Inflation Wingers Post Here!

Food should be accessible for all budgets and good quality food should not cost 200 pesos a person in good restaurants . This is the reality for most expats that eat out in the great city of Buenos Aires.

There is a lack of good quality street food and the options are in the main poor in the simple restaurants . Tacos are a case in point but the mexican places that provide this simple dish are of poor standard . Fabrica del Taco on Gorritti and Thames has some of the worst tacos I have ever eaten and still they charge 13 pesos each . You need three minimum to fiill up as they are so tiny that your appetite will not be satisified by one. Good chinese takeaway is rare , indian take away is available at 2 or three places and is of low quality , vietnamese food is non existent , sushi can be good in a few places but is not accessible for most budgets .

Eating pizzas, choripans, and empanadas is not what I call eating.

Steve I get your point but I still think few expats are interested in non urban environments. Even Zona Norte is too suburban for most, probably too much like what they have left in the US. I doubt that many would find Bahia Blanca appealing and that is not a criticism, just an observation based on the expats I have met. I agree that you are assimilating but there are different kinds of assimilation. A lot of Argentines live in gated communities that look to me like middle class suburbs in the US. That has no appeal to me and l won't assimilate to that. I think a key to assimilation is when your friends are mostly Argentine. But I have to say that they too are unhappy with inflation and some are finding it tough.

A good choripan is one on the world's 10 best street foods IMO. It's my idea of good eating!

perry said:
Fabrica del Taco on Gorritti and Thames has some of the worst tacos I have ever eaten and still they charge 13 pesos each . You need three minimum to fiill up as they are so tiny that your appetite will not be satisified by one.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Worst tacos you've ever eaten?

Have you had street tacos in Mexico? They are small, greasy and delicious. I admit La Fabrica is super expensive, but for Buenos Aires it's great. The only authentic mexican tacos I've found here.

In mexico, I usually ate 6-8 tacos al pastor for a good meal (but they were only 8 mexican pesos each = $0.60!)

El Duderino said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Worst tacos you've ever eaten?

Have you had street tacos in Mexico? They are small, greasy and delicious. I admit La Fabrica is super expensive, but for Buenos Aires it's great. The only authentic mexican tacos I've found here.

In mexico, I usually ate 6-8 tacos al pastor for a good meal (but they were only 8 mexican pesos each = $0.60!)

Yes they use low quality meat in La Fabrica but they are still full because people are desperate for cheap food . Nearly US $ 3,00 for a shitty taco is not my idea of good food.

5 of us ate a feast at Trapiche on Paraguay last night. Trapiche is a high end, traditional Argentine restaurant. Really full and hopping. We had provoleta, chorrozs, ensalida mixta, rabas (calimaries), pork, filet minion with sause, bif de chorizo, a fabulous desert, 2 bottles of Trapiche Malbec, 2 cokes and 2 or 3 waters for atotal bill of 700 pesos including a large tip for a super waiter. This is about 175 pesos or $40US per person for way too much, excellent food. I couldn't touch that $100 per person in an equivalent US restaurant.

Also, I've been drinking excellent 35 to 40 peso wine here. You can buy equivalent at Costco for $17 to $20.

If you have to eat ethnic food and/or at fancy US style restaurants you'll get what you pay for. Cook that stuff at home and eat much better.

5 of us ate a feast at Trapiche on Paraguay last night. Trapiche is a high end, traditional Argentine restaurant. Really full and hopping. We had provoleta, chorrozs, ensalida mixta, rabas (calimaries), pork, filet minion with sause, bif de chorizo, a fabulous desert, 2 bottles of Trapiche Malbec, 2 cokes and 2 or 3 waters for atotal bill of 700 pesos including a large tip for a super waiter. This is about 175 pesos or $40US per person for way too much, excellent food. I couldn't touch that $100 per person in an equivalent US restaurant.

Also, I've been drinking excellent 35 to 40 peso wine here. You can buy equivalent at Costco for $17 to $20.

If you have to eat ethnic food and/or at fancy US style restaurants you'll get what you pay for. Cook that stuff at home and eat much better.

Once again. Meat, meat, cheese, meat, meat, wine, meat, meat. For many expats, the world of dining does not begin and end with the parrilla. What about those of us who don't eat meat, or who would simply like other, healthier options (fish, vegetable-heavy dishes, whole grains, etc)? I don't think it's fair to say "you can eat really well for cheap in BA... unless you want something other than beef, then sorry, cook it at home."

That said, the salad bar at Juana M is phenomenal and only 36 pesos for all-you-can-eat. Amazing deal.

Trapiche does have many fish dishes. Don't know about veggies.

"you can eat really well for cheap in BA... unless you want something other than beef, then sorry, cook it at home."

That is not my quote. I just said that if you can cook at home what you can't get or afford eating out, you will eat better. Eat the BA food out, eat the fancy stuff at home, if you can.

perry said:
Yes they use low quality meat in La Fabrica but they are still full because people are desperate for cheap food . Nearly US $ 3,00 for a shitty taco is not my idea of good food.

$3 for a tiny taco is cheap food? This makes absolutely no sense, but I'm not going to continue to argue with you about this, haha.

El Duderino said:
$3 for a tiny taco is cheap food? This makes absolutely no sense, but I'm not going to continue to argue with you about this, haha.

yes and it makes no sense but the truth is this is considered cheap food in Buenos Aires . Shittys tacos are $ 3 each minimum in Buenos Aires . Do you know any place that they are cheaper ?

Back