. has a lot to do with not having to deal with what I view as the negatives here: horrible customer service, bureaucratic nightmares all the time, increasing crime, lack of diversity, closed off and sometimes unfriendly people who expect you to jump through hoops to break into their circle of trust to become their friend, etc. And now, a high (for me) cost of living that adds to the general frustration. So I know I can have a "better" life in Houston.
This is called "being an immigrant". It happened to me when I was living in Israel, it happened to you, it happens to lots of people living in any country that is not where you grew up.

Strange thing, for most of us locals (meaning, for the vast majority of us excepting those middle-class city dwellers that used to profit from low cost services derived from previously low wages for low class workers) things are improving every day. Restaurants are full because there is a lot of money going around. Me? Still going to 35-40 peso lunches in pretty good establishments.

But yes, the days of good living coming from your scant USD and Euros are over. I can see the same happening in the near future in places like Thailand. Maybe in some years WE will be the ones sipping wine in a penthouse in the States or France.

marksoc said:
This is called "being an immigrant". It happened to me when I was living in Israel, it happened to you, it happens to lots of people living in any country that is not where you grew up.

There are relatively few "immigrants" in Argentina from the USA.

Though I happen to be an exception, most of us are just visitors.

I´m conflicted. Inflation sucks here. It truly does. I do have to limit my spending. Luckily I am simple person and don´t need a lot of luxury. A restaurant bill here is always cringe worthy. Whoever said they don´t think the food is cheaper in the US, are you crazy? Some of the best little sushi and thai restaurants in SF & LA will run you about 10-15 bucks a meal.

However, people my age are having a really rough time in my home state of California too. The amount of unemployed or, underemployed people under 30 is pretty high. I have a lot of friends with good degrees even master´s who have been unemployed for a while. Those that are employed are often working at bars, restaurants etc... Of course the brilliant engineers, doctors etc are doing fine.

I´ll be here for the long haul I think. But, it does alarm me to see the prices rise and I really don´t know what we will do if they reach astronomical levels at some point.

"I apologize in advance if having a positive attitude is inappropriate in this thread"

It isn't a question of being negative, Steve. Just reality. Some of us don't want to live rural lives. Most people who have come to Argentina from the US were attracted to urban life and found BA interesting. For most, isolation in a rural part of Argentina is not an option. If it works for you, that's great but I don't think that many are going to find it appealing. Meanwhile the COL in Buenos Aires is becoming unmanageable. Dealing with it is traumatic, especially if it means having to radically alter your lifestyle or even pull up stakes.

Back