Inflation Wingers Post Here!

Philip and anyone else who is interested .If you can settle for something different than Tabasco I found Louisiana Gold Green Pepper sauce at Walmart for 4 pesos,albeit 2 months ago. Might be 6 now.;)
I was doubtful, but it is a nice flavour made with jalapeño peppers

Taxis up 26% today. Tolls up about 26% as well. My health insurance just went up another 15% - I don't even know how much it is now. 1500 pesos a month maybe?! Stopped drinking diet coke a few months ago b/c it was so expensive (and this was at Makro). Switched to Cunnington for 1/3 of the price and I actually like it better.

I bought a shirt for my BF's mother the other day. 580 pesos. Five hundred eighty pesos!!! :O It's a nice shirt but come on! Shopping for another friend's birthday - 100 pesos a t-shirt at Reverpass. It's a freaking t-shirt.

We've decided we're not really celebrating Xmas this year & are waiting until we go to the US in January to shop/exchange gifts. Prices are too out of control right now.

We bought Cordoba cola the other day. i like it, it's got more of a childhood cola taste. And $3.50 a big bottle instead of $8.50 for Coke!

We're buying strawberries from the people who set up a cart on the street in Belgrano now. It's $10 pesos a kilo from them (was $9 last week) while it is $20 pesos a kilo at Disco and the local verduleria. My housekeeper just told me that near her house in the south it's $5/kilo.

jb5 said:
It's so surprising that restaurants still look very busy on the whole. Who's eating out, is it just tourists?

Old money folks, government payroll folks

Greg2231 said:
Already happened, I am in a Europeen capital city right now, and the grocery store prices are about half of BA for the stuff I usually buy, never mind the selection of quality products here, and the abundance of imported goods from all over. Taxi fares here are 2 pesos a KM, apartment prices seem to be on par with BA, plus there is long term financing available. Used car prices are on par with the US, also electronics are only slightly higher than the US. Restaurants prices feel a little less than BA, but most impotently Beer prices are lower, 6-8 pesos for a half liter in a bar in the center of town.

Rent is a lot more expensive than Budapest, Wien, Zagreb, Berlin. In those cities you can rent a studio flat for EUR300 a month

chris said:
I agree that some things are cheaper in Europe, the US is even cheaper. In general though I think London is worse than BA but other European cities are cheaper than London (but not in Switzerland!). Housing prices? That depends on location. A friend spends his summers in Paris and tells me that provincial cities can be a lot cheaper than Paris so it may be that housing prices in some cities of Europe are comparable to BA's better areas. I can believe that grocery prices in Europe are competitive.

Restaurants? I think people are spending because inflation is eroding the value of their money.

So how long will this go on?

London is more expensive, but not much more

Greg2231 said:
Yah london and Paris, and for that matter The northern European capitals are more expensive than BA for overall cost, though I wouldn't be surprised if a grocery store in Oslo was cheaper than BA. The Capital EU city I am in right now housing prices seem to start just below a €1.000 M2, which is on par with BA, obviously if you go out from the city the prices drop off here just as in BA. I think if cost is a deciding factor in where to live for someone BA should not be even considered as an option.

Bratislava, Zagreb, Budapest, Sofia, Tallinn, where are you at?

[quote name='Don'tMindMe']I came here as a 22-year-old six months out of school and so could happily put up with a lower quality of life, but after two years, living like a college student (worse than I did in college!) has gotten old. I can't afford to do the things that made me fall in love with the city in the first place. Here are a few:

1. Going out to eat/for a coffee-- I miss being able to sit at a table and people watch. I was walking around San Telmo yesterday and wound up at the parque Lezama. I wanted nothing more than to stroll down Caseros and eat lunch at the restaurant of the same name at one of the outside tables, but had to go back to my apartment and eat leftover homemade empanadas instead. Even just a coffee wasn't an option. Next time I'll take the empanadas with me and eat at the park.

2. Going out at night-- Other than a few bars like Puerta Roja that have good happy hours and decently priced food, I've pretty much stopped going out this year. Since January I've been to a boliche twice, which I actually really miss. I've never been a crazy partier and don't care much for the bars in Palermo (the pretentious crowd, ugh) but dancing the night away in BA is a blast. I love going to the movies, but it's just too expensive.

3. Shopping-- I don't for clothing or shoes here. Ever. I actually really need to, and don't just want to, but there's no way in hell I'm doing it here. I walked around Cuesta Blanca the other day and tortured myself a bit, but I know those cute tops will just fall apart, and I could get similar styles with much better quality for like 10 bucks at Target back home.

4. Food shopping-- No soda, no bottled water, no chips or other snack foods, not even instant coffee anymore. Of course I make allowances for wine, but if I'm buying something on a Benjamin Nieto level, that's fancy for me. Chino, verdulería, carnicería, granja, that´s is. Every now and then, barrio chino. Haven't set foot in a Disco or anything like that in months and months.

5. Laundry-- Used to love having lavanderías here, even though your clothes never come back completely clean. But several in San Telmo have gone up to 22 (!!) pesos, and 16 pesos by my boyfriend's place in Palermo. So I have to do a lot of tedious hand washing. Last year in Montserrat I had same-day laundry service for 12 pesos. Speed Queen at México y Lima, I miss you.

6. Apartments-- I used to think BA apartments were so cool. A few months ago, I decided it would be neat to live in Almagro. I looked at four rooms, all in the 370-400 dollar range (I would have liked cheaper, but, well, there isn't). Horrible. Decrepit PHs with no windows, maybe a terrace or something, but if the front door closes and there are two inches of space between the bottom of the door and the ground, you can just imagine the cockroaches there will be in the summer. Dirty, teeny kitchens, four people sharing one bathroom, you get the idea. Note: If you're willing to pay this and have a room the size of a box with a twin bed, the quality goes up a little. But I'd already lived in that type of room, and really didn't want to go back.

I´m out of here at the end of the year and to be honest I can´t wait. I know deep down that even if I did have money here, I still wouldn't like it. I just don't feel a connection to this place, but that's for another thread. If I did, I'd try to get an en blanco job, but even then, I'd be making what, 6000 pesos? I want to save money so I don't have to worry when I'm old. I want to travel, travel with my kids one day. I don't want to have to convert my earnings into dollars and keep my savings in a bank in the U.S. if I don't live there. I want to be able to go out at night and enjoy the city I'm living in without having to scour the internet for free stuff.

I think BA is great if you work remotely and make a foreign currency. But I don't, so I'm out of here.[/quote]

It's not as good even for us working remotely anymore

I'm from London and apart from the crazy rents, almost everything else is already cheaper over there...the main difference is that for second hand stuff, most is dirt cheap or even FREE!!!

Back