Inflation Wingers Post Here!

marksoc said:
Of course, if I was an expat earning in USD with a fixed income I would be also remembering the old good times of 3 dollar-steaks.

Even though I didn't quote it all, I have to say I think this is the best post you've ever made!

Your punch line (above) is one of the best of all time!

It's unfortunate that some wannabe expats find old web sites/posts that contian expressions like this: "Retire to dirt cheap Buenos Aires" (which I read in 2006 prior to my first visit):

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...RetireInStyle/RetiretoBuenosAires.aspx?page=2

Read more (if desired):

http://www.google.com.ar/search?cli...rceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

marksoc said:
If you are a scientist, a teacher, or poor, now you can do science without leaving the country, teach with dignity, and eat for a change :)
What do you mean "with dignity", are you implying that it was undignified to teach before?

ndcj said:
Read the article carefully, especially regarding electricity prices. The reduction of subsidies applies to very heavy users (no change so far as I can tell if you use less than 1,000kWh/bi-monthly).

The headline is just sensationalism at Clarin's best. The price rises affect less than 10% of electricity users. The gas price rises will affect more (36%), but it's not so much a rise as the removal of the special winter subsidy that applied, being that it's not winter any more.

If you're using more than 500kWh a month, even as a large family, you need to seriously examine your power usage, or suck it up and still enjoy some of the cheapest utility rates in the world. At the highest new rate you'll be paying somewhere around $0.112/kWh, and that only applies if you use more than 2,800kWh/bi-monthly.

That article is a bit old now (September 30, 2011). Since then, gas and electricity subsidies are indeed being eliminated for residents of Recoleta, Palermo, Belgrano, Retiro, Nuñez and Puerto Madero starting on January 1, 2012. (See http://www.argentinaindependent.com...argentina/subsidy-cuts-officially-announced-/) The rest of the country will follow.

There are also reports that it's not just the subsidies being eliminated - rates could rise some 34% or more as well. Add this to the ABL increases, and you have some pretty significant increases in the cost of apartments.

Sleuth said:
That article is a bit old now (September 30, 2011). Since then, gas and electricity subsidies are indeed being eliminated for residents of Recoleta, Palermo, Belgrano, Retiro, Nuñez and Puerto Madero starting on January 1, 2012. (See http://www.argentinaindependent.com...argentina/subsidy-cuts-officially-announced-/) The rest of the country will follow.

There are also reports that it's not just the subsidies being eliminated - rates could rise some 34% or more as well. Add this to the ABL increases, and you have some pretty significant increases in the cost of apartments.

I was just told today by my roommate that those who do not opt out of the subsidies before the new year will have all of their finances reviewed (read: investigated) to determine whether or not they can continue to receive subsidies. :eek:

No wonder my roommate doesn't want to put air conditioning units in the apartment. :eek:

What do you mean "with dignity", are you implying that it was undignified to teach before?

Yes, before the K the wages of teachers were abysmal; consequently teachers in the 1990s were of a lesser quality, since nobody with a brain wanted to teach. Now it is possible to live off a teacher´s pension and wage, now competent people is taking up the profession again.

@marksoc What do you smoke? You can't get a studio flat for under USD800 a month

You can get a top apartment for 3400 Pesos (those 800 USD you mention), provided of course that you have a guarantee. Have an idea for ya: move with a local. Share a big place and pay less than 400 USD for your woes. If you want to throw your money be my guest.

Napoleon said:
I was just told today by my roommate that those who do not opt out of the subsidies before the new year will have all of their finances reviewed (read: investigated) to determine whether or not they can continue to receive subsidies. :eek:

No wonder my roommate doesn't want to put air conditioning units in the apartment. :eek:

I don't understabnd what you are saying. Aren't 'subsidies' built into rates? How can you opt out? If they eliminate or reduce subsidies for certain areas, they eliminate them. You have no choice. What do you mean?

chris said:
I don't understabnd what you are saying. Aren't 'subsidies' built into rates? How can you opt out? If they eliminate or reduce subsidies for certain areas, they eliminate them. You have no choice. What do you mean?

As part of their new plan, subsidies in the neighborhoods I mentioned are being eliminated on January 1, 2012. They are also asking people with larger incomes in other neighborhoods to "voluntarily" opt out of receiving the subsidies and be altruistic.

When I saw this on the news, I thought, "Who is actually going to do this?" Of course, now that Napoleon posts that your income could come under review, I can see the benefit... :)

Mark, can you describe these top apartments? Location, size, amenities?

I'm guessing he meant top studio apt for 3400 pesos. B/C that isn't the price for any other size top apt - even if you have a guarantor.

Top apts have multiple doormen, security guards, maintenance men, amenities like pools, SUMs, parillas, gardens, fresh flowers, parking garages etc, etc. And all those cost LOTS of money which is reflected in the monthly charges. The buiding expensas alone for a 1 BR in a top building could be close to 3400 pesos a month.

Back