Insane Landlords

TheBlackHand said:
So to any uneducated turd who actually thinks it's good business to rent to short term tourists or undocumented foreigners instead of legal citizens or residents with guarantees, all I have to say is, HAHAHAHA.

Then why do people do it? :rolleyes: It's obviously good business for one reason or another. Also, you don't run the risk of some local moving in, losing his job, and finding it near impossible to get him out. :p At least you know tourists are going home eventually.

There's positive and negatives to both the short term market and long term... but they're separate markets, for separate people.

I highly recommend this site for anybody who has been swindled or mistreated by any company.
www.ripoffreport.com
This story about Casa SanTelmo definitely belongs on there.

Because it's another option to rent their apartments :rolleyes:
Eclair said:
Then why do people do it?

As a property owner, in this economy, a long term lease makes much more sense. How many properties have you owned and rented out in Argentina ? I'd hate this think I was speaking to someone who really had no first hand knowledge on the subject.

Eclair said:
It's obviously good business for one reason or another.

That is why Guarantees were invented. If someone squats on my property, the Guarantor will by law have to pay all damages and if they don't, their property can get auctioned off to pay for said damages. That is why Guarantees aren't taken lightly and that is why they are required for all legal 2 year leases.

Eclair said:
Also, you don't run the risk of some local moving in, losing his job, and finding it near impossible to get him out.

I'm done, it gets tedious speaking facts to people who only want to ignore them and instead go off random assumptions because that's all they have to prove their weak unfounded points.

Listening to some of the landlords how hard they have it, one might think that they are literally starving

TheBlackHand, I am sure you are speaking from years of personal experience and perhaps many properties which you actually genuinely care about and take care of properly as an investment.

There is a market in BA of people who buy apartments or have apartments in BA solely with the intent of renting them out short term, in USD, to tourists and permatourists, they tend to bank on having a desireable location (Palermo SoHo and Recoleta) and they take very minimal care of the places, furnish them sparsely (minimalistic is chic after all) and besides the expensas and the weekly cleaning lady who earns 20 pesos an hour, are not spending a dime, so when there is something that needs to be done, sometimes as a result of them not taking proper care before you even moved in, they flip out, even though they have been happily charging you $1250 USD for a studio in Palermo for the last 6 months.

Well, this is how the story ends... We left on time, February 25th. We fixed everything that we agreed on , save for a few things, like the oven handle that had to be ordered but we left the money. We did not get the deposit back or the reimbursement on the parking space, but we agreed with them that they could keep that money towards whatever they wanted to fix or do with the apartment. Plus, the place couldn't have been cleaner, I scrubbed every surface as clean as I could. We got an email yesterday from the agency stating they went to check out the apartment, that it is still in muy malas condiciones, and since they could not rent the apartment for the month of March due to our errors they are demanding that we pay at least another $1,300 pesos more to replace the bar in the kitchen due to some scratches or whatever (I don't really know...) and that they do not consider the apartment entregado, and we have to pay the month of rent/expenses for March... I really thought that fixing everything agreed on and leaving on time, letting them keep the deposit, not making a big deal about the parking reimbursement would all be enough. I just don't know what to do. Furthermore, I don't have the money to pay them rent/expenses for March, I am in a new place now and I only have enough to pay rent where I live now... I have no idea what to do. This sucks....

TheBlackHand said:
I'm done, it gets tedious speaking facts to people who only want to ignore them and instead go off random assumptions because that's all they have to prove their weak unfounded points.

I'm really not arguing about which one is better or is going to make you more money... there's obviously a large market for BOTH long term and short term rentals. But let's not pretend short term rentals aren't geared towards tourists and that property owners aren't making money off it. You may think they're better off renting long term to locals, but obviously these owners chose differently for one reason or another after doing the math. :rolleyes: No reason to get all defensive about it.

OP - Sorry your situation didn't have a happy resolution. :( The rental company agrees that the apartment is in bad shape? I would put my foot down and refuse to pay if I felt I was in the right. Chances are it's not worth their while to take you to court over $1,300 pesos and a month's rent. Cutting off contact unless it's through a lawyer or a demanda might be the way to go if you feel these people are harrassing you. On the other hand, if you did cause significant damage to the apartment, you have the obligation to fix it - just make sure you get receipts for any work or replaced items.

I'm really not arguing about which one is better or is going to make you more money... there's obviously a large market for BOTH long term and short term rentals. But let's not pretend short term rentals aren't geared towards tourists and that property owners aren't making money off it. You may think they're better off renting long term to locals, but obviously these owners chose differently for one reason or another after doing the math. No reason to get all defensive about it.

Agreed. Curiously most of the rentals listed on Craigs List for example are short-term rentals and are priced in US dollars. While these may not be neccessarily ¨foreigner rentals¨ and open to anyone needing short term housing, I can´t see NINGUN Argentino paying $700 USD a month for a room in a flat in Barrio Norte-NI EN PEDO.

Back