Iphone 5 To Be Announced Sept 12!

Sleuth said:
Those patents will probably end up coming under FRAND. It's going to be a long legal road before anything is blocked.

Hopefully it changes the way technology patents currently work as they are helping no one but the lawyers.

I never was an Apple fan until a few years ago when I finally switched to a Mac (Macbook Pro) and never turned back. I'll NEVER go back to PC after this. I wish I converted over sooner.

I love all the Mac products - Macbook Pro, have a 27' iMac, entire household of Ipads.

However, I'd quite honestly say this Iphone 5 is a huge disappointment. I certainly won't be getting it until at least the nanoSIM becomes an industry wide norm and I can easily get it in any country I travel to.

ElQueso said:
I could go on and on about the differences between things such as Windows and what I've heard about the Mac OS, but there's one thing I KNOW as a developer of more than 20 years of experience - MS has done a SUPERB job of creating tools and APIs for developers to do some serious work, even down to creating multiple languages that are all compiled into the same intermediate language. Basic damned near as fast (if not actually AS fast) as C# - that means a lot to a lot of people. This allows for more developers to create more varied apps easier than any other operating system in the world. In addition, there are millions of third-party tools available that all use the same efficient framework and extends MS' original work vastly.
MS's developer center and their Visual Studio IDE are great. I do a lot of work in .NET, it's fine, so's Java, so's objective-C, so's PHP. At this point I'm mostly platform-agnostic, although I tend to not like working in .NET just because I dislike windows itself. FYI, OS X's developer tools are very solid as well - and xcode, their IDE, is free, unlike VS. There are a lot of developers (myself included) writing code primarily for windows/unix/linux systems on macbooks, mostly because the hardware is very nice, and the OS subjectively feels/looks better. A lot of the most virulent apple-haters in my office (which is primarily a .NET/LAMP shop) use macbooks & macbook pros now for those reasons. It's not a technical/non-technical user distinction.

That said, IOS is a terrible environment to write code in, as are the other mobile OS's. They're primarily tools for consumption, and for that purpose they're amazing "toys".

demokritos said:
The thing about tossing around labels is it mostly reflects on the person doing the labeling.

http://www.sharms.org/blog/2010/12/on-why-open-source-developers-run-mac-os-x/

Agreed! Darn those scientists for all their labeling woes, making observations and then attempting to detect patterns which help them form reliable predictions which have benefited mankind ad infinitum!!

Interesting article though, limit choice and increase productivity(?) Seems viable enough when it's code and closed systems hinder distraction. Not sure about the larger non-tech world where opportunity and ability create competition and progress thrives (Unless Apple have patented it that is).

Am I even allowed to use brackets anymore as they are pretty much 'curved edges'?

scottlyon said:
Agreed! Darn those scientists for all their labeling woes, making observations and then attempting to detect patterns which help them form reliable predictions which have benefited mankind ad infinitum!!

I see. So your thesis that apple users are technically ignorant was scientific, helping you to form reliable predictions to benefit mankind? By all means, carry on!

In this case I was pointing out the error in your claim, and the incongruity in you making it. But maybe "scottlyon" just your baexpats name, and you're actually the ghost of Dennis Ritchie.

As far as the rest - restricting choice as a basic strategy to encourage productivity - could make a good thread. Maybe some people hadn't heard of that one before.

I am an Iphone fan but have to say, the Iphone 5 is disappointing. Bigger and faster? That is it?????

I would expecting bigger and faster but also expecting more!!!! I think Apple has been too busy to court and no focusing on R&D..

Back